Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed already but has anyone considered he tried to keep it secret hoping they would award him the captaincy before it came to light? That might explain why he was talking openly to the media this summer about how honoured he be to be captain after 2 years of silence on the subject. If so, also not a good look.

For what it's worth, I was 100% in Matthews' corner for the C before all of this and I think I'm leaning Tavares at this point.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Austin was just drunk that night. Like a true captain, I am sure a took full responsibility when sober the next day and personally apologized to the women.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
The harm in naming matthews captain:

1. This incident and people getting mad for a week or a month

The harm in not naming matthews captain:

1. People question if he was going to be captain and then this incident happened
2. The media has a field day with burying matthews all year and moving forward about how management doesnt like him or trust him
3. People ask why not matthews when EVERY other team gives it to their best young franchise center (crosby, barkov, mcdavid, stamkos, toews, eichel, etc.)
4. Taking the C away from matthews after he knew (I believe those photos are real or at least that the players know already) which makes him upset and mad and more down on himself
5. Affecting are best players on ice performance in a VERY important year
6. Not having your franchise players back in a time of crisis for him
7. Potentially pushing matthews away and him leaving after his contract
8. Causing a rift in the relationship between your franchise player and management
9. Causing more a rift between babcock and matthews
10. Tavares or rielly feeling that it was never meant for them and they are getting “sloppy seconds”
11. The media questioning tavares or rielly about matty the entire time at the captaincy conference “how does matthews feel?”, “do you think matthews was supposed to be captain until the incident?”, “is matthews okay with you getting the C?”, etc.
12. The media dragging this incident with matthews for the rest of his career as the incident that cost him the C

Reactions: kevrondl

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Rielly is the best choice and always was.

Reportedly he is an awesome teammate and interacts with all the player "cliques" bridging the subgroups of the dressing room. I'm paraphrasing here based on what has come out in the media about his role as glue-guy in the dressing room.

More than that though his demeanor and maturity set him apart. He oozes leadership and he's a homegrown player that has paid his dues since he's been here. He's everything you want in a captain and a leader. I really hope he gets the C.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It should have been JT all along, what more do you want in a captain. Also is Matthews, or Reilly for that matter, really going to be peeved giving it to a guy that oozes every facet of what a captain embodies. For my money, giving it to JT is the easiest route.
JT's won pretty much everything there is to win, just need a Stanley Cup to ice the cake.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The harm in naming matthews captain:

1. This incident and people getting mad for a week or a month

The harm in not naming matthews captain:

1. People question if he was going to be captain and then this incident happened
2. The media has a field day with burying matthews all year and moving forward about how management doesnt like him or trust him
3. People ask why not matthews when EVERY other team gives it to their best young franchise center (crosby, barkov, mcdavid, stamkos, toews, eichel, etc.)
4. Taking the C away from matthews after he knew (I believe those photos are real or at least that the players know already) which makes him upset and mad and more down on himself
5. Affecting are best players on ice performance in a VERY important year
6. Not having your franchise players back in a time of crisis for him
7. Potentially pushing matthews away and him leaving after his contract
8. Causing a rift in the relationship between your franchise player and management
9. Causing more a rift between babcock and matthews
10. Tavares or rielly feeling that it was never meant for them and they are getting “sloppy seconds”
11. The media questioning tavares or rielly about matty the entire time at the captaincy conference “how does matthews feel?”, “do you think matthews was supposed to be captain until the incident?”, “is matthews okay with you getting the C?”, etc.
12. The media dragging this incident with matthews for the rest of his career as the incident that cost him the C
do you really wants a player on your team who screws up and therefore reacts by any or all of the scenarios you've proposed? IF this would be his reaction to his screw up it proves he's not Leaf material let alone captain material.

Hopefully, this will be a learning experience and down the road Mathews will get his chance to captain the team, that is if he's mature enough to not hold petty grunges against the team or sulk over not getting the captaincy he obviously isn't ready for?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
My order for captain is:
  1. Matthews
  2. Rielly
  3. JT
Matthews because he is the face of the team, best player, seems like a good leader. This recent issue may change some minds, but still best choice IMO.

I like Rielly because he has been here a long time, drafted by this team and seems like a great leader.

JT would be a great choice too. Only reason I put Rielly ahead is because of being drafted here, and longevity with the team.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
I cant say sources or anything, but I've heard since this AM incident (where he was going to be captain prior to brass finding out), now they're leaning towards splitting it between AM and JT.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This is the same arguement that people made with Marner tho... They are adults, right? But no, it's the lawyers fault or it's the agents fault (in Marners case). If Matthew's wanted to wear the "C" he should've acted like a grown up and told his boss. Its disrespectful to say the least.
One is about hockey, the other is about the law.

You and me know hockey, how well do we know the law?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
On the radio 1050am they just said they expect Tavares to be named captain on Monday.

I personally believe if Rielly was signed long term it would be him. He's been acting the part the last few years anyway; the go between with Refs and Babs, the always available media guy, hell, even our player rep for pride day.

Tavares is a great choice though.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
As far back as year or more ago, I'd been saying dual captains would be an interesting idea.

Super rare (Drury/Briere on the Sabres come to mind). I mean, why not?

Edit: This is in response to the person who said JT and Auston split the duties.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On the radio 1050am they just said they expect Tavares to be named captain on Monday.

Both Friedge and Dregs have said their "sources" aretelling them it has been JT all along. I just find it interesting that everybody (TSN and Sportsnet) in the media was saying Matthews until the incident went public. As I said it has been JT for me all along. I always envisioned it like they transitioned the "C" from Armstrong to Keon.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Both Friedge and Dregs have said their "sources" aretelling them it has been JT all along. I just find it interesting that everybody (TSN and Sportsnet) in the media was saying Matthews until the incident went public. As I said it has been JT for me all along. I always envisioned it like they transitioned the "C" from Armstrong to Keon.
Think Dreger was saying JT prior to this incident.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille