Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 300185

I've watched all seasons of Ally McBeal, I think I know a thing or two about the law my friend.

Nah but seriously. He have to be mature enough to let Dubas know and not let him stand there surprised when this story breaks. They could've been proactive with it. I don't know, it just feel ****ty and disrespectful not to tell Dubas.

Mod Edit: Not safe for work comment removed.
:laugh: to the bolded. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
It shifted to the players, however, most of these players are accountable to nobody. If they are not accountable to management (the ones who pay them), do you think they care what John Tavares says?

Because he’s made a lot of money, is regarded as one of the best players in the league, has had a long successful career to this point, won an Olympic gold medal and that is all something they would want to emulate. Your boomer nihilism is narrow minded.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Maybe maybe not.

Would it have gone away with a "simple apology"? We don't know that. Saying it would have doesn't mean it would have been a simple apology. Didn't we read she wanted to call it a sexual assault but the detective told her it wasn't?

Let's keep this in perspective, no force was applied, no harm was inflicted, no property was damaged, no body part was exposed, no person was even touched and in today's world everyone has to be treated fairly and equally, so we cannot bring gender into this.

It was just a stupid prank that didn't go over like a drunk 21 year old thought it would.
It was a stupid prank and Matthews was 100% in the wrong for doing it. Stupid immature thing to do and shows he didnt think he would get in trouble. Not good qualities.

The next day the security guard probably went to get an apology and was told that Matthews was too good to do something like that and that they are lying. That made the security guard (self admittedly) mad. The security guard likely seeked legal advice and was told they could make some money if they pushed charges. This explains the charge getting laid a few days later.

The security guard was pissed at being ridiculed and being called a liar. They had a means to get an entitled rich kid to admit their actions and the security guard would finally get their apology. Oh ya they would also likely settle out of court with a nice big settlement too.

That is how I see this given the info so far. The security guard is 100% blowing this out of proportion but Matthews was 100% in the wrong in the first place.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Everyone and their grandmother knows that Matthews was the choice for captain prior to this stupidness happening. If the Leafs name anyone other then Matthews as captain it is basically showing how inept the organization is running things and how they allow public opinion to divert any of their plans.

Does Jerry Jones the owner of one of the biggest sports franchises on earth allow the public to dictate their support for a player? Michael Irvin did much worse then Matthews, a player like Zeke Elliott has done much worse as well. Fact is it doesn't matter who you have as the face of your brand when it comes to a franchise like the Leafs who in the hockey world are no different then the Cowboys in the NFL. An owner showing support for their stars goes a long way in cohesiveness and team chemistry which in my eyes builds towards a championship team.

If someone other then Matthews is named captain this will be the beginning of the end of a possible dynasty that we were all looking forward to. I said it first. Ownership and executive level people with the Leafs should show their support for a player like Matthews by doing one of 2 things. Number one give him the captaincy as originally planned, or wait until this blows over and hand the captaincy to him when it does.

I am not saying that Reilly and Tavares should not be captain because they speak for themselves as candidates. But everyone knows that Matthews was the clear choice from day one and what has transpired recently isn't reason to not make him it now.

If they do name a captain other then Matthews it will not be good for the Leafs organization.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
The way I see it as captain:

Who do you look to when your down a goal?
Who do you look to when you need someone to strap the team on their back and win games?
Who had the best ability to absolutely dominate games and carry the leafs through rounds of the playoffs like kawhi did?
What player are the players looking to to lead them to victory?
Who changed the franchise when they arrived?
Who brought other amazing players to the leafs once they arrived?
Would tavares be here is matthews wasnt?
Would other free agents consider us without matthews?

That to me is matthews. He is your go to guy. When push comes to shove. Your trusting him to lead and carry your team to victory.

Thats just my opinion on the C. My captain is THE guy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if all the smoke before this was wrong and it wasn't going to be Matthews, they have put the pick for C in a real tough position. It's going to look like they were 2nd choice, even if they weren't and were the guy all along. Its put the whole C thing in a really tough position.

No matter who the captain is I think at this point they should wait out this season, If its not Matthews start putting it out there it could be anyone throughout the year (because everyone will assume its Matthews and they are just waiting) and go once this is out of the news cycle

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think like most things that involve humans there is a little blame to go around for everyone. Auston should know better. The woman should of not been so sjw pc about it and his dad shouldn't of been such a prick. It's a perfect ****nado that left everyone covered in ****.

Truthfully we don't know how any of that went down. For all we know Matthews told his parents the next day, and maybe some details of his account just don't match hers and his dad called out the parts that don't and not the whole story?

I'm not looking to excuse him, I'm just personally prefering to let this whole thing play out before passing judgement on it all.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The way I see it as captain:

Who do you look to when your down a goal?
Who do you look to when you need someone to strap the team on their back and win games?
Who had the best ability to absolutely dominate games and carry the leafs through rounds of the playoffs like kawhi did?
What player are the players looking to to lead them to victory?
Who changed the franchise when they arrived?
Who brought other amazing players to the leafs once they arrived?
Would tavares be here is matthews wasnt?
Would other free agents consider us without matthews?

That to me is matthews. He is your go to guy. When push comes to shove. Your trusting him to lead and carry your team to victory.

Thats just my opinion on the C. My captain is THE guy.

The first couple of questions depends on babcock. I'm going to give him a clean slate this year, but his go-to guys were usually Marleau, Brown, Hainsey...... didn't use his top guns effectively when it mattered most

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It will never be outdated.
Some boys become men as teenagers but there are a lot of men out there in their livin like kids in their 30's still livin in the basement and a few who never make the leap. Does not matter whether you are a star hockey player or a kid working retail. But a few wake up calls can help speed up the maturation.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In general people are making way too much about the Matthews situation.

He didn't touch anyone, he didn't hurt anyone, he didn't break/damage anything.

Based on what I am reading from the security guard. She is being very vindictive and spiteful.

This is all the precursor to a civil law suit for some kind of BS psychological damages.

I would bet that if Matthews wasn't wealthy, she wouldn't be as vindictive and spiteful.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
921DCC9D-E4C5-4093-8471-CB7EB81DAA2C.jpeg

I mean...

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Because he’s made a lot of money, is regarded as one of the best players in the league, has had a long successful career to this point, won an Olympic gold medal and that is all something they would want to emulate. Your boomer nihilism is narrow minded.

I like your optimistic outlook on things. Regardless, my opinion is that a captain in sports is usless. You think otherwise, which you are entitled to do. Thats a wrap.

member 300185

Everyone and their grandmother knows that Matthews was the choice for captain prior to this stupidness happening. If the Leafs name anyone other then Matthews as captain it is basically showing how inept the organization is running things and how they allow public opinion to divert any of their plans.

Does Jerry Jones the owner of one of the biggest sports franchises on earth allow the public to dictate their support for a player? Michael Irvin did much worse then Matthews, a player like Zeke Elliott has done much worse as well. Fact is it doesn't matter who you have as the face of your brand when it comes to a franchise like the Leafs who in the hockey world are no different then the Cowboys in the NFL. An owner showing support for their stars goes a long way in cohesiveness and team chemistry which in my eyes builds towards a championship team.

If someone other then Matthews is named captain this will be the beginning of the end of a possible dynasty that we were all looking forward to. I said it first. Ownership and executive level people with the Leafs should show their support for a player like Matthews by doing one of 2 things. Number one give him the captaincy as originally planned, or wait until this blows over and hand the captaincy to him when it does.

I am not saying that Reilly and Tavares should not be captain because they speak for themselves as candidates. But everyone knows that Matthews was the clear choice from day one and what has transpired recently isn't reason to not make him it now.

If they do name a captain other then Matthews it will not be good for the Leafs organization.
No, no not everyone. There is a pretty big size of posters here that think JT is the best choice including myself.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It doesn't matter sire. Many NHL teams have during the history of the NHL given the C immediately to the biggest, strongest and most talented definet leader. Right as they arrive or start. That's the code some of them fools have. So my sight to this thang is its clearly Tavvy. But y'all see it in few days and I already want to congratulate y'all of this great choice. Its going to be wonderful and even tavvy's face is the sundin type of marketing face for years to come. Like 8 years straight or something like that. That sundin belfour tucker domi time is coming back. We have our identity back period.
I agree that Tavares will probably be the choice. But I wouldn't say it's obvious. Rielly is equally a good candidate imo.

member 298589

Matthews just needs to keep putting the puck in the net while being healthy and a "leader by action" on the ice. Not much else he can do at this point. I really don't care whether or not they give him the C.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No, no not everyone. There is a pretty big size of posters here that think JT is the best choice including myself.

Listen again I am not saying JT isn't deserving. What I am saying is like other organizations Edmonton (McDavid), Buffalo (Eichel), Tampa Bay (Stamkos), Pittsburgh (Crosby), Chicago (Toews), etc... they have always put their home grown drafted young players in captaincy roles because it resets the organization and culture. Each one of those teams have players as well that are worthy of captaincy, but in the end when your building a team more often then not you select a young player that is the face for the long term.

Matthews reset the Leafs organization prior to Tavares arriving. He lead a team to the playoffs from the cellar 2 straight seasons before Tavares arrived. He brought them back to prominence. Tavares didn't sign here to be captain. He signed here because he saw an opportunity to play for his hometeam and win a cup with a young core that was already led by a young superstar number one choice in Matthews.

Matthews gets the captaincy, Reilly doesn't complain, Tavares doesn't complain, and maybe the only person that does complain is Marner and his father but that happens regardless of who is caption.

Tavares gets named captain, Matthews wont like it, Marner wont like it, and to be honest I can see Marner's play with Tavares sour because that's who he is a huge suck. And I can see Matthews wanting out of Toronto for being slapped in the face. To me this is a great way for the Leafs to ensure Matthews indeed leaves for Arizona where he will be treated like a star that he truly is like the previously mentioned star players.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

Coach

Dec 18, 2010

If Auston is too scared to tell his father or the team the truth about this event. Do you really feel he is ready to deal with the Toronto media when things aren't going well. You also mention you believe if he isn't named captain the Leaf's chances of a dynasty are over. So your saying you feel his performance will greatly decline if he isn't given the captaincy.
Not sure that's the type of person I would be looking to lead a team.

Reactions: dsred

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tavares gets named captain, Matthews wont like it, Marner wont like it, and to be honest I can see Marner's play with Tavares sour because that's who he is a huge suck. And I can see Matthews wanting out of Toronto for being slapped in the face. To me this is a great way for the Leafs to ensure Matthews indeed leaves for Arizona where he will be treated like a star that he truly is like the previously mentioned star players.
Babcock pretty much said that the captain is someone that all the players and team agree on as a good choice. So if it is indeed Tavares this isn't true at all.

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad