Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Both Friedge and Dregs have said their "sources" aretelling them it has been JT all along. I just find it interesting that everybody (TSN and Sportsnet) in the media was saying Matthews until the incident went public. As I said it has been JT for me all along. I always envisioned it like they transitioned the "C" from Armstrong to Keon.

I think their sources are getting this out to prepare the fans so it doesn’t look like they’ve changed their minds.

Again Matthews not making the team aware puts everyone in a bad spot.

When you see red flags going up, be aware.

Reactions: ToneDog

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Both Friedge and Dregs have said their "sources" aretelling them it has been JT all along. I just find it interesting that everybody (TSN and Sportsnet) in the media was saying Matthews until the incident went public. As I said it has been JT for me all along. I always envisioned it like they transitioned the "C" from Armstrong to Keon.
I'm guessing Leafs brass are leaking info so that it won't look like Matthews had the 'C' taken away.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm a super huge Matthews fan. He's my favourite player I own 3 jerseys but I've basically only worn his since I got it.

The information coming out about that night in May though. Is anyone else really troubled by the reports that he had been a bad tenant and the condo residents were only too happy to hear of him getting caught and taken to task?

I get that he's 22 (21 at the time) but you're an NHL superstar now and a face of a legendary franchise. I really don't want to be judge and jury until the facts are corroborated but man that is not a good look right now.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not a fan of the new guy getting it (one year isn't enough). You shouldn't be able to walk in and become a captain even with Tavares' leadership history.

Rielly should have been the second choice after Matthews.

If anything that makes Tavares a better choice, imo. He chose us. Among many other options, he turned down more money and faced a huge backlash from Islanders fans because he wanted to be a Leaf. Then went out and exceeded expectations on the ice. I think he's earned it.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm a super huge Matthews fan. He's my favourite player I own 3 jerseys but I've basically only worn his since I got it.

The information coming out about that night in May though. Is anyone else really troubled by the reports that he had been a bad tenant and the condo residents were only too happy to hear of him getting caught and taken to task?

I get that he's 22 (21 at the time) but you're an NHL superstar now and a face of a legendary franchise. I really don't want to be judge and jury until the facts are corroborated but man that is not a good look right now.

I suppose it won't be so bad when TOR let's him go in 5 years.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Again the only thing that makes sense to me is you double down on your horse.
Tavares ages 29-34 is not your future. I can see how they could cop out of not giving it to a kid. By giving it to him and hoping they don’t fight.

But the bottom line is. Matthews is your horse. The biggest date in modern history was the day Matthews was drafted. Without him none of this happens. Tavares Doesn’t come.

He changed the team. Now you want to piss him off?

Trying to play peace maker just makes everyone mad. And the guy who is the worst to lose is matthews.

If they don’t pick him. They better have a plan to get something for him.

There seem to be way too many decisions made based on fear of losing this guy.

Give him absolute highend $$ for a 8 year deal but make it 5 cause we can't lose him to offer sheet.
Make him captain so that we don't lose him.

There is nothing anywhere that says your top goal scorer has to be captain. was Guy Lafleur captain of those 70s habs teams? No.

Matthews has enough to worry about (living up to contract, legal issues etc) the last thing he needs is the pressure of the captaincy. Give it to Rielly or Tavares. Matthews is lacking the maturity for it, Marner might be a candidate but he too is better left to focus on earning that conmtract.

Rielly would be my #1 choice. Give Tavares an A and the other one alternates (marner/matthews)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not a fan of the new guy getting it (one year isn't enough). You shouldn't be able to walk in and become a captain even with Tavares' leadership history.

Rielly should have been the second choice after Matthews.

That does send the message the Leafs internally didn't believe that they had anyone qualified, and that is why there was no captain for the past few years, until they outsourced it and brought in JT to fill the role.

JT is a great guy and leader but he is the new guy and the outsider which does have consequences that does speak to the other players on the team in terms of leadership abilities.

I personally believe the plan was always to let Matthews grow into the position and and then wanted to wait until he was resigned first before giving him the the C prior to this season, however this recent incident and how AM handled it has changed that outcome. IMO

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If anything that makes Tavares a better choice, imo. He chose us. Among many other options, he turned down more money and faced a huge backlash from Islanders fans because he wanted to be a Leaf. Then went out and exceeded expectations on the ice. I think he's earned it.

He chose us when we were loaded with young talent.

On the other hand, Rielly was drafted by the Leafs, played through some (very) bad years, signed a great contract, and is excellent with the media. That kind of service should be rewarded when it's a coin flip between two leaders.

Waiting for so long and then giving it to Tavares is rather silly.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
That does send the message the Leafs internally didn't believe that they had anyone qualified, and that is why there was no captain for the past few years, until they outsourced it and brought in JT to fill the role.

I personally believe the plan was always to let Matthews grow into the position and and then wanted to wait until he was resigned first before giving him the the C, however this recent incident and how AM handled it has changed that outcome. IMO

Agreed. It was Matthews captaincy to lose. And he lost it. That is why the patient approach is always the best approach. Someone can step up and prove they are the best candidate. Someone can fall by the wayside and prove they don't deserve it.

Not wanting to leave this post on a harsh note, I do think Matthews can be a Captain some day. Just not today.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

That's the part that's bothered me as well (if it is in fact true). One drunken night and making a mistake can be written off as a kid being dumb and learning from it. But if there is a trend here of disruptive behaviour then that could be a problem.

Reactions: Kazinski

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I wish all these stories wouldn't drag out. Should have just given the C to JT during last season if it was going to be him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed. It was Matthews captaincy to lose. And he lost it. That is why the patient approach is always the best approach. Someone can step up and prove they are the best candidate. Someone can fall by the wayside and prove they don't deserve it.

Not wanting to leave this post on a harsh note, I do think Matthews can be a Captain some day. Just not today.

When Auston sees young franchise players like McDavid and Eichel etc get the C and he sees himself as their equals/peers and then they bring in an outsider to be Leafs captain will that impact things?

If JT gets the captaincy, would that impact Matthews down the road on whether he stays or leaves in 5 years via free agency feeling he was shunned for the position and holds a grudge as to how much the organization values him?

Or will his own actions be the reason he himself is accountable for the change in organization direction and recognizes he may have disqualified himself?

Leafs management might even conclude that Rielly a home grown drafted and developed player getting the C now might have a different impact of the team.

Reactions: MC2D

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I believe it should be Rielly, JT hasn’t been a leaf long enough I don’t think. That said I always thought it would be Matthews though, that’s why I voted for him. Since he told his agent about the incident I’m assuming the agent should have told him to tell the leafs. Since the agent didn’t tell him to Matthews probably felt he was doing it properly. If a 21-year-old kid has someone hired to guide him on what to do and they don’t tell him how to do it properly, hard to blame the 21-year-old kid imho. Also after reading the story, if it wasn’t for his dad, there would’ve been no charge at all, probably why they didn’t want him to say nothing. I feel bad that the lady got scared and felt threatened but he knew the lady so to me he was just trying to be funny and the situation is blowing away out of proportion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

honestly, he just needs to grow up more. I mean. Patrick Kane had a lot of issues when he was younger and he grew out of it for the most part, so i mean i'm not that concerned about it

but basically i think in major light of this he needs to reconsider his support-staff/team because i don't think his team did him any favours in regards to this.

Last edited:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
When Auston sees young franchise players like McDavid and Eichel etc get the C and he sees himself as their equals/peers and then they bring in an outsider to be Leafs captain will that impact things?

If JT gets the captaincy, would that impact Matthews down the road on whether he stays or leaves in 5 years via free agency feeling he was shunned for the position and holds a grudge as to how much the organization values him?

Or will his own actions be the reason he himself is accountable for the change in organization direction and recognizes he may have disqualified himself?

As hard as it is for me to say this - he has 2 choices. He can learn from past mistakes and own the consequences of his actions, or he can sulk and feel that he was treated unfairly.

One of those choices is the sign of a mature player you want to keep. The other choice, unfortunately points to a player you want to distance yourself from.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
honestly, he just needs to grow up more. I mean. Patrick Kane had a lot of issues when he was younger and he grew out of it for the most part, so i mean i'm not that concerned about it

but basically i think in major light of this he needs to reconsider his team because i don't think his team did him any favours in regards to this.

By his team, you mean his support people (agent/dad) I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad