Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens- So what's your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, I was hoping for 5 of 6 points. Win the next two and we're good. They don't ask how, right?!? Lol

Exactly. And honestly, even the how isn't that big a deal. Sure we played like crap to blow a huge lead but we also played great when we built that huge lead so ... put is this way, that proverbial ledge should not be nearly as crowded as it now appears to be. Let's not forget we played great hockey for a few weeks in a row there, one bad period doesn't mean that we suck all of a sudden.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well, I was hoping for 5 of 6 points. Win the next two and we're good. They don't ask how, right?!? Lol

the next 2 are back to back against the sens; i have no confidence in hutch; and then saturday against the scabs while they are well rested - yea.... i think i might have an epic freakout :laugh:

EDIT: All the folks asking others to relax and what not; I am having a deja vu about 18 wheeler off the cliff season (not being pessimistic; just exercising caution based on Leafs history)

Last edited:
Reactions: glue

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

As emotional as we all our, lets calm down.

While I do agree with the rational viewpoint here, I also think it’s rational at this point to doubt this team will be able to push through and get things done in the playoffs. They seem to constantly show a lack of mental toughness and sheer will. Not everyone, but some key players who can’t seem to step up when the going gets tough.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
While I do agree with the rational viewpoint here, I also think it’s rational at this point to doubt this team will be able to push through and get things done in the playoffs. They seem to constantly show a lack of mental toughness and sheer will. Not everyone, but some key players who can’t seem to step up when the going gets tough.
It's a good point. I think it's too early to make that judgement though. We'll see. These 2 games will be sort of telling.

Reactions: glue

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs quality of play has been slipping since Vancouver Game 3. They had the quick strike wins against Vancouver and Montreal but were a bit uneven vs Montreal Game 2, took the foot off the gas and just gave it away vs Ottawa. You can really see how playing a dud like the Canucks can erode your game.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I try not to brood on poor performances but the last one really bothers me. Total effin meltdown. Embarrassing. If they drop another in the same fashion to these clowns I will lose my shite. They better tighten the feck up and learn to play a full 60 or they are dead in the water come playoff time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's terrible that they blew a huge lead, but they got a point.

Haha yeah it's good to remember that. It just feels like such a disaster of a game that it doesn't feel like we got a point, feels like a loss. But yep, we actually got a point out of that, cool. :)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I try not to brood on poor performances but the last one really bothers me. Total effin meltdown. Embarrassing. If they drop another in the same fashion to these clowns I will lose my shite. They better tighten the feck up and learn to play a full 60 or they are dead in the water come playoff time.
The tables have turned sort of, there have been games this year where the Leafs suck for the first two periods and win it playing well for the 3rd, this game was opposite.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I actually don't think that loss was that big of a deal, it's a case of a team that hasn't had a big lead in a long time not being able to manage the game. They tried to manage it by just sitting back but forgot you also have to skate and check and get to loose pucks. They'll fix that barring coaching stupidity.

I'd still make some changes though at least for the next one:

-Freddy gets a rest, probably more needed mentally than physically
-You have to incorporate Sandin/Lehkonen. I'm convinced they're both better than Dermott who I see as a bit of a nothing player but scratch Bogosian if you have to.
-Sit one of the forwards for a game, kinda pointless to sit a Boyd or Engvall. Needs to be a guy that gets actual minutes that looks like he could use a rest or something, I'd say either Nylander/Tavares. We're in a tight condensed schedule here so why aren't players getting a rest when the roster is so deep with forwards that can play?
-Speaking of which, break up Nylander/Tavares.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I actually don't think that loss was that big of a deal, it's a case of a team that hasn't had a big lead in a long time not being able to manage the game. They tried to manage it by just sitting back but forgot you also have to skate and check and get to loose pucks. They'll fix that barring coaching stupidity.

-You have to incorporate Sandin/Lehkonen. I'm convinced they're both better than Dermott who I see as a bit of a nothing player but scratch Bogosian if you have to.
-Sit one of the forwards for a game, kinda pointless to sit a Boyd or Engvall. Needs to be a guy that gets actual minutes that looks like he could use a rest or something, I'd say either Nylander/Tavares.

Sandin is hurt and is nowhere near Dermott's level right now. Liljegren is facing more of a disservice, because he is clearly ready for another shot at the NHL.

And people need to calm down about sitting Nylander or Tavares... It sends a really stupid message to the dressing room right now.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Exactly. And honestly, even the how isn't that big a deal. Sure we played like crap to blow a huge lead but we also played great when we built that huge lead so ... put is this way, that proverbial ledge should not be nearly as crowded as it now appears to be. Let's not forget we played great hockey for a few weeks in a row there, one bad period doesn't mean that we suck all of a sudden.
But that's two games in a row where we've lost the third period. And just like it's been mentioned, it doesn't matter how. I'm just wondering when we will see a solid 60 minute effort, win or lose, although obviously a win would be much better.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

-Sit one of the forwards for a game, kinda pointless to sit a Boyd or Engvall. Needs to be a guy that gets actual minutes that looks like he could use a rest or something, I'd say either Nylander/Tavares. We're in a tight condensed schedule here so why aren't players getting a rest when the roster is so deep with forwards that can play?
The top 4 forwards (I mean the 4 taking up half the cap because Hyman is right up there too) and half of our defence core know how to protect a frigging lead. I am so sick and tired of people making up countless excuses for these players. The whole team is good enough to play in the NHL, which means most of them were the best or one of the best players on their team as they were growing up. So I'm sure they would have played at least a few games where they had to protect a lead.
It's time they looked in the mirror and decide if they like the player they see. If not, then DO something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->