Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Again the only thing that makes sense to me is you double down on your horse.
Tavares ages 29-34 is not your future. I can see how they could cop out of not giving it to a kid. By giving it to him and hoping they don’t fight.

But the bottom line is. Matthews is your horse. The biggest date in modern history was the day Matthews was drafted. Without him none of this happens. Tavares Doesn’t come.

He changed the team. Now you want to piss him off?

Trying to play peace maker just makes everyone mad. And the guy who is the worst to lose is matthews.

If they don’t pick him. They better have a plan to get something for him.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
@kb
Not responding to you specifically, but isn't anyone bothered by her conduct?

I am, at least a bit - but that only makes me feel even more strongly that the Matthews' camp handled this badly.

Reactions: kb

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I can see JT getting the C. Like they did with the Wings Babs likes to give the veteran leaders the C and hand it down. If we go the same way its JT then Rielly then Matthews in order.

Reactions: Ciao

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
@kb

I am, at least a bit - but that only makes me feel even more strongly that the Matthews' camp handled this badly.

I know that ‘handling’ is current, but there are but two things that concern me: the severity of the issue and the reason he didn’t inform the team. Neither require or are assisted by handling.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I love our boards passion, for better or worse lol. I will say this though, why do we care so much over the captaincy? To be honest growing up playing rep hockey, junior hockey etc it was such a big deal (36 now). I don't think it matters on this team as much as people and the media make it out to be. Matthews, Tavares, Reilly, Marner are all awesome candidates. Why obsess over it? These players know what's going on and will self-regulate in the room if a C is on their chest or not. Let's just focus on the season and enjoy it.

Reactions: LeafSteel

HappyJoy

Jun 17, 2019
Again the only thing that makes sense to me is you double down on your horse.
Tavares ages 29-34 is not your future. I can see how they could cop out of not giving it to a kid. By giving it to him and hoping they don’t fight.

But the bottom line is. Matthews is your horse. The biggest date in modern history was the day Matthews was drafted. Without him none of this happens. Tavares Doesn’t come.

He changed the team. Now you want to piss him off?

Trying to play peace maker just makes everyone mad. And the guy who is the worst to lose is matthews.

If they don’t pick him. They better have a plan to get something for him.

Matthews disqualified himself when he didn't report about this to Dubas. Like a child he tries to sweep it under the rug? My jaw almost dropped when I read that Dubas learned about it from Twitter... he might be a good goal scorer, but that showed he's not a mature person yet.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Matthews disqualified himself when he didn't report about this to Dubas. Like a child he tries to sweep it under the rug? My jaw almost dropped when I read that Dubas learned about it from Twitter... he might be a good goal scorer, but that showed he's not a mature person yet.

As much as I wanted to see Matthews receive the Captaincy, I can't disagree with this. It's unfortunate.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I personally don't think this is something that should eliminate Matthews from being Captain.

However, I understand if they make the decision to go with someone else.

If it's anyone else this media shitshow continues longer.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

I still say the Matthews family hired an incompetent lawyer who tried to sweep it under the rug and it failed miserably.

HappyJoy

Jun 17, 2019
I still say the Matthews family hired an incompetent lawyer who tried to sweep it under the rug and it failed miserably.

This is the same arguement that people made with Marner tho... They are adults, right? But no, it's the lawyers fault or it's the agents fault (in Marners case). If Matthew's wanted to wear the "C" he should've acted like a grown up and told his boss. Its disrespectful to say the least.

Reactions: Cotton

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
For the sake of the team (as in get this side show over with), giving 34 the C is the best solution. Media gong show for a week after then it goes away. Give it to anyone else and the side show continues...

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
He's 21 and was in all likelihood working under the guidance of his agent and lawyer, for whatever they told him it wasn't necessary... Bad advice clearly, but no big deal.. over an incident that's being completely overblown.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Watch this video with Tavares, Bracco, Marner, and Kadri on Toronto slang. I'm shocked that Tavares is only 29. Sometimes he comes across as more mature and straight-laced than many 40-somethings who I know. He also has the voice and intonation of an accountant. Good captain material though. LOL

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

But why didn’t his parents and lawyer advise him to tell the Leafs?
Strange deal all around.

It feels like there is a lot more to the story.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Watch this video with Tavares, Bracco, Marner, and Kadri on Toronto slang. I'm shocked that Tavares is only 29. Sometimes he comes across as more mature and straight-laced than many 40-somethings who I know. He also has the voice and intonation of an accountant. Good captain material though. LOL

Actually a pretty funny video.

I don't think this proves in anyway Tavares is a better option for captain (If anything, he doesn't connect with a younger fan base).

Not that Tavares wouldn't make a great captain, I just don't think this video proves it.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I love our boards passion, for better or worse lol. I will say this though, why do we care so much over the captaincy? To be honest growing up playing rep hockey, junior hockey etc it was such a big deal (36 now). I don't think it matters on this team as much as people and the media make it out to be. Matthews, Tavares, Reilly, Marner are all awesome candidates. Why obsess over it? These players know what's going on and will self-regulate in the room if a C is on their chest or not. Let's just focus on the season and enjoy it.
You answered your own question lol. You're right that its really not necessarily that important for the team itself as the leadership group is already defined. Its a symbolic thing with a lot of history and tradition. Sundin, Gilmour, Clark, Sittler, Keon, Armstrong, Kennedy, Apps; these guys embodied what it meant to be a Leaf.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Matthews was always an underdog with Tavares in the mix. This incident didn't only lower Matthews a bit, it boosted the bonafides of the more experienced pro.

They always said a captain would emerge.

What I hadn't considered was not only would the cream rise to the top - but others could sink, and not just by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->