GDT: Leafs vs Wild 7:30 PM Sportsnet

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-Minnesota Wild: Thursday game preview

Minnesota’s Nino Niederreiter has six multi-point games this season, making him one of the more underrated players in the Western Conference.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Wed Mar 02 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup:Nino Niederreiter vs. Morgan Rielly.

Niederreiter has six multi-point games this season, making him one of the more underrated players in the Western Conference. He will present a challenge for Rielly and the rest of the Leafs’ young defencemen. Niederreiter has eight points (five goals, three assists) in his last nine games and 33 points in 64 games this season (14 goals, 19 assists). He also has 103 hits, fourth most on a Wild team that uses the body and finishes checks as well as anyone in their conference. He is producing while playing on the team’s third line with Eric Haula and Jason Pominville, which Wild coach John Torchetti uses as a shut down line against top opposition forwards.

Nice depth: The Wild have been getting good production from secondary lines. Pominville had a goal and two assists in a win over Colorado this week, and now has 12 points in his last eight games. Pominville enjoys facing Toronto, with 19 goals and 31 points in 55 career games — his highest total against any one team. Charlie Coyle had two goals against Colorado and now has 11 goals in his last 18 games, which ties him for fourth in the NHL since Jan. 21.

Riding high: Haula now has a career high nine goals and 23 points, as well as leading the Wild with a plus-16 rating.

Veteran saavy: Captain Mikko Koivu set the franchise record for games played last weekend, reaching 744 career games in a Wild uniform. Koivu surpassed former Wild defenceman Eric Schultz (743 games). Koivu leads the franchise in points with 543, assists (386) and multi-point games (122).

Up next: Saturday, vs. Ottawa Senators, Air Canada Centre, 7 p.m., CBC.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I don't even mind the way we have been losing games lately. We work hard, we play hard, we control the tempo .. and we end up losing
It is honestly the perfect result

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I don't even mind the way we have been losing games lately. We work hard, we play hard, we control the tempo .. and we end up losing
It is honestly the perfect result

It is literally the perfect result. Exciting finish, but lose a one goal game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Could be the last game we have all these rookies with Michalek and PAP fairly close to returning.

You guys better enjoy it.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The least interesting game of the season, has always been the Wild @ Leafs. This was the game that cost us our de facto sold out streak.

The coaching change has done wonders for them. Quite a potent offence, and back in the running for the playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Could be the last game we have all these rookies with Michalek and PAP fairly close to returning.

Better believe it. Expecting Nylander and Kaps to go down. They got their taste of the NHL and should have an idea what needs done.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

This glimpse of the Leaf's future, plus lots of good picks in this draft and the next one too, it isn't hard to see where we will be in 2 to 3 years.

The young guys we are showcasing, have a Calder Cup to win in the AHL and showing why they will be one of the favorites to take it all, it Bodes well for the future of the Leafs and I'm stoked to see what we have next year, when this team keeps a lot of them on the roster.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

I agree.

I think Soshnikov stays up the rest of the season to maintain good relations so he doesn't head back to Russia...

We have the 'They're young' excuse with Nylander and Kapanen...

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I agree.

I think Soshnikov stays up the rest of the season to maintain good relations so he doesn't head back to Russia...

We have the 'They're young' excuse with Nylander and Kapanen...

I agree, Sosh has looked comfortable up at this level. I would keep him up.

Kapanen and more so Nylander look a little overwhelmed at this level. Good taste but even better motivation to get better, better then lighting it up and thinking you'll make an easy transition.

Also don't want to burn a year on either of there deals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad