Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What about the latest Kessel rumour, Mess posted earlier....

Kessel + Bernier

For

Draisatl + 16th + 33rd + 1st in 2017 + Purcell + Ference

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So the Oilers are dealing LD, 16, 33, and another 1st and they're still not upgrading their defense.

I'd do it to, Edmonton on the other hand has other needs before Kessel

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Kessel + Bernier

For

Where did that rumour come from? :help:

Doesn't make sense for the Oilers. Last thing they need is more wingers and they still get no help on defence.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Not just a consistent 30-goal man... Kessel is the epitome of what the Hurricanes envisioned Skinner and eventually Semin becoming for the team. Seeing Kessel play alongside either Staal in a sheltered scoring role or as the team's primary scorer as well as a chance of removing Semin, Ward or Skinner's cap can help the team get the top defensive UFAs and compete NOW.

Honestly, who wouldn't want to play for the Hurricanes? The team has a set goaltender, a good up-and-coming #1D in Faulk, a crop of skilled young defensemen coming up, a genuinely talented goaltender in Khudobin and the center position more than covered.

Hockey GMs value picks differently than HFBoards users as there's other things to consider. Revenue, brand recognition, prestige, what have you...

I couldn't agree more. It makes this discussing potential trades frustrating sometimes as many of us (I am guilty myself on occasion) of overvaluing draft picks. Perhaps its because we are Leafs fans and are team has squandered and traded away so many draft picks over the years.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Kessel + Bernier

For

Draisatl + 16th + Purcell would be good enough for Kessel. Pretty much in line with what I've said before, either a high 1st + good prospect or a mid 1st + great prospect.

33rd + Ference for Bernier would be a good return for Bernier. Not ideal but very good.

An extra '17 1st on that from a weak team is candy.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Draisatl + 16th + Purcell would be good enough for Kessel. Pretty much in line with what I've said before, either a high 1st + good prospect or a mid 1st + great prospect.

33rd + Ference for Bernier would be a good return for Bernier. Not ideal but very good.

An extra '17 1st on that from a weak team is candy.

We need to keep Bernier.... we can't draw conclusions from this season. Good goalies are difficult to find in this league, and his value is way to low, compared to his potential.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We need to keep Bernier.... we can't draw conclusions from this season. Good goalies are difficult to find in this league, and his value is way to low, compared to his potential.

Oh I generally would like to keep Bernier as well, as I see him as our best chance for that long-term goaltender. But with that kind of package coming back, there's just no way I'm saying no.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What about this, since Chiarelli apparently was interested in Phaneuf.

Phaneuf + Bernier

For

Draisatl + 33rd overall + Purcell + Ference

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Kessel + Bernier

For

I've already said I would support that trade, in the trade thread but if we can add the #5 pick...

That would give us Draisatl for #4, Marner or Hanifin for #5, Svechnikov or Bittner for #16, Harkins or Zboril for # 24, Larsson or Samsonov for #33 and a 1st 2017....Yep that would work for me

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Lol if this was real Leafs should take it and run to the hills while doing a happy dance. Marner, Hanifin and Skinner? All for just Kessel, Semin's 3 year contract which he'll be off the books when are rebuild is about to end and the 24th?

Done deal from a leafs perspective IMO.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Lol if this was real Leafs should take it and run to the hills while doing a happy dance. Marner, Hanifin and Skinner? All for just Kessel, Semin's 3 year contract which he'll be off the books when are rebuild is about to end and the 24th?

..but, for some reason, a lot of people think this is terrible for the leafs. :dunno:

Gaelman

May 1, 2014
Scarborough
If we're hearing details of a trade then there is a 90% chance that that trade isn't happening. Teams will almost always pull the plug on a deal if it's leaked.
Ya gotta love Toronto, home of the unrealistic rumour!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kessel + 24th

For

Semin 5th

Is a very very bad deal for Toronto. They have to add Fleury or something to get that done. I believe the actual deal is probably JVR or Kadri or maybe even Dion for that return. I can't see it being Kessel.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
..but, for some reason, a lot of people think this is terrible for the leafs. :dunno:

People are overvaluing the **** out of Kessel. Kessel is worth a good amount yes, but a rebuilding team with a top pick isn't going to trade it unless it's a special situation. Carolina could be a special situation. If I'm Carolina I wouldn't trade Marner or Hanifin straight up for Kessel. But if this true we could be coming back with Hanifin, Marner and a 23 year old 2 time 30 goal scorer who with a change of scenery could be valuable. All for a player we should have traded a year ago and a the 24th overall? Cone on people opportunities like this never happen. This is partly why I don't believe it.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
If this was true I'd almost want Arizona to pick Marner over Strome; getting a long needed first line centre and top pairing defenseman in one draft would be scary awesome.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Not sure how one can know this. Kessel is a one dimensional scorer with flaws. I sure hope there are better players than Kessel than just 2 generational talents this draft.

Have you been watching this team for the past 5 years? Have you seen the kind of talent Leafs management has surrounded Kessel? It's actually remarkable how he's not only added a superb playing-making aspect to his repetoire, but also done so in the most toxic of environments playing with random Joes as his linemates and a carousel of coaches. He's had to carry the team's scoring on his back and, surprisingly enough, when he had offensive support ala Kadri, the team made the playoffs. Sure he has overall flaws, but good team depth and Kessel being a winger (and naturally being tasked with less responsibilities) are more than enough reasons to make up for them. Ragging on Kessel is akin to ragging on a defenseman's ability to manage 2-on-1's while not considering wtf the 4 other teammates are doing on the ice. Nevermind the coach....

There's also the context of what is an elite talent is. Is it points production you're considering or the ability to flat-out win games? If it's flat out points production, Kessel has, does, and will continue to beat #1 overall talents for the foreseeable future. It's wizardry how he actually manages to even make the top-10 in scoring when in most instances, guys there have teammates not too far behind them.

And this is why I find a lot of these trades so bad: they undersell Kessel by not fully contextualizing his position. He's not Gaborik or Nash in that he's had nowhere near the kind of talent to work with... but somehow his production is along the same lines as them. I wonder how that is the case?

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Can't help but laugh at some people who think Rielly or Nylander need to be included in this trade for it to make sense. People seriously undervaluing Kessel here.

I don't put any stock in a Blundell rumor, but if we look at this from the Canes point of view, it makes some sense.

If we assume that the Canes are not ready to ship off the Stalls and rebuild, then it makes complete sense. They cannot afford to pay Semin 7 million dollars to suck as hard as he does (they are a small market), and adding a 30/40 guy in Kessel will completely turn their offense around. So in the process of acquiring an elite offensive player, they dump their worst contract and only have to pay Kessel 1 million more to actually contribute.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
If we're hearing details of a trade then there is a 90% chance that that trade isn't happening. Teams will almost always pull the plug on a deal if it's leaked.
Ya gotta love Toronto, home of the unrealistic rumour!

Not necessarily, there is always talk it depends if Edmonton feels this trade sets them up for success. We know they want bernie, adding another elite player like phil makes sense since it also gives the oilers the chance to go out and sigh and trade for defensive help.

Other then that the mentioned deals would speed the rebuild up ten fold. Its a deal that makes Edmonton better, it gives toronto futures weather or not it happens who knows, but it makes for good conversation.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'd trade Kessel in a heartbeat. Better now, before Babcock benches him. I'd do that deal if it were up to me.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Kessel + Bernier

For

Value heavily favours the Leafs.

Bernier =< 16th OVA
Kessel << Draisaitl (3rd OVA) + 33rd OVA + '17 1st (top 15 projected)

(+ Purcell, Ference)

Would obviously commit from a Leafs POV.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I'd trade Kessel in a heartbeat. Better now, before Babcock benches him. I'd do that deal if it were up to me.

And what would be the reason Babcock benches him? Remember: a coach's job is to try to WIN games. You don't WIN those games by benching your star forward, especially with the lack of talent you have that can pick up the slack. Kessel's defensive deficiencies are overblown and a good coach can easily cover a winger's defensive deficiencies via system. It would be wise to wait for an elite talent to emerage (like Marner) and to partner him up with Kessel to set the league on fire.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

In fairness though the Leafs own pick at #4 doesn't really factor into the Kessel return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad