GDT: Leafs vs Wild 7:30 PM Sportsnet

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It's not the result we deserved, but the one we needed

I'm not a tanker by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but I do want that first pick and COR you summed it up perfectly.

It is a bit disheartening that we lost but it was a good game and maybe Saturday we will have Michalek and Parenteau back, they both know where the net is and we have been losing 1 goal games, maybe we can get a point or two with these vets back.(but hopefully still get that first pick.:))

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Some winning is needed for moral and for improving the overall culture. Some winning is needed for the youth (even the veterans, who lead by example), to buy into Babcock's system. Don't get me wrong, I want the first overall pick, but I never want to see the team just throw the remaining games away like we did last year.

There is something very wrong about cheering for goals against. There is a very stark difference to cheering against your team, and cheering for your team to win but seeing the silver lining in their losses.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Babs is getting fined, but I'm glad he did it. Hell, if I were him, I would probably have gotten myself run from the game after that call.

Gotta stand up for your players.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 2-1 loss against Minnesota on Thursday night.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Some winning is needed for moral and for improving the overall culture. Some winning is needed for the youth (even the veterans, who lead by example), to buy into Babcock's system. Don't get me wrong, I want the first overall pick, but I never want to see the team just throw the remaining games away like we did last year.

There is something very wrong about cheering for goals against. There is a very stark difference to cheering against your team, and cheering for your team to win but seeing the silver lining in their losses.

The fans who cheer for losses are so sick and tired from decades of failure they are willing to cheer against their favorite team just to bring in franchise talent. No different than fans who want a first overall pick without wanting the losses. Whatever people need to get through the torture of a rebuild, so be it.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
The fans who cheer for losses are so sick and tired from decades of failure they are willing to cheer against their favorite team just to bring in franchise talent. No different than fans who want a first overall pick without wanting the losses. Whatever people need to get through the torture of a rebuild, so be it.

It's just the way the league is set up, so I don't see a problem with cheering for losses. If the league wants to eliminate this phenomenon, integrate a relegation system.

Losing gets rewarded, and so we cheer.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009

Don't see why you can't cheer for the team to win and simply see the silver lining to the losses. Cheering for the team to lose is just that...cheering for the team to lose.

And at what point do you switch back to cheering for us to win? How do you gage that?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Lmao I was thinking the same thing.

Good ol' Don Lou Lamoriello.

5844465_orig.jpg

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not really sure why people have this pedestal that they can't cheer for their team to lose, when it's actually cheering for the team's long-term success

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Anyone tracked the ice times tonight? Rielly with another 27 minute outgoing and looked solid out there. Babs want him to take over #1 D from this season onwards, I like it.

Learn most when you're forced to learn - success though, depends if you can handle the amount, and it seems like he can.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Losing gets rewarded, and so we cheer.

Unfortunately.

And at what point do you switch back to cheering for us to win? How do you gage that?

You switch back once the entire tear down is complete and the new core is in place. That could happen as early as the 2017-18 season or at the latest 2018-19 based on the contracts we have left. That all depends on Lous ability as a GM.

We all knew what this season (and now next) were all about so cheering for players who are temps to be converted into draft picks and prospects seems futile.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Carrick and Soshnikov impressing.

Kapenen and Nylander need to step up. The skill is there, is the effort?

Kadri and Reilly are the leaders on this team. Both look great.

The effort is there. At this time teams are gearing up/fighting for the playoffs. The pace is fast. I think they all have played great (rookie mistakes here and there).

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Don't see why you can't cheer for the team to win and simply see the silver lining to the losses. Cheering for the team to lose is just that...cheering for the team to lose.

I see it this way as well.

The losses are easier knowing what it could help, but I'm in no way cheering for the other team to score.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Haven't been impressed by Nylander. Not making decisions quick enough, losing battles, not keeping his feet moving.

Kap has been inconsistent, but amazing when he's on. Pretty much the story of his career thus far. Could use another year of seasoning for sure.

Hyman's been a brute. Knew he'd be an NHL caliber player when I saw him live, his strength and motor will take him places. Laich made a comparison to Oshie, I can sort of see it, with toned down puck skills.

Sosh has come as advertised. Have to think he sticks.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I'm all for the tank but a win once and a while would be nice...how a team doesn't take at least 1 penalty in a game is laughable really...

Have you seen Calgary's unstoppable tank? It's about to blow ours right out of the water. Give me at least a 5 game losing streak, then I'm OK (but not necessarily happy) with a win.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I'm in England right now and just woke up to see the highlights. I almost never complain about the officiating, but that was a bad, bad call on Komarov.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately.

You switch back once the entire tear down is complete and the new core is in place. That could happen as early as the 2017-18 season or at the latest 2018-19 based on the contracts we have left. That all depends on Lous ability as a GM.

We all knew what this season (and now next) were all about so cheering for players who are temps to be converted into draft picks and prospects seems futile.

I look at it a little different, every fall hope springs eternal and the cheering begins. By all star break if the playoffs are already a pipe dream, just lose baby. Certainly if you are sellers by trade deadline, just lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad