Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The fact that Tyler Gaudet is named to the roster and not Jeremy Bracco is a strong indication what the organization thinks of him now.

Its also a little strange that its Gaudet over players with more NHL experience in Nic Petan and Pontus Aberg, where Petan was a last years trade deadline addition, and Aberg a UFA signing this past summer.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So the 8 teams that lose in the Qualifying Play-in round are nether "Missed Playoffs" nor 'Made Playoffs". but rather simply "Non playoff" teams.
This is false. All currently remaining teams have made the playoffs, according to the NHL.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Dermott did play the right side into the playoffs and the consensus around here was that he wasn't quite the same during that period of the season. The reaction from that playoffs by Dubas wasn't to project Dermott on the right side in 2019-20 but to transform the entire right side effectively from Hainsey, Zaitsev, Dermott to Barrie, Ceci, Holl. And when injuries struck we saw Marincin get the right side minutes with a smathering going to Liljegren.

P.S. Playing with Gardiner at his most wandering, it's like you end up playing the right side and left side during the same shift.

Thanks. That was my memory of it, but I didn't want to go back and watch that playoff series over again.

remember that both dermott and gardiner had only played a handfull of games after being out over a month . neither were even close to 100 %. right after the series didn't dermott end up getting shoulder surgery
I agree with the shadow that the whole series dermott looked like he was trying to cover both sides of the ice cause he was never sure what jake was going to do next. that pairing in their condition, with little prior experience working together, was doomed to look bad

True enough. However, I didn't realize until just now that not only did Dermott play 3 games with Gardiner mid-February (12th to the 16th), but then he played the next 4 games with Muzzin (19th to the 25th. The following game with Gardiner out, Oz drew back in playing with Dermott and then Dermott injured his shoulder during the third period of that game).

I may go back and watch those games. Certainly Dubas would have payed close attention to them. As I said earlier - If he can, he can. If he can't he can't. Same goes for Sandin and Lehtonen. I have heard Sandin talk twice about past times playing on the right side. He seems extremely confident. Should he (or the team) be? I have no idea.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Seems its down to semantics of splitting hairs between missed playoffs and non-playoff teams.
You could easily argue the reverse in that any difference between the qualifying round and the four that follow it - identical formats in almost every way - really just come down to how there were particular situations not designed with COVID-19 in mind (trade conditions, a draft lottery involving roughly half the league, etc.), and so they're forced to make mild distinctions for those cases. If it weren't for those complications, I imagine there'd be little issue in it just being considered a straight-up 24 team playoffs with a "Preliminary Round" for some lower seeds, something that in fact did exist in the past.

I think really what this amounts to is for all intents and purposes, this is an expanded postseason involving 24 teams due to the unprecedented times. I'd argue it's even a bit disingenuous to deny this being seen as one big tournament. The regular season ended March 11th, and 24 teams were still defined as in the running for the Cup by that point. Everything else is just wording to sort out certain complications that arise. It's no different than the league having to adjust accrued seasons/game by 15-20%, because the rules weren't written with this reality in mind.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing Ilya Mikheyev back in the lineup after a very long layoff.

Before Ilya was injured I thought he was very impactful and brought a lot to the team. His return, although not mentioned a lot, will be welcomed.

Mikheyev is a big strong winger with very good speed, a willingness to battle along the boards, and is surprisingly good defensively. The Leafs don't have a lot of those big grinders.

Reactions: Cotton and kb

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That list tells us which prospects/depth are on the outs or thought of being too far off NHL level. Answers my question of whether AJ is seen as returning in the next 2 months. It tells us that Hollowell has leapfrogged several more experienced prospects. Petan and Bracco are now officially on the outs and won't be here next season. Gaudet seems capable of going out on the ice and being a neutral body on the 4th line - not causing any harm defensively while capable of cycling the puck in the offensive end - as a possible injury substitution for players like Gauthier and Clifford. But I'm sure they'd probably try Korshkov first.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The fact that Tyler Gaudet is named to the roster and not Jeremy Bracco is a strong indication what the organization thinks of him now.

Its also a little strange that its Gaudet over players with more NHL experience in Nic Petan and Pontus Aberg, where Petan was a last years trade deadline addition, and Aberg a UFA signing this past summer.

34 players on the RTP. Not many cuts for the bubble team. (If I remember correctly 31 is the max number for that). Because of the seriousness of this situation, how the extra players carry themselves off-ice I am sure is a major factor so I never thought that Bracco was going to be anywhere near the RTP camp, and definitely not the bubble. Aberg, I believe, has a KHL contract for next year.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Perhaps try Robertson in both exhibition games and see whether he's ready to play? What a coup if he can play. A scoring threat on the 3rd line would be a legit advantage over the team that was shut down 4 months ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Perhaps try Robertson in both exhibition games and see whether he's ready to play? What a coup if he can play. A scoring threat on the 3rd line would be a legit advantage over the team that was shut down 4 months ago.
I believe they will only be playing one exhibition game.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Their definition of this as a playoff round does not square with their lottery plan.

Playoff teams don't participated in the draft lottery, and also have a chance to winning the Stanley Cup by definition of a playoff team, and have a greater than Zero % chance of winning it.

Players on a golf course when the playoffs begin next round I doubt consider they made the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Andersen isn't renowned for his hot starts coming into a new season :laugh:

I hope Keefe doesn't screw around, if he can't stop a beachball Keefe needs to get the hook out, all I want is a win and Andersen's feelings shouldn't come into it
The one benefit of quarantining with AM is that they practiced against each other.

Hope that helped. :laugh:

Reactions: Kiwi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Interesting names like Gaudet, Kivihalme and Hollowell. The fact they chose Hollowell over Duszak should tell you what they think of Duszak's defensive game.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Well we need to consider it is Keefe helping pick these rosters now. We have only seen a Babcock roster so far. Keefe knows all of these guys very well from his time with the Marlies, so I am sure he is picking guys who he thinks will contribute the most off the ice. Reasoning being the chance they play is very low, so why pick the most skilled players, when maybe they want more personality, leadership, work ethic, etc in the bubble to push guys.

Reactions: weems and kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Players on a golf course when the playoffs begin next round I doubt consider they made the playoffs this year.
Do you think teams eliminated in the conference finals consider themselves non-playoff teams because they no longer have a chance at the cup as the SCF is happening?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I've heard people say that playoff games count for Robertson towards his 9-game ELC trigger. Does anybody know if the exhibition game would count?

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Interesting names like Gaudet, Kivihalme and Hollowell. The fact they chose Hollowell over Duszak should tell you what they think of Duszak's defensive game.

I think some of the fringe players (Gaudet, Hollowell) were chosen mostly for their character rather than playing ability. That's probably why Bracco didn't make it

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Part of me hopes that he shows so well that he gets live game action, and produces.

We're weak at LW and past Nylander the goalscoring depth at W isn't great. Robertson is a shoot first player on a team that has a lot of pass first players. Could be an intriguing option for us.

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad