Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I don't know her and I could be way wrong on this but I think because she waited 2 days to report incident she was likely unsure what to do. She likely does not even know what a hockey player is based on being in Phoenix for a branch office restructuring and budget reviews. Very few people know hockey there and even the 2 in 100 that do don't want to drive so far to the games even with free tickets on a weeknight. But she likely talked to people who told here Matty was a very wealthy hockey player. and given she is working as a security guard at 2 AM likely making minimum wage or close to it. so like it or not here is a chance to make a few bucks. But I temper that because I don't know whole story but if Auston and his dad were denying it then and not willing to apologize then heh I would go after him for some cash too. He could really easily apoligized to her and his dad given her some cash and the whole thing would have gone away.

Absolutely. He should have handled it like "The Wolf" did

Reactions: al secord

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McDavid and Eichel were the only options for their respective teams hands down.
We have JT and Rielly. Two players that are ligit options. One with more tenure with the leafs and the other with way more experience in the league and being a captain. If Matthews feels snubbed he would be weak of character, and I don't think he is.

Remember when Paul Marner, Mitch's dad went public with his displeasure that his son was being disrespected and snubbed for captaincy consideration?

How Paul Marner entered the Maple Leafs news cycle

On Monday, Jonas Siegel published an in-depth profile on Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner in The Athletic. And in it emerged the makings of a new protagonist in Toronto’s undying quest to divvy up the pie in an equitable and uncompromising manner.

His name is Paul Marner. Or to Mitch Marner, Dad.

With sensitivity at an all-time high in the fallout from the William Nylander negotiation — said to have been heavily impacted by his hockey-playing father, Michael Nylander — Paul’s candid remarks included in Siegel’s piece touched a nerve, naturally, with the many folks stressing the financial implications associated with the complicated contract negotiations that loom with both Marner and Auston Matthews.

In short, Paul said that it drives the Marners “nuts” when Mitch isn’t included into the debate surrounding who should be the Leafs’ next captain, bemoaned the fact that his son was overlooked in a draft class that included Connor McDavid, and provided a glimpse into future contract negotiations by noting that so long as his son has been in the lineup, he’s been the Leafs’ top scorer.

All this is to say, it seems the Marners are intent on seizing theirs. Perhaps more than the Leafs can afford to give them, honestly.

Yet, there isn’t nearly enough in the piece to suggest that Marner’s father is ready to price his son out of Toronto, or that the family will influence such a hard bargain that the franchise will be forced to bleed out talent elsewhere.

Continued: How Paul Marner entered the Maple Leafs news cycle

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And based on what we're reading about Matthews, he and his dad are entitled and think they can bully others who they think are beneath them.

All of this could have gone away with a simple apology, but that apparently was too much to ask of the Matthews camp. I bet that's what bothers Shanahan and co. more than the actual incident.

Maybe maybe not.

Would it have gone away with a "simple apology"? We don't know that. Saying it would have doesn't mean it would have been a simple apology. Didn't we read she wanted to call it a sexual assault but the detective told her it wasn't?

Let's keep this in perspective, no force was applied, no harm was inflicted, no property was damaged, no body part was exposed, no person was even touched and in today's world everyone has to be treated fairly and equally, so we cannot bring gender into this.

It was just a stupid prank that didn't go over like a drunk 21 year old thought it would.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Not talking about the specific incident....... in any walk of life. In any way.

As an adult who is dealing with another adult......
Could you ever in any way. Imagine a scenario where you are dealing with an adult. And then you go to his FATHER. To address the scenario?

Think of a time in your adult life that you have ever had a transgression against you by an adult. Have you ever spoke to a persons parent about it? Who wasn’t there? and had nothing to do with it?

What possible reason would there be to talk to an adults. Father? An apology? why would anyone expect an apology from the father of a person?

Taking that ridiculous scenario at face value. Say you were the father of a rich athlete. And a person says. Listen. X happened. I don’t want money. I don’t want anything. I just want an apology.

You would not respond? Your legal representation would not tell you. If that’s really all it is. Just an apology. Let’s just sort this out?

They have had 2 months to organize something. Regardless of the legalities or specifics of the incident. There was no plan to get this done quickly. If an apology was all it took. And that’s all that was asked for? This gets dragged into the season when it could have been solved that day?

No one knows the truth until proven in court.

But take the police and the specific incident out of it....... it’s a heck of a drawn out scenario if all
Someone wants a father to admit his son did something. And that’s all

I think it's fair to assume that she didn't go to Brian Matthews, but that Brian Matthews inserted himself into the situation to "make it go away".

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
I know a lot of people here don't like Dangle but he had Chris Johnston on his podcast over the summer and Chris did a really good somewhat laid back interview with the boys about a whole bunch of topics. Chris is one of the few guys in media who's opinion is one I'll put stock in and when asked who he thought the Leafs would name captain he was almost positive in saying he thought it will be Matthews. Take that for what it is but in my mind Matthews was the choice and all this Tavares was the choice all along stuff coming out now is the Leafs sending that out to spin taking it away from Matthews.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not talking about the specific incident....... in any walk of life. In any way.

As an adult who is dealing with another adult......
Could you ever in any way. Imagine a scenario where you are dealing with an adult. And then you go to his FATHER. To address the scenario?

Think of a time in your adult life that you have ever had a transgression against you by an adult. Have you ever spoke to a persons parent about it? Who wasn’t there? and had nothing to do with it?

What possible reason would there be to talk to an adults. Father? An apology? why would anyone expect an apology from the father of a person?

Taking that ridiculous scenario at face value. Say you were the father of a rich athlete. And a person says. Listen. X happened. I don’t want money. I don’t want anything. I just want an apology.

You would not respond? Your legal representation would not tell you. If that’s really all it is. Just an apology. Let’s just sort this out?

They have had 2 months to organize something. Regardless of the legalities or specifics of the incident. There was no plan to get this done quickly. If an apology was all it took. And that’s all that was asked for? This gets dragged into the season when it could have been solved that day?

No one knows the truth until proven in court.

But take the police and the specific incident out of it....... it’s a heck of a drawn out scenario if all
Someone wants a father to admit his son did something. And that’s all

If he was a 35 year old man then maybe she doesn't go to the father, but he is clearly a very young man still so to me it makes sense to go the father. To her, he is just a young immature kid.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Maybe maybe not.

Would it have gone away with a "simple apology"? We don't know that. Saying it would have doesn't mean it would have been a simple apology. Didn't we read she wanted to call it a sexual assault but the detective told her it wasn't?

Let's keep this in perspective, no force was applied, no harm was inflicted, no property was damaged, no body part was exposed, no person was even touched and in today's world everyone has to be treated fairly and equally, so we cannot bring gender into this.

It was just a stupid prank that didn't go over like a drunk 21 year old thought it would.

You're right, it was just a stupid prank. And for that reason, Matthews won't go to jail. He won't lose his source of income. He won't pay a heavy fine. His lawyer will almost assuredly cut a deal, because he's a first time offender who doesn't pose an ongoing threat. Matthews will likely have to participate in an educational program. That's all.

But with that said, he showed very bad judgement during and after the incident, and that will no doubt affect his standing with MLSE, as it should. Being the captain of the Leafs isn't just about leading a dressing room, it's about being the face of a billion dollar brand. And if you want to do that, don't be an idiot.

In the grand scheme of things, not being named captain is not a serious consequence. It's a pretty reasonable one. Its akin to getting too drunk at the office Christmas party and then being passed up for a promotion in favor of an equally qualified candidate.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Answer seems simple

Rielly - C
Tavares - A
Muzzin - A

If Muzzin leaves and Matthews shows some leadership over the year maybe he gets the A next season.

You can't give a letter to a guy who got arrested in the offseason and had his GM find out over twitter during training camp. Maturity just isn't there to be a leader and he needs to learn the lesson that his skills don't get him a free pass on this one.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My guess is that she had no idea that he was a hockey player, but knew that he was a rich kid. I'm assuming it's a very nice condo, and he's 21... easy to put two and two together.

When he and his dad tried to make her out to be a liar instead of apologizing, that probably pissed her off. As it would piss me off.

No doubt she went to the cops to spite a entitled, rich, white kid who doesn't think consequences should apply to him, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.
He will pay more to his lawyer and in a charity give away then it would have cost him to apologize ... he got some really bad advice ... bad judgment to approach her car and moon (but I kinda get the things that get done as a kid drunk as a skunk) and equally bad in how to settle it up ... but it is done now and you can't change life. He must move on and learn from it. The kids nowadays have it so much harder man. Between phones, cameras, the internet, social media, sexual diseases and a new political correctness it is much harder to be a kid growing up even if you are a pro athlete. The days of whistling at hot babes on bus, picking up puck bunnies after games, getting drunk in sleezy hotels man they are all over and done. At the time it all seemed ok.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Answer seems simple

Rielly - C
Tavares - A
Muzzin - A

If Muzzin leaves and Matthews shows some leadership over the year maybe he gets the A next season.

You can't give a letter to a guy who got arrested in the offseason and had his GM find out over twitter during training camp. Maturity just isn't there to be a leader and he needs to learn the lesson that his skills don't get him a free pass on this one.
Definitely not. Here's the tsn link to babcock's statement of the obvious choice: https://www.tsn.ca/mike-babcock-str...ain-will-be-obvious-to-all-involved-1.1372461
Babcock clearly says here Strong feeling its going to be obvious.
Wich indicates its definitely Johnny Tavares. Noice choice sire, definitely a noice choice.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I don't think that because nothing serious happened that this should be blown off as if it was nothing. It could have turned out a heckuva whole lot worse. And I still don't think because no harm was inflicted or no property was damaged it doesn't make the attempt to get into the car an extremely stupid and dangerous act.

member 300185

Matthews disqualified himself when he didn't report about this to Dubas. Like a child he tries to sweep it under the rug? My jaw almost dropped when I read that Dubas learned about it from Twitter... he might be a good goal scorer, but that showed he's not a mature person yet.
^
This times 10

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Definitely not. Here's the tsn link to babcock's statement of the obvious choice: https://www.tsn.ca/mike-babcock-str...ain-will-be-obvious-to-all-involved-1.1372461
Babcock clearly says here Strong feeling its going to be obvious.
Wich indicates its definitely Johnny Tavares. Noice choice sire, definitely a noice choice.
I would also think Rielly is the obvious choice, because he's been with the team the longest, is their best Dman. Was drafted by the team. I get the Tavares angle, but he's only been on the team a year.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Some traditions are just silly, I just dont see the point in modern day sports anymore. I mean you have a bunch of highly paid, sheltered athletes who listen to nobody in authority. Its not like years ago, when guys goofed around they would get cut, and they needed someone to set them straight. The structure of power in sports has shifted from management/coaches to players.

If the power structure has shifted from management & coaching to the players then it’s all the more important to have one player designated as having the senior leadership position. I.e. the captain. Congratulations, you negated your own argument.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Answer seems simple

Rielly - C
Tavares - A
Muzzin - A

He wasn't arrested, he received a citation.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If the power structure has shifted from management & coaching to the players then it’s all the more important to have one player designated as having the senior leadership position. I.e. the captain. Congratulations, you negated your own argument.

It shifted to the players, however, most of these players are accountable to nobody. If they are not accountable to management (the ones who pay them), do you think they care what John Tavares says?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I would also think Rielly is the obvious choice, because he's been with the team the longest, is their best Dman. Was drafted by the team. I get the Tavares angle, but he's only been on the team a year.
It doesn't matter sire. Many NHL teams have during the history of the NHL given the C immediately to the biggest, strongest and most talented definet leader. Right as they arrive or start. That's the code some of them fools have. So my sight to this thang is its clearly Tavvy. But y'all see it in few days and I already want to congratulate y'all of this great choice. Its going to be wonderful and even tavvy's face is the sundin type of marketing face for years to come. Like 8 years straight or something like that. That sundin belfour tucker domi time is coming back. We have our identity back period.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

member 300185

I cant say sources or anything, but I've heard since this AM incident (where he was going to be captain prior to brass finding out), now they're leaning towards splitting it between AM and JT.
You can't say them because you dont have them.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
that's what bothers me.
"they were drunk."
"we do silly things when we're drunk."
"it's her fault for making this into something it isn't."

No. it was Matthews/his parties fault for doing something in the first place and not having the maturity to own up to it when they were caught.

I think like most things that involve humans there is a little blame to go around for everyone. Auston should know better. The woman should of not been so sjw pc about it and his dad shouldn't of been such a prick. It's a perfect shitnado that left everyone covered in shit.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It doesn't matter sire. Many NHL teams have during the history of the NHL given the C immediately to the biggest, strongest and most talented definet leader. Right as they arrive or start. That's the code some of them fools have. So my sight to this thang is its clearly Tavvy. But y'all see it in few days and I already want to congratulate y'all of this great choice. Its going to be wonderful and even tavvy's face is the sundin type of marketing face for years to come. Like 8 years straight or something like that. That sundin belfour tucker domi time is coming back. We have our identity back period.

Conference Finals here we come.

member 300185

Not a fan of the new guy getting it (one year isn't enough). You shouldn't be able to walk in and become a captain even with Tavares' leadership history.

Rielly should have been the second choice after Matthews.
So you dont want Barrie or Ceci to be it because they are the new guys. JT is starting his second year. He's not new.

member 300185

And in the Army, Police force, Fire... Heck even Gov't. Oh wait structure is good. Never mind!
You are confusing "chain of command" with a letter on a sports team. Leafs already have a chain of command that starts with the owners, Shanny, KD, Pridham, Babs, then the captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad