Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Couple things to remember for this series:

-Our defense will be healthy for the first time this season and is better than last years.

-Our offense will be ridiculous with Mikheyev back.

-Andersen will hopefully be better than he played most of the year.

-We have a coach that will actually make adjustments or use players in their proper roles.

-Aside from an 8 game heater from Elvis the Jackets were an average team this year that can't score at all.

-Panarin/Duchene/Dzingel/Bobrovsky are all gone from that Columbus team that upset Tampa last year. It is NOT the same team.

As long as we stay healthy and nobody opts out we should win this pretty easily unless Jones and Werenski are going to play 40 minutes a night.

Panarin and all those guys are gone, sure. But they had even more injury troubles than we did and yet, somehow managed 81 points in 70 games (exactly the same as us). Dismissing these guys as "not the same team" and expecting us to win easily seems overly optimistic and frankly, naive.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Does anyone else think it's possible if things are better in September, fans may be allowed in with spread out seating? Being optimistic here but I just can't fathom watching the Stanley Cup final, let alone the playoffs, without fans :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This is going to be a crapshoot of whoever comes in hot to start with .. They've basically had an off-season off now between the stoppage and play resuming.

Reactions: Menzinger

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
This is going to be a crapshoot of whoever comes in hot to start with .. They've basically had an off-season off now between the stoppage and play resuming.
It's a shame buffalo is not in it. :sarcasm: Lol they would have started off with their usual 10 game winning streak and probably wild have won it
Hahahha

Reactions: BertCorbeau

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Columbus is a solid team but we really should win this series.
At our current timeline with our young players, having dealt away assets to be good now, it would be extremely dissapointing to not even be able to win a "play in" and would make me question if we can win with our current roster setup.

The one thing that makes me like this matchup is that they dont have 1 star forward or even a great forward group that can consistently expose our weaker spot (defence).

Boston could always throw out that one line and basically exploit our team weakness. Columbus dont have that and thus if we show up willing to work hard and come close to matching their intensity, this should end with us winning because we have the more talented roster. The problem with this group is you dont really know what team is going to show up work ethic wise and if they're willing to do the small things to win games.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hoping for an update regarding Matthews soon. It's been a few weeks now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was just looking at a reply on the Blue Jackets board about the series and one of their fans think Leafs will still have an advantage playing at Scotiabank Arena even without the fans because they know the ice, boards, sightlines, and being comfortable with the locker room/layout.

Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was just looking at a reply on the Blue Jackets board about the series and one of their fans think Leafs will still have an advantage playing at Scotiabank Arena even without the fans because they know the ice, boards, sightlines, and being comfortable with the locker room/layout.
Reasonable thought but IMO it’s a minor advantage if any.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Columbus is a solid team but we really should win this series.
At our current timeline with our young players, having dealt away assets to be good now, it would be extremely dissapointing to not even be able to win a "play in" and would make me question if we can win with our current roster setup.

The one thing that makes me like this matchup is that they dont have 1 star forward or even a great forward group that can consistently expose our weaker spot (defence).

Boston could always throw out that one line and basically exploit our team weakness. Columbus dont have that and thus if we show up willing to work hard and come close to matching their intensity, this should end with us winning. The problem with this group is you dont really know what team is going to show up work ethic wise and if they're willing to do the small things to win games.

Exactly. I just don't see them having anything remotely close to that Bruins first line. Imo the Leafs showed last playoffs they have the potential to meet these teams at 5v5, but they will still need to mentally get it together: Matthews, Marner, Nylander especially will need to lesd the team like they are paid to do.

The only potential thing I see sinking the Leafs is if Andersen is off his game. But at least Campbell could potentially be a bit of a safeguard there

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

That’s fair there is a small advantage.
Leafs will only get their locker room on home games it looks like.

Reactions: kb

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This tweet from the NHL PR Twitter account confirms the Maple Leafs have officially made the playoffs in 2020.

Ya that was stupid of NHL, with the draft, now a playoff team can get first.
Even though they say playoffs, most fans will only consider the final 16 as real playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I gotta give mad props to Tortorella... that said I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Leafs are not the favorites...
it wont be a cake walk... but we got this shit boys

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That doesn’t make any sense.
Did you not see this paragraph which said the following.

"Teams participating in a best-of-five series during the Stanley Cup Qualifiers are considered to have made the postseason and participated in a postseason series."

So no one can say the Maple Leafs missed the playoffs in 2020 and that means their streak of making them is up to 4 years in a row.

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

"Teams participating in a best-of-five series during the Stanley Cup Qualifiers are considered to have made the postseason and participated in a postseason series."

So no one can say the Maple Leafs missed the playoffs in 2020 and that means their streak of making them is up to 4 years in a row.
They were going to make the playoffs anyway, IMO but I doubt the Habs would have for one. What’s there streak at now? :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

So then 24 of the 31 teams made the playoff qualifying round by that or 77% of the league.

Only 7 teams officially missed the playoffs this year, although the losers of the qualifying round this year would be more like normal years where normally 15 teams miss the playoff each year.

Sounds like the NHL is handing out participation ribbons this year.

Reactions: ACC1224

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Panarin and all those guys are gone, sure. But they had even more injury troubles than we did and yet, somehow managed 81 points in 70 games (exactly the same as us). Dismissing these guys as "not the same team" and expecting us to win easily seems overly optimistic and frankly, naive.

Are you forgetting our season? We were the most injured out of the entire "Rebuild" era. We were missing Muzzin and Rielly for significant parts of the season, and they were playing hurt during other times. We lost 2 top 9 forwards for significant time (Soup and Johnsson) We lost Tavares and Marner for stretches.

And to top it off, Freddy has his worst season as a Leaf. Oh, and the whole Babcock thing to start the year. I am pretty confident in saying this year is an outlier more than anything. Let's see what happens when the puck drops. I'll take talent over grit every time.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Exactly. I just don't see them having anything remotely close to that Bruins first line. Imo the Leafs showed last playoffs they have the potential to meet these teams at 5v5, but they will still need to mentally get it together: Matthews, Marner, Nylander especially will need to lesd the team like they are paid to do.

The only potential thing I see sinking the Leafs is if Andersen is off his game. But at least Campbell could potentially be a bit of a safeguard there

Andersen isn't renowned for his hot starts coming into a new season :laugh:

I hope Keefe doesn't screw around, if he can't stop a beachball Keefe needs to get the hook out, all I want is a win and Andersen's feelings shouldn't come into it

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leafs should dominate this talent light Columbus team. Yes, they did sweep TB last year but they had Panarin and Bob. Realistically, we should expect a quick series. The problem is that with our team can they work hard? Will they think that they can just outskill Columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig