Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens- So what's your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I may be unreasonable in expecting the Leafs to curb stomp Ottawa and beat them 5-1 at least, but that is my expectation after this debacle.

Also, Tavares better get his head out of his ass and stop with the turnovers. For $11m he's been a complete bust, and before someone comes to his defense I don't care how many points he's gotten this year. Look around at the guys making +$10m a year ... him and Karlsson are neck-and-neck for the title of worst $11m contracts and both are way worse than all the others

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I may be unreasonable in expecting the Leafs to curb stomp Ottawa and beat them 5-1 at least, but that is my expectation after this debacle.

Also, Tavares better get his head out of his ass and stop with the turnovers. For $11m he's been a complete bust, and before someone comes to his defense I don't care how many points he's gotten this year. Look around at the guys making +$10m a year ... him and Karlsson are neck-and-neck for the title of worst $11m contracts and both are way worse than all the others

Thank God we got JT for free. Hate to be a Shark fan knowing what they gave up for Karlsson.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But that's two games in a row where we've lost the third period. And just like it's been mentioned, it doesn't matter how. I'm just wondering when we will see a solid 60 minute effort, win or lose, although obviously a win would be much better.

It's just two games, let's see what happens in the next few we play. Keep in mind we were killing it for quite some time before these two games and every team has their ups and downs.

Reactions: 02blkvert

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep, let's wait until they're 30+ games into the season before we start thumping chests or maneuvering for 1st. overall.

Haha yeah the chest thumping around here just a few days ago was pretty funny (and way premature). Seems like most of those thumpers are now on the ledge. And if we win the next three, they'll be talking about 1st overall again. Sigh, some things never change.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
THornton Matthews Marner
Hyman Kerfoot Nylander
Mikheyev Tavares Boyd
Engvall Spezza Vesey

Tavares needs to keep moving down the line up until he starts playing with effort.

Start Hutch. Andy can not be rewarded and we should be able to beat Ottawa with Vesa Toskala in net.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
There is no indication that galcheniuk would play no?

Our tavares etc will kill HARD in this game. I know before hand. And INVEST ON IT HARD TOO SIRE:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Galchenyuk has a great shot. He may do well in the bottom 6 as both Kerfoot and Spezza are pass first players. Hope we see him in the next couple of games. Would have to think he's hungry. He's running out of chances surely

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As bad as that was, there is no need for the nuclear option. Seriously, there is some expected but insane over-reaction here.

They are at the top of the standings, not fighting for a playoff spot. While many people assumed they would be the best team in the North, nobody called an 11-3 start to the season.

Send a message to a player or two (Tavares/Freddy), and by message I don't mean a benching, I mean call them into the coach's office and have a tough love talk. As for the lineup, JT and Willy have to work it out, give Freddy a chance to bounce back tomorrow and maybe put in someone over Vesey.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I like these lines

Thornton Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Mikheyev
Boyd Kerfoot Nylander
Engvall Spezza Vesey

Willy and Kerfoot can control possession and zone entry. Boyd had a finishing touch.

Tavares gets Hyman and Mik's speed. Someone on that line has to score

Spezza can score on the 4th

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
THornton Matthews Marner
Hyman Kerfoot Nylander
Mikheyev Tavares Boyd
Engvall Spezza Vesey

Tavares needs to keep moving down the line up until he starts playing with effort.

Start Hutch. Andy can not be rewarded and we should be able to beat Ottawa with Vesa Toskala in net.
What worries me most is that I don't think it's an "effort" thing. Far from it. Tavares works his ass off on both ends of the ice.

There are a lot of players who start to declined fast once they reach 30. I wouldn't say the majority of 30 year old players. But a concernable amount.

Eriksson, Karlsson, Lucic, Neal. The list could go on and on and on. The noticeable decline started right around 30.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Karlsson and Doughty have 1 and 2 locked up tight. Tavares is way behind those guys... And it is not like it is exactly a deep pool from which to choose. Pretty much the rest of his competition is Matthews, Marner, Eichel, and McDavid... All of which are likely making a lot more than 11 mill when they get their UFA deal like Tavares did.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
If I may..

I'd replace Vesey at this point. It's time to try someone else. Leafs have too much depth to give this much leash to underachievers..

Andy had a bad game which is a rarity. I think he will rebound strong. You don't want to roll with Hutch.. that's just crazy talk. Leafs were hard-pressed to win a game with him last year.

I like Nylander on the third line with Kerfoot and Soup. Tavares has been fine.. he just needs someone like Hyman who is willing to battle.

It's like the Leafs got up 5-1 and just didn't want to embarrass Ottawa, then everything went horribly wrong quickly and they couldn't recover. Time to just put the pedal down and work hard no matter what.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
I'd like to try..

Thornton Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Spezza
Mikheyev Kerfoot Nylander
Engvall Boyd Chucky/Sabourin
Petan

Lehtonen or Sandin in for Dermott

Steady Freddy
Hutch

Reactions: willmma

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd replace Vesey at this point. It's time to try someone else. Leafs have too much depth to give this much leash to underachievers..

Then Boyd should be coming out of the lineup too... And I'd be damned if anyone is replaced by Sabourin.

If Vesey is replaced by anymore, it should be Robertson or Simmonds. I wouldn't even put Galchenyuk in the lineup over Vesey.

Until Robertson comes up or Simmonds comes back, the Leafs can afford to run with Galchenyuk and Vesey in our lineup by benching the underperforming AAAA Boyd. He is putting up points, but it is unsustainable (he has 5 shots on net in 8 games and has scored on two of them) and he is caving the Leafs in defensively in the mean time.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Then Boyd should be coming out of the lineup too... And I'd be damned if anyone is replaced by Sabourin.

If Vesey is replaced by anymore, it should be Robertson or Simmonds. I wouldn't even put Galchenyuk in the lineup over Vesey.

Until Robertson comes up or Simmonds comes back, the Leafs can afford to run with Galchenyuk and Vesey in our lineup by benching the underperforming AAAA Boyd. He is putting up points, but it is unsustainable (he has 5 shots on net in 8 games and has scored on two of them) and he is caving the Leafs in defensively in the mean time.

Fair point about Boyd. Leafs have options and someone else should get a shot.

I'm excited to see how Chucky does on the Leafs. Hope he gets in a game ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad