Post-Game Talk: Leafs surrender 5 and then fall short on comeback to Chicago

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It is a judgemental call. They should change it to black and white like they do with the puck over the glass rule. Bet goalies take more care not to knock it off if they know they will get a penalty or penalty shot.
the two infraction rule is real and the Toews was given a pass

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah, you might believe that all teams mentally check out when they have a solid lead, but I mean all you have do to understand that is not the case with Chicago is go all the way back to their.....previous game.

I don't give them credit for coming back. They have to start on time. I doubt the dummies we have for players didn't learn a thing. Did they learn anything from the Isles game or the TB game?

RLF

May 5, 2014
The best I can see is:
1. Matthews...Tavares (can play heavy)...Marner (going to try to overwhelm in this situation)

2. Hyman...Nylander...Johnsson (Hyman gives us some of the forecheck)

3. Moore...Kadri...Kapanen (same deal as above with a little more aggressive)

4. Marleau..Goat...Brown/Ennis

This right now is the best heavy I can get around.

Interesting. I really like lines 3 and 4. I'm not sure about the make up of especially 2.

I think if me, I would

Johnsson Tavares Marner (let Marner set up two guys with good finish and Tavares likes to play in the corners and infront)

Hyman Matthews Nylander (Go back to one of the most dominant 5v5 lines the past two years and puts Hyman infornt of the net instead of Matthews like we have seen lately)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So, you are saying we only have 3 star players on our Leafs?

I'd say we have at least 6 dangerous forwards that could be alternated shift after shift for 30-45 seconds at a time. Same with the D. You use the top 4 D and sit the rest.

When behind in a game in the 3rd period, as a coach, I use to shorten the bench and double shift my best players. My 4th line wouldn't see the ice again until we had the lead in the game, and, even then, they were required to keep their shifts really short, like 30 seconds or so.

That's actually what Babs did last night. It was one of the very few periods where we abandoned the matchups and just rolled the top-9, 4th line only played 3 shifts IIRC. Both Matthews and Tavares played over 21 minutes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My issue is that the teams like you mention have players that are aggressive and hound the puck. No one would question those guys drive and desire.

lol. if they were leafs you can be damn sure everyone would question it.

Reactions: Leafidelity

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
this was the first time in a while the Leafs played how I would want them to in the postseason. too little too late for this game, sure. But if they can tap into that determination and work that hard when it counts, I'll be satisfied

Reactions: beer123

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't give them credit for coming back. They have to start on time.

That is why the 72 summit series is still viewed with shame in Canada. Team didn't start the series or the final game on time. Had to come back. No credit for that. Same goes for the deciding game of the 87 Canada Cup. Down 3-0 8 minutes in. Boo.

If the team had managed to score instead of the net being knocked off with 20 seconds left, this game would be viewed completely differently.

So I will call the game what it is: an example of the team digging deep and showing character in a bad situation, from a team that I have criticized very strongly for the last 2 or 3 months for displaying neither.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
this was the first time in a while the Leafs played how I would want them to in the postseason. too little too late for this game, sure. But if they can tap into that determination and work that hard when it counts, I'll be satisfied
it shouldn't be IF !

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I don't give them credit for coming back. They have to start on time. I doubt the dummies we have for players didn't learn a thing. Did they learn anything from the Isles game or the TB game?
You doubt they didn't learn a thing, that means you think they may have learned something, I hope that you're right.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So, you are saying we only have 3 star players on our Leafs? I also realize we have some injuries, but, you still have to go all out to try and win the game by playing your top 6 forwards and top 4 Dmen.

I'd say we have at least 6 dangerous forwards that could be alternated shift after shift for 30-45 seconds at a time. Same with the D. You use the top 4 D and sit the rest.

When behind in a game in the 3rd period, as a coach, I use to shorten the bench and double shift my best players. My 4th line wouldn't see the ice again until we had the lead in the game, and, even then, they were required to keep their shifts really short, like 30 seconds or so.
I was referring to the 6 players on the ice and the bench was shortened in the 3rd.
Did all the top forwards not play in the last 3 minutes?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is why the 72 summit series is still viewed with shame in Canada. Team didn't start the series or the final game on time. Had to come back. No credit for that. Same goes for the deciding game of the 87 Canada Cup. Down 3-0 8 minutes in. Boo.

If the team had managed to score instead of the net being knocked off with 20 seconds left, this game would be viewed completely differently.

So I will call the game what it is: an example of the team digging deep and showing character in a bad situation, from a team that have criticized vocally for the last 2 or 3 months for displaying neither.

Team Canada won in the end, we didn't. Also I think it's cool that you're trying to look at things on the bright side but if someone asked me what I thought about the Leafs last night, "showing character" definitely isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

So I will call the game what it is: an example of the team digging deep and showing character in a bad situation, from a team that I have criticized very strongly for the last 2 or 3 months for displaying neither.

It's only meaningful if they change their ways. If they don't start on time against Philly, they will get blitzed again.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I was referring to the 6 players on the ice and the bench was shortened in the 3rd.
Did all the top forwards not play in the last 3 minutes?
I'm not sure, but, Nylander was sitting on the bench when he should have been on the ice.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The bench was shortened in the second. After the fourth line allowed the 5th goal (and others) with 28 minutes left, that line only stepped on the ice one more time. Zaitsev played only 4 minutes in the 3rd period. All the big guns saw their ice time go up dramatically in the third, except Nylander. Matthews played almost the entire last 2:30 of the game. Other teams do that all the time, but it was the first time I can remember Babs really shortening the bench - and he did it in a game that they were down 5-0. He needs to do that more often, but I give him credit for doing it this time.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure, but, Nylander was sitting on the bench when he should have been on the ice.
Which was the entire point of my post that you clearly didn't understand.
If you play all the top players at once you have no one left for the next shift.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting. I really like lines 3 and 4. I'm not sure about the make up of especially 2.

I think if me, I would

Johnsson Tavares Marner (let Marner set up two guys with good finish and Tavares likes to play in the corners and infront)

Hyman Matthews Nylander (Go back to one of the most dominant 5v5 lines the past two years and puts Hyman infornt of the net instead of Matthews like we have seen lately)
Dubas was responsible (as far as I know) for signing Trevor Moore on the Marlies.
I like the way that kid plays so I have to think that Dubas has some understanding of the aggressive, high tempo style this team needs more of.

Next year if you can replace Marleau, Brown and Johnsson with heavier Moore types, that would be a great start.

Replace those 3 with players that played the way Tampa/Boston/NYI played as they blitzed us.

Players like Sheary,Paquette,Gourde,a Debrusk,etc.

Then fix the right side D.

Reactions: Conn Smythe OEL

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Dubas was responsible (as far as I know) for signing Trevor Moore on the Marlies.
I like the way that kid plays so I have to think that Dubas has some understanding of the aggressive, high tempo style this team needs more of.

Next year if you can replace Marleau, Brown and Johnsson with heavier Moore types, that would be a great start.

Replace those 3 with players that played the way Tampa/Boston/NYI played as the blitzed us.

I like Moore but from my seat last night he looked a little over his head playing with Tavares and Marner.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

RLF

May 5, 2014

Replace those 3 with players that played the way Tampa/Boston/NYI played as they blitzed us.

Sounds about right. Yea, I had put out in another post that I wonder what we would have to give up to get Wood and Severson out of NJ. They need scoring, we need a top 4 RHD and some size and help on the left side. Start with Johnsson and add (Liligren)/??

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Agreed but it won't be easy due to the cap. We need to hit a double or a triple with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I don't see us hitting a HR like TB did with Point.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Which was the entire point of my post that you clearly didn't understand.
If you play all the top players at once you have no one left for the next shift.
Okay, I understand, however, our Leafs do have at least 6 decent players, so loading up 2 lines really isn't that hard. Injuries aside that is.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like Moore but from my seat last night he looked a little over his head playing with Tavares and Marner.
No doubt moving that high in the lineup.
He probably has a certain talent ceiling and it might be line 3 with Kadri.

But that’s the type of attributes I’m looking for within a higher skilled package. If Moore could score 30 goals, he’d be Gallagher.
That type of drive train is what I feel lacking from our skill.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Okay, I understand, however, our Leafs do have at least 6 decent players, so loading up 2 lines really isn't that hard. Injuries aside that is.
12 players would be 2 lines with the goalie out.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

I'm sorry you want to replace Johnsson? Marleau and Brown for sure. But Andreas Johnsson?

Not to mention he actually plays the style you're seeking to replace him with anyways.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad