Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Why are any traditions observed?

Some traditions are just silly, I just dont see the point in modern day sports anymore. I mean you have a bunch of highly paid, sheltered athletes who listen to nobody in authority. Its not like years ago, when guys goofed around they would get cut, and they needed someone to set them straight. The structure of power in sports has shifted from management/coaches to players.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I really don't have an issue with the mooning. Big freakin' deal. We all do silly things at times, especially after a couple drinks. It's trying to force himself into the car at 2 am that has me taken aback. Whether she knew them or not, got out to confront them or not -- that itself is an extremely dangerous situation that could have ended badly from both sides. I'm surprised people still are defending that and/or think it's not that big of a deal.

I have to agree. The getting into the car part was silly and dangerous.

When you're that young and you have friends probably edging you on and you just want to be one of the guys mistakes will be made.

It's a learning lesson and I hope people will just move on.

Reactions: Cams

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some traditions are just silly, I just dont see the point in modern day sports anymore. I mean you have a bunch of highly paid, sheltered athletes who listen to nobody in authority. Its not like years ago, when guys goofed around they would get cut, and they needed someone to set them straight. The structure of power in sports has shifted from management/coaches to players.
The tradition is observed more for the fans than anything.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really don't have an issue with the mooning. Big freakin' deal. We all do silly things at times, especially after a couple drinks. It's trying to force himself into the car at 2 am that has me taken aback. Whether she knew them or not, got out to confront them or not -- that itself is an extremely dangerous situation that could have ended badly from both sides. I'm surprised people still are defending that and/or think it's not that big of a deal.

well i don't know.
A: i don't drink. and B: even at my silliest I never thought to expose myself to a stranger for laughs. that's not funny, it's stupid. but i agree with you on everything else. though

Reactions: MarnerElite

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
You raise a point that has me thinking. What if the agent (Moldaver?) falls on the sword for Matthews and tells Dubas that in consultation with legal representation, that AM was advised not to speak to anyone - including the team. Then say, in retrospect that was wrong and apologize.

I mean, it would cost the agent nothing and Matthews would come out looking much better. Just spitballing here.
Thats exactly what happened. The lawyer and agent were in control of this. They are his team for how to deal with this. They inform him what the plan is and how they are going to deal with it. Matthews is just following what his hired team say they should do. I wouldnt go against my expensive lawyer. I hired him for that reason and I have no idea how to handle this.

I guarantee that dubas and company are mad at his agent and lawyer on not telling them. They understand that matthews was following what his team was saying.

Like people getting mad at matthews about not telling his team have no idea what they are talking about.

If you hired the best lawyer and most expensive lawyer around then you are going to trust what he says.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Thats exactly what happened. The lawyer and agent were in control of this. They are his team for how to deal with this. They inform him what the plan is and how they are going to deal with it. Matthews is just following what his hired team say they should do. I wouldnt go against my expensive lawyer. I hired him for that reason and I have no idea how to handle this.

I guarantee that dubas and company are mad at his agent and lawyer on not telling them. They understand that matthews was following what his team was saying.

Like people getting mad at matthews about not telling his team have no idea what they are talking about.

If you hired the best lawyer and most expensive lawyer around then you are going to trust what he says.

Well reasoned post. Thanks.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
That does send the message the Leafs internally didn't believe that they had anyone qualified, and that is why there was no captain for the past few years, until they outsourced it and brought in JT to fill the role.

JT is a great guy and leader but he is the new guy and the outsider which does have consequences that does speak to the other players on the team in terms of leadership abilities.

I personally believe the plan was always to let Matthews grow into the position and and then wanted to wait until he was resigned first before giving him the the C prior to this season, however this recent incident and how AM handled it has changed that outcome. IMO

This is my thinking as well.

Obviously none of us know with certainty - but it seems to me at least that the vacancy was to give Matthews time to grow into the role.

If nothing else, the timing is interesting that multiple sources are suggesting it’s been Tavares all along.

With the way Matthews has handled this whole situation, it can’t be surprising to anyone if it did end up costing him the captaincy.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
When Auston sees young franchise players like McDavid and Eichel etc get the C and he sees himself as their equals/peers and then they bring in an outsider to be Leafs captain will that impact things?

If JT gets the captaincy, would that impact Matthews down the road on whether he stays or leaves in 5 years via free agency feeling he was shunned for the position and holds a grudge as to how much the organization values him?

Or will his own actions be the reason he himself is accountable for the change in organization direction and recognizes he may have disqualified himself?

Leafs management might even conclude that Rielly a home grown drafted and developed player getting the C now might have a different impact of the team.
McDavid and Eichel were the only options for their respective teams hands down.
We have JT and Rielly. Two players that are ligit options. One with more tenure with the leafs and the other with way more experience in the league and being a captain. If Matthews feels snubbed he would be weak of character, and I don't think he is.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
In general people are making way too much about the Matthews situation.

He didn't touch anyone, he didn't hurt anyone, he didn't break/damage anything.

Based on what I am reading from the security guard. She is being very vindictive and spiteful.

Attachments

• 0d1433e1-5105-4bca-b2b0-d36d671350b4.jpg
    0d1433e1-5105-4bca-b2b0-d36d671350b4.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7e68c7ec-2080-485d-9717-b3c6004574ca.jpg
    7e68c7ec-2080-485d-9717-b3c6004574ca.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 5

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Therrs no way the small incident costs Austin the captaincy
Would be ludicrous. Theyll announce it Oct 1st.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
well i don't know.
A: i don't drink. and B: even at my silliest I never thought to expose myself to a stranger for laughs. that's not funny, it's stupid. but i agree with you on everything else. though

Who exposed themselves?

My understanding is an investigating officer made it very clear that no one exposed themselves and charged of those nature would not be laid? Did something new happen?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
well i don't know.

What he did was really stupid, people shouldn't make it something it isn't but we also need to not pretend it isn't nothing. The boys will be boys mentality is outdated and stupid. I hope he learns from this and it's a wake-up call.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
well i don't know.
It was an act of an immature perron
Very High schoolish
If this was the patriots hed be gone
But babcock isnt bill belecheck eithrr

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Actually the Lady approached Auston and his father to get an apology and drop the issues. Auston denied the event occurred and the father stated his son would never do something like that. The condo board sent the video to them and they never replied after getting the proof the incident occurred. When they didn't reply the lady felt like she was being called a liar.
The episode likely would of been dropped if the family had just apologized when they were supplied proof it had occurred but forced the police report by not apologizing.
More than a case of behaving poorly when drunk, not apologizing to the lady after was no better than not telling the team and shows a lack of character.

This exactly.
And I watched the police body cam video of the officer interviewing the female security guard.
After watching that video, I definitely surmised that:
1) she didn't know Auston Matthews at all, didn't know he was a famous hockey player
2) she was truthful, had legit concerns
3) would have dropped any charge had Auston / father showed any sort of contrition

I certainly hope they name Tavares or Rielly captain
(I'll take Captain Morgan over Johnny Captain, but either one will do)

Just say no to Captain Underpants. Don't worry, if he ever really wanted it, he'll get over it.
Him potentially sulking over it is absolutely never a reason you should be giving the C to him.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sports is entertainment, essentially make belief land yes. The fact they have functioned properly without a captian for years, shows how useless it actually is.
Functioned... And won nothing. So you're just proving my point. You've never played a team sport have you?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Based on what I am reading from the security guard. She is being very vindictive and spiteful.

And based on what we're reading about Matthews, he and his dad are entitled and think they can bully others who they think are beneath them.

All of this could have gone away with a simple apology, but that apparently was too much to ask of the Matthews camp. I bet that's what bothers Shanahan and co. more than the actual incident.

Last edited:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Its been a few days since this whole thing came out
But
I still can not believe just how absolutely stupid matthews was. Like i was walking on the street just thinking about stuff in general and boom: i cant believe what a stupid f***ing idiot matthews is
And i do believe 100% that his stupidity costed him the C
It was always waiting for matthews to have a big boy contract and then give him the C
And i believe the Leafs leaked that it was JT all along because matthews embarassed them so f***ing much that its unacceptable

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can we assume Real Sports will add a 'C' to any Tavares jersey for free?

Right now they're likely too busy having to remove the "C" from all their new 100k inventory of #34 Jerseys in inventory that they were asked to prepare in advance for Leafs big press conference announcing the next captain. :wg:

Hopefully those "C" can be salvaged and sewn back on to another jersey.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I don't know her and I could be way wrong on this but I think because she waited 2 days to report incident she was likely unsure what to do. She likely does not even know what a hockey player is based on being in Phoenix for a branch office restructuring and budget reviews. Very few people know hockey there and even the 2 in 100 that do don't want to drive so far to the games even with free tickets on a weeknight. But she likely talked to people who told here Matty was a very wealthy hockey player. and given she is working as a security guard at 2 AM likely making minimum wage or close to it. so like it or not here is a chance to make a few bucks. But I temper that because I don't know whole story but if Auston and his dad were denying it then and not willing to apologize then heh I would go after him for some cash too. He could really easily apoligized to her and his dad given her some cash and the whole thing would have gone away.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

no.
but what he did clearly upset this person. he had no right to do it. she wanted an apology and then was treated like a piece of lying crap. and now people are calling her vindictive because HE did something to HER.

let's just be quite clear here.
Auston Matthews/his friends are not the boohoo poor them victims here. This lady is. story, end of. She is not spiteful. she is not vindictive.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
What he did was really stupid, people shouldn't make it something it isn't but we also need to not pretend it isn't nothing. The boys will be boys mentality is outdated and stupid. I hope he learns from this and it's a wake-up call.

that's what bothers me.
"they were drunk."
"we do silly things when we're drunk."
"it's her fault for making this into something it isn't."

No. it was Matthews/his parties fault for doing something in the first place and not having the maturity to own up to it when they were caught.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Functioned... And won nothing. So you're just proving my point. You've never played a team sport have you?

Lol, you are equating not winning to lacking a captain. Thats priceless, have they had a captain at any point since 1967, sure they have, yet they still havent won. I play lots of team sports and as an adult playing team sports, the idea of a captain is hilarious.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't know her and I could be way wrong on this but I think because she waited 2 days to report incident she was likely unsure what to do. She likely does not even know what a hockey player is based on being in Phoenix for a branch office restructuring and budget reviews. Very few people know hockey there and even the 2 in 100 that do don't want to drive so far to the games even with free tickets on a weeknight. But she likely talked to people who told here Matty was a very wealthy hockey player. and given she is working as a security guard at 2 AM likely making minimum wage or close to it. so like it or not here is a chance to make a few bucks. But I temper that because I don't know whole story but if Auston and his dad were denying it then and not willing to apologize then heh I would go after him for some cash too. He could really easily apoligized to her and his dad given her some cash and the whole thing would have gone away.

My guess is that she had no idea that he was a hockey player, but knew that he was a rich kid. I'm assuming it's a very nice condo, and he's 21... easy to put two and two together.

When he and his dad tried to make her out to be a liar instead of apologizing, that probably pissed her off. As it would piss me off.

No doubt she went to the cops to spite a entitled, rich, white kid who doesn't think consequences should apply to him, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Actually the Lady approached Auston and his father to get an apology and drop the issues. Auston denied the event occurred and the father stated his son would never do something like that. The condo board sent the video to them and they never replied after getting the proof the incident occurred. When they didn't reply the lady felt like she was being called a liar.
The episode likely would of been dropped if the family had just apologized when they were supplied proof it had occurred but forced the police report by not apologizing.
More than a case of behaving poorly when drunk, not apologizing to the lady after was no better than not telling the team and shows a lack of character.

Not talking about the specific incident....... in any walk of life. In any way.

As an adult who is dealing with another adult......
Could you ever in any way. Imagine a scenario where you are dealing with an adult. And then you go to his FATHER. To address the scenario?

Think of a time in your adult life that you have ever had a transgression against you by an adult. Have you ever spoke to a persons parent about it? Who wasn’t there? and had nothing to do with it?

What possible reason would there be to talk to an adults. Father? An apology? why would anyone expect an apology from the father of a person?

Taking that ridiculous scenario at face value. Say you were the father of a rich athlete. And a person says. Listen. X happened. I don’t want money. I don’t want anything. I just want an apology.

You would not respond? Your legal representation would not tell you. If that’s really all it is. Just an apology. Let’s just sort this out?

They have had 2 months to organize something. Regardless of the legalities or specifics of the incident. There was no plan to get this done quickly. If an apology was all it took. And that’s all that was asked for? This gets dragged into the season when it could have been solved that day?

No one knows the truth until proven in court.

But take the police and the specific incident out of it....... it’s a heck of a drawn out scenario if all
Someone wants a father to admit his son did something. And that’s all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad