Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think some of the fringe players (Gaudet, Hollowell) were chosen mostly for their character rather than playing ability. That's probably why Bracco didn't make it

Well, if anything, if Bracco's 79 point season in '19 wasn't good enough, I'm sure the organization isn't going to be impressed with a follow up 4 goal season.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well, if anything, if Bracco's 79 point season in '19 wasn't good enough, I'm sure the organization isn't going to be impressed with a follow up 4 goal season.
Gaudet also had 4 goals though, and Bracco had the better season. Gaudet is just a player you want around (especially with Robertson) and Bracco isn't

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Interesting names like Gaudet, Kivihalme and Hollowell. The fact they chose Hollowell over Duszak should tell you what they think of Duszak's defensive game.

Duszak's defensive game is horrendous. The most notable omissions for me were Petan, Bracco, and Lindgren (better than both Duszak and Hollowell).

Petan played ridiculously well for the Marlies this year too in terms of controlling the play. Put up decent numbers too. I expect that we see him moved in the offseason.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Duszak's defensive game is horrendous. The most notable omissions for me were Petan, Bracco, and Lindgren (better than both Duszak and Hollowell).

Petan played ridiculously well for the Marlies this year too in terms of controlling the play. Put up decent numbers too. I expect that we see him moved in the offseason.

Maybe he's settled into an AHL role and that's the level he should be at?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The fact that Tyler Gaudet is named to the roster and not Jeremy Bracco is a strong indication what the organization thinks of him now.

Its also a little strange that its Gaudet over players with more NHL experience in Nic Petan and Pontus Aberg, where Petan was a last years trade deadline addition, and Aberg a UFA signing this past summer.

Obviously they wanted an extra center, or maybe those two decided they did not want to come. Aberg has a young child and if he went, then he would have to give her to his mother to take care of (and would not be able to see her in the meantime). For a guy who almost 100% was not going to be playing, both he and the Leafs likely decided it would be best just to sit this one out.

IDK why Nic Petan would not want to come, so that one is surprising to me. I would have taken Petan over Agostino. Petan may be traded this offseason for another shot elsewhere, because he is too good for the AHL, and some team needing cheap depth may have interest in a guy like him for their bottom 6.

EDIT: Nevermind, Petan will be on the roster instead of Hollowell... Which makes more sense.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Petan’s been cleared to play and added to the roster.

That's gotta suck for Hollowell, although he did spend half of the year in the ECHL and was one of the Marlies' worst defensemen last year.

I have to say I am surprised Lindgren did not get a look over Kivihalme and Hollowell. He did not play much, but he looked really good for the Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The fact that Tyler Gaudet is named to the roster and not Jeremy Bracco is a strong indication what the organization thinks of him now.

Its also a little strange that its Gaudet over players with more NHL experience in Nic Petan and Pontus Aberg, where Petan was a last years trade deadline addition, and Aberg a UFA signing this past summer.

Bracco is getting traded this offseason 100%. There is just no room for him in the organization but there will likely be more than a few teams who could fit him onto their teams, especially with a flat cap.

Reactions: Nylander88

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I had to look up Tyler Gaudet. Turns out he goes back to the Lumber Kings and Greyhounds, so that's why he's black aceing. Of course Bracco isn't going, it'll be damn near impossible to find soft in the bubble.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If all the games are at Scotiabank what happens when a game goes to triple Overtime? It will over lap with the other start times.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I wouldn't worry about Robertson's 9 games if he's good enough to play. Rather negotiate against him with 2 seasons + a playoff under his belt than 3 seasons.
While I would normally agree with you, the flat cap does add an extra dimension that makes that extra ELC year very valuable. It would also put him in our next cap squeeze year, when Rielly/Sandin/Kapanen/Liljegren are up, which isn't ideal. Though obviously if Robertson forces his way on to the team and is an important piece to winning playoff games, then I want him in there regardless.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I wouldn't worry about Robertson's 9 games if he's good enough to play. Rather negotiate against him with 2 seasons + a playoff under his belt than 3 seasons. Imagine if we played Marner in 10 games his rookie year and got to negotiate against him with a career high in the 60s.
I was thinking this exact same thing for the exact same reason since it was mentioned that Robertson would be part of the bubble group.

The only issue is that he would come due the same time as Rielly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad