Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is the highest rated North American goalie.

He's highest ranked by central scouting. Models his game after Rinne and is a fairly good technical goalie already. You can't build without taking goalie's as part of the process really. I would take him if the thinking is long term.

91Kadri91*

Quote my whole post instead of mailing in a sentence. Maybe your expectations need to be checked.

My expectations need to be checked? First of all, Samsonov and Vladar are both potentially better goaltenders, and it certainly appears that Samsonov will be drafted before Blackwood on June 26th. I also stopped reading your post after suggesting the Leafs should take a goaltender 24th overall in what is considered an exceptional draft.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
My expectations need to be checked? First of all, Samsonov and Vladar are both potentially better goaltenders, and it certainly appears that Samsonov will be drafted before Blackwood on June 26th. I also stopped reading your post after suggesting the Leafs should take a goaltender 24th overall in what is considered an exceptional draft.

Doesn't look like you stopped reading at all bud. Samsonov and Vladar are potentially better absolutely. They are not top ranked though. Blackwood is. There is a reason for that too. The scouts think he is the best. Your opinion doesn't supercede.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Bold predictions'. We don't have a second round pick so if you want a top goalie you either fish or cut bait. Success is built on goaltending. So do you pick up the scraps with your third or fourth round pick or take the best goaltender before everyone else starts taking them in the second round!

I believe you take the goaltending at 24. It might be a gamble but to flatly call it wrong is arguable. I also listed other trades in the post you quoted a sentence of that involved acquiring other first round picks.

91Kadri91*

Doesn't look like you stopped reading at all bud.

What? It doesn't look like I stopped reading?

[/QUOTE]Samsonov and Vladar are potentially better absolutely. They are not top ranked though. Blackwood is. There is a reason for that too. The scouts think he is the best. Your opinion doesn't supersede.[/QUOTE]

Samsonov is higher on all of the recent lists, so you are, in fact, wrong:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-final-top-30-2015-nhl-draft-rankings/

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-final-ranking-for-2015-draft/

http://thehockeywriters.com/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-war-room-top-180-may-edition/

91Kadri91*

What? It doesn't look like I stopped reading?

Samsonov and Vladar are potentially better absolutely. They are not top ranked though. Blackwood is. There is a reason for that too. The scouts think he is the best. Your opinion doesn't supersede.

Samsonov is higher on all of the recent lists, so you are, in fact, wrong:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-final-top-30-2015-nhl-draft-rankings/

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-final-ranking-for-2015-draft/

http://thehockeywriters.com/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-war-room-top-180-may-edition/

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I personally wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a goalie. Too many goalies don't make it and a number of solid goalies can be acquired via trade for 2nd and 3rd rounders. I would use our 3rd round pick to pick the best goalie available if we are so inclined to pick one.

Sure it would be nice to pick a Carey Price but for every Carey Price there is 10 Al Montoya/Rick DiPeitro.

Our 3rd rounder this year is essentially a late 2nd rounder and one of the top goalies could still be available.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Our 3rd rounder this year is essentially a late 2nd rounder and one of the top goalies could still be available.

There's a small but realistic possibility that ALL of the top goalies are still available. No goalie is good enough this year to be guaranteed to go in the top 60.

I expect Calgary to draft one with one of their late seconds though.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

91Kadri91*

Central scouting is not in your repertoire I see. Neither is ISS wow. Convenient.

Central Scouting is split North American/European; Blackwood is the top NA goaltender, Samsonov is the top European goalie.

There are zero goaltenders in the ISS top-30.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Bold predictions'. We don't have a second round pick so if you want a top goalie you either fish or cut bait. Success is built on goaltending. So do you pick up the scraps with your third or fourth round pick or take the best goaltender before everyone else starts taking them in the second round!

I believe you take the goaltending at 24. It might be a gamble but to flatly call it wrong is arguable. I also listed other trades in the post you quoted a sentence of that involved acquiring other first round picks.

Is it, I can think of many great teams that were anchored by dodgy goaltending, Chicago with Niemi, Chicago with Crawford off the top of my head, Boston with Rask, maybe. When were Brodeur and Quick selected in their draft years? If a goalie is chosen in the 1st round or considered the premiere goalie prospect of his draft class then shouldn't we be extremely satisfied with Bernie who was the 11th choice in his draft year.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Why is this even a thread still .. ?

The rumour was started by a Howard Stern wannabe.

In fact, it isn't even really a rumour -- Leafs are trying to acquire pick #5? Of course they are. They're also trying to acquire #1, #2, #3, #6, #7.... and all those other teams are trying to acquire #4. If the Leafs were thought to be maybe close to making a deal, that would be an actual rumour.

But I guess this thread is still here because nothing is going to happen until draft day and we're really desperate for stuff to talk about :laugh:

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
If you aren't considering his contract, he's one of the best natural goal scorers in the league.

The better question is, why wouldn't he want him?

That's not a better question at all considering Chiarelli was the one who traded Kessel away for his character issues and the Oilers are not in need of wingers. Also his contract absolutely needs to be considered...why would it not? Your response did not answer my question.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Doesn't look like you stopped reading at all bud. Samsonov and Vladar are potentially better absolutely. They are not top ranked though. Blackwood is. There is a reason for that too. The scouts think he is the best. Your opinion doesn't supercede.

The only reason Blackwood is ranked higher than Euro goalies is because he is canadian period. No matter where he is ranked, i prefer to take my chances with a Euro G prospect. Finnish and swedish (russians lately too) goalies have a better track record

Just look how much hype Fucale got, he was/is overrated because canadians want the next great goalie :help:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The safest way of getting an elite goaltender is taking the elite prospects at the position. While drafting goaltenders in general is a very volatile business, the elite ones have actually had a decent turn out-rate.

However, from all I've read it seems that there are no such elite goaltending prospects this year, as they are very rare. Instead you have a couple of great goaltending prospects, and the turn out rate for those are much lower.

So basically, this is not the year to take a goalie. See what we have in Bernier, give Bibeau another year and revisit the idea next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad