Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
In fairness though the Leafs own pick at #4 doesn't really factor into the Kessel return.

In some respects it should. An elite center can be had at that point and pairing that elite talent with another in Kessel can only mean good things for both players and the team. Additionally, pairing a guy like Marner with Kessel and throwing another guy in to do the dirty work are usually how Babcock's lines are set up.

JVR - Kadri - plug
plug - Marner - Kessel
Lupul - Nylander - plug

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Will be quite disappointed if management opts to pass on an opportunity to unload older assets for newer ones in the strongest draft of the decade. It seems like a no brainer to capitalize on the possibility of having multiple lottery picks with the execution of only one trade, and with the brutal FA crop, I can't see how there wouldn't be a market for Kessel/Phaneuf.

Toronto needs to pull another top 15 pick; the effect it would have on the rebuild would be groundbreaking. Shock starting the build in '15 would give the Leafs the best chance at a high quality rebuild. Beginning the build with:

Rielly
Marner
Hanifin
Nylander
24th OVA
Gauthier

(+ Percy, Brown, Johnson, Leipsic, Finn, etc.)

...would be a perfectly executed start to a future cup contender.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
People act like Kessel is David Clarkson lol How does he have negative value? Not like he led the olympics in scoring not even 2 years ago, five 30 goal seasons in 9 seasons, 520 career points and only 27 years old..

I guess if Kessel has negative value so does : signed until the 19/20 season, age 27

Kris Letang (age 28) at 7.25 till 19/20 season:

Parise (age 30)at 9 till 19/20 season :

Suter(age 30) at 9 till the 19/20 season:

Dustin Brown (Age 30) 7.25 for the next 5 years:

Jeff carter (Age 30) at 7 till the 19/20 season:

Marc Stall (age 30) at 7 until the 19/20 season:

These guys seem to all have negative value too as they are signed to a similar contract and a similar price tag.... we should make some calls lol

$8 mil for a player with the worst plus/minus in the league. You can't put him out there if you're trying to defend a lead. He's a one dimensional offensive weapon on a huge contract... and he's a guy who doesn't keep up with his fitness. The younger guys are going to be faster and better than him in a couple of years.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And what would be the reason Babcock benches him? Remember: a coach's job is to try to WIN games. You don't WIN those games by benching your star forward, especially with the lack of talent you have that can pick up the slack. Kessel's defensive deficiencies are overblown and a good coach can easily cover a winger's defensive deficiencies via system. It would be wise to wait for an elite talent to emerage (like Marner) and to partner him up with Kessel to set the league on fire.

well we've haven't been winning while he plays 20 mins a night so why not see how benching him works

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If Kessel is moved to carolina I really hope E.Staal is involved in that deal somehow. Staal would look GREAT in maple leafs jersey and he is a real player. Would be a good teacher with good character for some of our players too. Maybe a Cup run in 3 years with Eric Staal just like Sundin did his back in the day. Not yet... not yet like they say it in Gladiator with Crowe and Hounsou.... not yet, but some day :)

JVR, Bozak, Kessel for E. Staal, Semin, 5th OA :popcorn:

officialmark*

Lol if this was real Leafs should take it and run to the hills while doing a happy dance. Marner, Hanifin and Skinner? All for just Kessel, Semin's 3 year contract which he'll be off the books when are rebuild is about to end and the 24th?

Done deal from a leafs perspective IMO.

We are already getting 1 of the 2. I don't want Skinner either.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
JVR, Bozak, Kessel for E. Staal, Semin, 5th OA :popcorn:
I'd do that too... because I don't like the current maple leafs players.

Even with Semin it would be something new for us...... what we have now, it's the old losers with every different coach and we already know what they are. Losers.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Taking Semin back wouldn't be the worst thing.

7 mil hit for 3 years...next 2 years are a write off anyways. Could do worse :dunno:

Exactly. If the deal makes sense otherwise, are we really going to balk because Semin gets added? Three years from now when it actually matters, he's just another forgotten Jason Blake, and you look at the other pieces to decide if you won or not.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
One thing to keep in mind is that we're also going to need enough cap space to sign Stamkos next year too. So we can't take on too many bad contracts.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
What about the latest Kessel rumour, Mess posted earlier....

Kessel + Bernier

For

Draisatl + 16th + 33rd + 1st in 2017 + Purcell + Ference

For that return, I'd drive them to the airport.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think the the trade is fine as long as it doesn't include Rielly and Nylander. The Leafs need to ship out everyone of any value over 24. They will not be a serious contender realistically for 5 years at least. Thus JVRs great contract means nothing to us other than trade bait, since if he plays well during the course of it he will seek a much bigger one the next time around and be pushing 30. Kessel doesn't fit the Babcock mould and will likely be dealt before the season, and why not in a trade like this or one perhaps with the Isles that include Ryan Strome +.
One of our biggest advantages is our wallet, and there is a big way to flex financial muscle with cap during a rebuild that is going to take 5 years min. You can eat contracts like Semin's and it effects the long term plans zero. I look at Semin in the deal as a complete write off. Straight up Kessel or JVR for the 5th +Semin is a decent deal for both teams. Francis would not be crazy to do this deal. The pick is not a sure thing to turn out, but Kessel and JVR are proven talent. People value Kessel more than we do. He is 30+ goal scorer and does not get injured, and JVRs contract is fantastic to a team who thinks they can do something in the next 4 years.
Walking away with Hanifin and Marner would be unbelievable. I could see the Leafs including the 24th pick if Carolina threw in their 2nd rd pick.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think the the trade is fine as long as it doesn't include Rielly and Nylander. The Leafs need to ship out everyone of any value over 24. They will not be a serious contender realistically for 5 years at least. Thus JVRs great contract means nothing to us other than trade bait, since if he plays well during the course of it he will seek a much bigger one the next time around and be pushing 30. Kessel doesn't fit the Babcock mould and will likely be dealt before the season, and why not in a trade like this or one perhaps with the Isles that include Ryan Strome +.
One of our biggest advantages is our wallet, and there is a big way to flex financial muscle with cap during a rebuild that is going to take 5 years min. You can eat contracts like Semin's and it effects the long term plans zero. I look at Semin in the deal as a complete write off. Straight up Kessel or JVR for the 5th +Semin is a decent deal for both teams. Francis would not be crazy to do this deal. The pick is not a sure thing to turn out, but Kessel and JVR are proven talent. People value Kessel more than we do. He is 30+ goal scorer and does not get injured, and JVRs contract is fantastic to a team who thinks they can do something in the next 4 years.
Walking away with Hanifin and Marner would be unbelievable. I could see the Leafs including the 24th pick if Carolina threw in their 2nd rd pick.

Regarding JVR, it really depends where his head is at. If he would resign to be a Leafs in 3 years then there is no reason we can't keep him. Ideally (if he doesn't take another step forward), you want to see guys like him on the second line of a contender (like Hossa and Sharp in Chi Town).

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
$8 mil for a player with the worst plus/minus in the league. You can't put him out there if you're trying to defend a lead. He's a one dimensional offensive weapon on a huge contract... and he's a guy who doesn't keep up with his fitness. The younger guys are going to be faster and better than him in a couple of years.

No one who is acquiring Phil Kessel cares if the guy can defend a lead. What they care about is him getting them the lead.

Same goes for Patrick Kane, do people actually think that he can play defense? No, they just know he can come clutch with offense when surrounded by the right depth.

People really don't seem to understand how rare 30 goal, 70-80 point players are in this league; were talking about the 98.5 percentile of offense in the NHL (9 players last season out of 600).

Last edited:

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Why is this even being discussed? It's not happening.

Every year these articles come out around this time and every year people continue to get duped.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
One thing to keep in mind is that we're also going to need enough cap space to sign Stamkos next year too. So we can't take on too many bad contracts.

His team is in the Cup Finals and is absolutely loaded with young talent.

Why would he leave that to come here?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Depends on his perception if they win, will it be "I want to win a bunch more with a very good team" or will it be "alright I've won with my draft team, now I want to win with my hometown team".

he's on record as being a leaf fan, living here in the summer and having very many leaf fan friends who want him here.

I'd put chances at 20%, there is definitely the possibilty of it, but he would have to be like a david clarkson where he really wants to play for Toronto and be the guy.(only unlike Clarkson, he actually would be the guy).

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Only possible argument I can even think of is if they won this year, he could want a new challenge.

Keep in mind that I can probably think of 25 reason why he wouldn't want to as well :laugh:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Why is this even being discussed? It's not happening.

Every year these articles come out around this time and every year people continue to get duped.

Pretty closed minded view imo. If Carolina doesn't plan on rebuilding it makes perfect sense for them to leverage their most valuable future asset for another current assets. Gota think that any player drafted now is at a minimum 2-3 years from being able to have a real impact, E. Stall is what, 34 at that time?

Also, they really need to dump that Semin contract. No way they can afford to pay someone 7 mil who brings nothing to the table.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One rumour sure does throw everyone's thinking off wow. If Strome is gone we take Marner. Nothing to stressful about that. The 24 pick we take the best Goaltender in the draft with MacKenzie Blackwood. Boom a good days work right!

Well not so fast really. Phaneuf can get you a late first or a early second and a good roster player to cover a contract take back.

Kessel has excellent value stand alone for any of the contenders looking for a 30/50 winger that they know they will insulate his defensive game properly. He gets you a first round pick and possibly two depending how this contender team and the leafs evaluate where they will be finishing. So it is two bottom third first potentially. That's not enough and a top prospect or roster player would need to be added.

JVR is another one with trade value right through the roof because of his contract and scoring and skating ability. He is going to get you a first this year if he was made available plus prospect or prospects or additional picks. I think this is a rumour that lacks the long term vision that has been articulated to us by Shanahan.

The playoffs are winding down,the draft is coming up and the rumour and speculation is ramping up from here on in but hopefully the bigger picture of this rebuild isn't forgotten by posters by every rumour. The rumors and speculation is just going to keep ramping up.

Single deals alone that might not get us the 5 or 6 pick will still significantly upgrade the system. This rumour is not something in line with a properly planned rebuild. Remember it being said leaf fans are ready for and patient enough to accept a rebuild.

This reported rumor lacks the direction I believe.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
When I heard this this morning, I just had to laugh. It'd be cool, but Dean also tweeted Babcock resigning with Detroit AFTER he claimed he was going to Toronto on air. Had Babs stayed in Detroit, Dean would still claim he called it. It's a bad source, but only because he's an alleged homophobic shock-jock posing as a sports reporter.

That said, he's growing on me as a morning host and it would be cool to see this become legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad