GDT: Leafs vs Wild 7:30 PM Sportsnet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babs is getting fined, but I'm glad he did it. Hell, if I were him, I would probably have gotten myself run from the game after that call.

Gotta stand up for your players.

Not much respect for the young guys.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh:

I'm pretty sure he's trolling... I hope lol.

What's wrong with showing stats? It's good people get some humble pie-because around here Nylander and Marner are the reasons we shouldn't target Stamkos... They have been catapulted by fandom to McDavid levels and that's not the case. It's going to take time for these kids to perform and don't be shocked with non franchise players off the hop(if ever).

So, yes bud 3gp 7 SOG and he plays a bit shy in ways. I am sure he will get some points in time but don't expect a ppg, should never have expected that anyways.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Haven't been impressed by Nylander. Not making decisions quick enough, losing battles, not keeping his feet moving.

Kap has been inconsistent, but amazing when he's on. Pretty much the story of his career thus far. Could use another year of seasoning for sure.

Hyman's been a brute. Knew he'd be an NHL caliber player when I saw him live, his strength and motor will take him places. Laich made a comparison to Oshie, I can sort of see it, with toned down puck skills.

Sosh has come as advertised. Have to think he sticks.

Out of all the kids, Hyman was the worst yesterday. Get having plays in the offensive zone die on his stick, and gave the puck away too much for my liking. The effort is there to be a good player, it's a matter of skill that will determine whether he ends up as a top nine guy or a bottom line energy guy.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yep, Nylander, Kapanen and Hyman have a combined 0 pts in 3 NHL games. Its obvious the rebuild isnt working, time to start over.:help::shakehead

Don't even bother with that guy. The three games have been against two elite teams and a team noted for their strong defensive play in Minny. I'm sure when they play Ottawa the kids will generate more offense.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
What's wrong with showing stats? It's good people get some humble pie-because around here Nylander and Marner are the reasons we shouldn't target Stamkos... They have been catapulted by fandom to McDavid levels and that's not the case. It's going to take time for these kids to perform and don't be shocked with non franchise players off the hop(if ever).

So, yes bud 3gp 7 SOG and he plays a bit shy in ways. I am sure he will get some points in time but don't expect a ppg, should never have expected that anyways.

For the record, even McDavid had 1 point in his first 3 games. And then again nothing in his 4th.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yep, Nylander, Kapanen and Hyman have a combined 0 pts in 3 NHL games. Its obvious the rebuild isnt working, time to start over.:help::shakehead

I don't think he is suggesting he is a bust. I think he sounds like he was expecting McDavid. Marner likely wont start a ppg either so people just need to get used to it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
For the record, even McDavid had 1 point in his first 3 games. And then again nothing in his 4th.

Haha oh I know it just makes me laugh though. The kids are ok they just play a bit kiddish still. They'll lose that quickly especially playing against teams in the PO hunt. It's most intense hockey they can be exposed to outside the PO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kids will be/have been fine. Hyman and Soshnikov have been considerably better which is expected with their age.

I'd say out of the 3 games, Hyman has been the best overall.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hyman has looked like he could stick, but not as a top 6 forward.

Kapanen and Nylander have displayed some nice skills, and some good efforts on the defensive side, but they haven't finished anything yet. Kapanen has looked stronger on the puck.

Soshnikov looks like a top 9 forward, perhaps top 6, looks like he can be a 200' player, and seems intelligent all over the ice.

Huge age difference between them, 19 to 23 can be a physical transformation age.

As for not scoring ... name me a Leafs player who has over the 3 games? Very small list.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I brought up the fact that the kids were struggling and looked awful in the 2nd period.

The things that they do at the AHL level don't work at the NHL level. The cute little pass out of the zone that they can get away with in the AHL, is turned over and cause them to be hemmed in their own end.

That's easy to fix though.

The thing that you can't teach is the natural instincts of Kapanen, who stops on a dime and creates plays with guys cutting to the net. And you're not going to teach the vision that Nylander has.

The problem that they are running into is that they are all trying to learn the NHL speed and what they can get away with at the same time and that's what causes the long defensive zone time and the short offensive zone times.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hyman has looked like he could stick, but not as a top 6 forward.

Kapanen and Nylander have displayed some nice skills, and some good efforts on the defensive side, but they haven't finished anything yet. Kapanen has looked stronger on the puck.

Soshnikov looks like a top 9 forward, perhaps top 6, looks like he can be a 200' player, and seems intelligent all over the ice.

Huge age difference between them, 19 to 23 can be a physical transformation age.

As for not scoring ... name me a Leafs player who has over the 3 games? Very small list.

Soshnikov has looked really engaged with plays. He's also getting room on the ice because Komarov is heading into the corners and opening that space up for him. There's a couple of times that he was positioned in the high slot to take a pass from a guy like the Corporal after retrieving the puck and he either took the shot or was deflected away.

I think that he could be a top 6 guy for sure.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I have been happy with the kids overall. This is just the ground floor and it gets better from here. One of these days these kids will be scoring OT winners in the playoffs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nylander. 3 GP, 7 SOG, 0 PTS

We'll have to hope Marner can translate his game to the NHL.

And so it begins.............man if this kid can't turn the franchise around in 3 games maybe we picked the wrong guy. :laugh:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I don't remember Boyes getting hurt last night or even leaving the game early.

I think he caught something from Lou.. Maybe that Parisian "Tanque" virus, or something..? :sarcasm: :popcorn:

The only highlights I've seen from last night's game are the Sports highlights on the news, so I can't comment much on this game yet..., until I watch more..., except to say, that it appears we have kept our GA average down, since losing Dion.. and bringing up the Young Guns.. :)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Realistically, when should Nylander be sent back down?
Looking at the schedule; I would like him to get atleast one road trip in.
See some rivals (Ott-X2, Buf, Det)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander is suffering from the same thing McDavid did in those first 4 games of his. Waiting for the game to come to him. Hopefully he'll figure it out.

This was one of those games where I'm really happy I don't care much if we win or lose.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The team has been shockingly competitive with this young lineup. And this is with many youthful mistakes of not filling shooting and passing lanes, turning over the puck in bad areas, taking longer shifts, etc. Add some enhanced discipline to these young legs and we may be surprised by the competitive level of next year's team if the team can get some reliable goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad