GDT: Leafs vs Wild 7:30 PM Sportsnet

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
The team has been shockingly competitive with this young lineup. And this is with many youthful mistakes of not filling shooting and passing lanes, turning over the puck in bad areas, taking longer shifts, etc. Add some enhanced discipline to these young legs and we may be surprised by the competitive level of next year's team if the team can get some reliable goaltending.

Agreed. What also gets lot in all this, is a ton of ages to the roster between call ups, injuries and players leaving at the TD. So...its not easy for the existing players either, as they are playing with a lot of new and inexperienced players.

Mad Brills*

Wonder if we see the kids getting games off 2x a week coming up

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hyman reminds me of Lance Bouma with his play .. Fast, physical, a bit of skill but not enough for a top 6 guy .. Maybe he could be solid third liner.

One thing that's good to see with Nylander is that he's managing his two-way game well. Good positionally and is keeping up. That's a good indication that he will stick. His cerebral style of play will take some adjusting to in the NHL because he needs to adapt to the speed of the game and lack of space. I think he just needs to get his feet moving more in the offensive zone.

Another thing I've noticed about Nylander is that his cerebral style of play almost makes him look unnoticeable out there, until he gets the puck and makes a play. Then at the end of the game you see that he still get a few scoring chances in the game. It's just a matter of time for him and he'll figure it out.

Kapanen has looking more dynamic because of his explosive skating, but we know Nylander is more skilled.

Too bad JVR is injured because I would have loved how a JVR - Nylander - Kapanen line would look like right now.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Nylander is suffering from the same thing McDavid did in those first 4 games of his. Waiting for the game to come to him. Hopefully he'll figure it out.

This was one of those games where I'm really happy I don't care much if we win or lose.

This is a really good point. When he has the puck you can see the magic, but he doesn't do enough to go after the puck. He's very passive right now.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
i know Grabner doesn't score but he make really good defens work i think the last 2 Games.
I hope for him he find a way to score 2-3 Goals this season more than he become a 1-2 year contract i think..

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Toronto Maple Leafs vs Minnesota Wild - March 3rd 2016 - (HD)

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
And so it begins.............man if this kid can't turn the franchise around in 3 games maybe we picked the wrong guy. :laugh:

I never said anything about him turning the franchise around or his inability to do it. You came up with that all on your own.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman reminds me of Lance Bouma with his play .. Fast, physical, a bit of skill but not enough for a top 6 guy .. Maybe he could be solid third liner.

One thing that's good to see with Nylander is that he's managing his two-way game well. Good positionally and is keeping up. That's a good indication that he will stick. His cerebral style of play will take some adjusting to in the NHL because he needs to adapt to the speed of the game and lack of space. I think he just needs to get his feet moving more in the offensive zone.

Another thing I've noticed about Nylander is that his cerebral style of play almost makes him look unnoticeable out there, until he gets the puck and makes a play. Then at the end of the game you see that he still get a few scoring chances in the game. It's just a matter of time for him and he'll figure it out.

Kapanen has looking more dynamic because of his explosive skating, but we know Nylander is more skilled.

Too bad JVR is injured because I would have loved how a JVR - Nylander - Kapanen line would look like right now.
I agree with you. It was good that they were hemmed in our end and still surpressed shots and didn't take penalties.
Re willie skating. I think it is so fluid and technically sound that he moves effortlessly, thus the reason some people think he's floating. He just needs to be heavier on the puck and he will be a beast.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is a really good point. When he has the puck you can see the magic, but he doesn't do enough to go after the puck. He's very passive right now.

Yeah. Another example was when one of his wingers were carrying the puck, Will would just skate along waiting to see what happens. You'd like him to use his skating more to open up room and opportunities for his linemates to move the puck.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Yeah. Another example was when one of his wingers were carrying the puck, Will would just skate along waiting to see what happens. You'd like him to use his skating more to open up room and opportunities for his linemates to move the puck.

Yea, he could use his gifts a little more to his advantage. I will say this though, although many say it is a crap stat, the fact that Nylander, Kap and Hyman are even+/- after 3 games and 3 losses, is pretty remarkable. They may not be winning their match-ups, but hey haven`t lost them either.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Those are good points ... Willie will have to engage himself more, and fight for space/the puck more at this level.

But it seems to me like this is the next step in his development. He doesn't look out of place right now and really the best way for him to learn how he can score in the NHL now is to just play, adjust, and go through the growing pains. I trust Babcock can get him going right. Plus he can learn what he'll need to do over the off-season and come better prepared for camp next season.

I am encouraged by his positioning though .. That's a big thing with me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Those are good points ... Willie will have to engage himself more, and fight for space/the puck more at this level.

But it seems to me like this is the next step in his development. He doesn't look out of place right now and really the best way for him to learn how he can score in the NHL now is to just play, adjust, and go through the growing pains. I trust Babcock can get him going right. Plus he can learn what he'll need to do over the off-season and come better prepared for camp next season.

I am encouraged by his positioning though .. That's a big thing with me.

Definitely better for Nylander if he stays up. Hes got to fight through it. Anyone who expected him to have an immediate impact is out to lunch. AHL is far, far, far below the level of the NHL.

Even for blue chip prospects it takes 20+ games to get your feet wet and start learning the speed of the game,

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Did not Nylander start slow last season in the AHL as well? I think it rings a bell that he even do he looked talented enough he was also a bit hesitant. And then he scored a ugly goal and he was into it, or something like that.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Did not Nylander start slow last season in the AHL as well? I think it rings a bell that he even do he looked talented enough he was also a bit hesitant. And then he scored a ugly goal and he was into it, or something like that.

That's how I remember it also. Once he learns the speed and adjusts to it, he'll be making plays naturally.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Lets not forget... you throw Nylander into the NHL with his first four games against two of the hottest teams in the entire NHL and the best team in the NHL. Pretty hard to get your **** together against potential cup contenders in TB, WAS and MIN... OTT should be a nice break for Nylander to get a few points.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Definitely better for Nylander if he stays up. Hes got to fight through it. Anyone who expected him to have an immediate impact is out to lunch. AHL is far, far, far below the level of the NHL.

Even for blue chip prospects it takes 20+ games to get your feet wet and start learning the speed of the game,

to be fair .. usually blue chip prospects are coming in from Junior.

huge difference between the jump from Junior to the NHL versus the AHL to NHL.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
And so it begins.............man if this kid can't turn the franchise around in 3 games maybe we picked the wrong guy. :laugh:

It sure makes McDavid happy that he didn't go to Toronto or he would have already been categorized as a failure when he didn't do much in his first 3 games:shakehead

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
It sure makes McDavid happy that he didn't go to Toronto or he would have already been categorized as a failure when he didn't do much in his first 3 games:shakehead

I doubt it. it's not even comparable.

McDavid was a 18 year old that only played as high as Junior hockey.

Nylander has played in two AHL seasons, and also before then two seasons with MODO.

not that i'm agreeing with the 3 game post at all, but comparing this to mcdavid or any kid just out of junior is a bit far fetched.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I doubt it. it's not even comparable.

McDavid was a 18 year old that only played as high as Junior hockey.

Nylander has played in two AHL seasons, and also before then two seasons with MODO.

not that i'm agreeing with the 3 game post at all, but comparing this to mcdavid or any kid just out of junior is a bit far fetched.

Yeah, you make it sound as if Nylander is a 22 year old young veteran here. He is still 19 and does not turn 20 until another couple of months.
He has played 43 SHL games over 2 seasons, half of them on the 3rd and 4th line (in his draft year). A normal SHL season is 55 games btw.

And he has played 74 AHL games over two seasons (1 AHL season is 76 games).

Nylander hopefully sticks with the Leafs so he finally can get some consistency, he have jumped around a lot for his young age between different leagues and teams.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
It's no surprise Nylander was a little tentative.

At this point in the season the playoff race really starts to heat up and a team in the fight of it like Minnesota is obviously going to play very stingy and it's not going to be easy for any rookie to find much room out there.

Be patient and let him work through it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad