Post-Game Talk: Leafs surrender 5 and then fall short on comeback to Chicago

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
wasn't that what they did?
I wasn't at the game, however, some posters eluded to the fact that the wrong players were on the ice in the last 2 minutes. Kadri muffed his shot badly all the while Tavares was sitting on the bench.

So, if you were at the game, were the right players on the ice when our Leafs were looking to tie up the game in the last 2 minutes?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wasn't at the game, however, some posters eluded to the fact that the wrong players were on the ice in the last 2 minutes. Kadri muffed his shot badly all the while Tavares was sitting on the bench.

So, if you were at the game, were the right players on the ice when our Leafs were looking to tie up the game in the last 2 minutes?
Seemed to be. They had numerous chances to tie it and pretty much held the zone for the entire time.
Tavares scored the 4th goal, pretty sure he was on the ice when that happened.

Reactions: Al14

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm sorry you want to replace Johnsson? Marleau and Brown for sure. But Andreas Johnsson?

Not to mention he actually plays the style you're seeking to replace him with anyways.
Yes need to acquire legit top 4 D while value is high. You can pick Kadri or Kapanen instead of you like. But we need money for D.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I'm not part of the Babs is best crowd. That said, I don't think he is a horrible coach either. The issue is, can our players be trusted to play another system? Will they make the right reads etc? All our systems are designed to play "safe" imo. I would suggest that Babcock is not confident that this group will work hard enough to play systems that would require that.

You have a point there...but I still wonder if the players themselves feel he is not putting them in a position to succeed. If they lose faith in what he is saying, then the rest of it is just going through the motions because they are told to do so. Having a leader you believe in is very important in sports. Look at the LA Rams in the NFL. Basically the same bunch of players ( I am a fan so I would know) that Jeff Fisher(4-12) had and Sean McVay (11-5) takes them to the playoffs in his first year. So, that means that the players were not buying what the old coach was selling and were never put in a position to be at their best. It happens all the time with coaches that are married to "their" systems and they end up going down because of it.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
My son keeps telling me that the correct call on the ice should have been the awarding of a penalty shot. That it was a missed delay call by the ref? If so that is a very bad missed call given the ref was standing right by the post. Maybe there should be an investigation into that ref and whether he was intentionally screwing over the Leafs?

Doesn't change the fact they played terrible most of the game. They tried to comeback late again and failed

RLF

May 5, 2014
You have a point there...but I still wonder if the players themselves feel he is not putting them in a position to succeed. If they lose faith in what he is saying, then the rest of it is just going through the motions because they are told to do so. Having a leader you believe in is very important in sports. Look at the LA Rams in the NFL. Basically the same bunch of players ( I am a fan so I would know) that Jeff Fisher(4-12) had and Sean McVay (11-5) takes them to the playoffs in his first year. So, that means that the players were not buying what the old coach was selling and were never put in a position to be at their best. It happens all the time with coaches that are married to "their" systems and they end up going down because of it.

Don't disagree that a change behind the bench can be positive.
My point is, if the issue is the players are playing a system that is designed to get the most of them, and they are not willing to put in the effort, then coaching is not the only issue. We could change the coach, he puts in a different system and we may have less success...and how long before they tune him out and decide not to play hard?
Right now I think it is a combination. I watch the players demeanor and I don't think many are happy with how things are going. I also don't think some of these players are capable or have the will to play a more aggressive style in our own end. I see too many times we try cute little passes that get intercepted or off skates instead of making sure it gets out with the safe play. I too question many of our young guys ability to read and make the right play defensively. Although I do not think we play systems that always play to our strengths based on our speed and skill, I also understand why Babcock deploys a "safer" defensive zone coverage style because I don't trust our guys either especially to win one on one battles and break up cycles.

Basically, I think we have a coach who believes this is the best system for a young team that still makes a lot of mental errors and I also think the players don't like it as they want to free wheel more (some immaturity expected). Is the solution a new coach? Not sure because a new coach may let them loose and we have 7-6 games in the regular season and still get ate up in the playoffs.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
That is why the 72 summit series is still viewed with shame in Canada. Team didn't start the series or the final game on time. Had to come back. No credit for that. Same goes for the deciding game of the 87 Canada Cup. Down 3-0 8 minutes in. Boo.

If the team had managed to score instead of the net being knocked off with 20 seconds left, this game would be viewed completely differently.

So I will call the game what it is: an example of the team digging deep and showing character in a bad situation, from a team that I have criticized very strongly for the last 2 or 3 months for displaying neither.

I agree with the sentiment, however, how much of the Leafs comeback was really "digging deep" compared to the Hawks sitting back with a big lead and having their starter leave the game? It's impossible to say, so yes, give the Leafs credit for not giving up, but I'm not prepared to chalk up last night's comeback effort as a clear sign this team is finally showing heart.

(Personally, I'd rather see them come out strong after the debacle that was the TB game, dominate a streaking team like the Hawks early on and never let up. That to me would be a better sign of a team that can dig deep).

Reactions: Suntouchable13

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The word "millennial" is the adjective form of the word "millennium".

not that it matters

something in the neighbourhood of "millenial based obsession" or "millenial inspired obsession," instead of solely "millenial obsession":cool:

only because as we know Babcock is no millenial:laugh:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Kinda of a disaster season with long term bad repercussions.

Overpaying Nylander...Should have gone with the winning lineup that was on the ice in October and November.
Trading Leivo. Yea he's that special forcing the poor Nylander into lineup as only hurt the team
Signing Matthews to THAT contract. Second highest player in the league. Cmon.
Trading for Muzzin. Rather have Grundstrom for sure and probably the first.

I don't know if it's the players or Babcock but the "how to beat good teams" message seems to be lost. If there is a first round loss, maybe Babcock should be fired. Yeah, he probably won't be fired....but maybe he should.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Confirmed now so if ref calls delay of game for moving posts on a shot on net in last 2 minutes of a game then it is an automatic penalty shot because the team can't serve the full 2 minutes. There can be no 2 minute minor served. There is no ref interpretation. He either calls the delay or not. That is his only option. So the ref MUST be 100% clear the goalie did it intentionally. There is no ability to challenge that call. So the REF clearly was not sure the goalie did it on purpose. Imagine had he called it. Any Leaf on the ice could have taken the shot. That would have been a hellava ending.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Time after time I see the Leafs players trying to stick check or are fishing around for pucks when they are at their feet engaged in their own zone along the boards.
The better play would be to ignore the puck and knock down the opponent with a check first and then worry about the puck.
Throw a check...period.
I see literally a hundred missed opportunities for the Leafs to throw checks every game.
If the opposition knows that a check may be coming they will grip their sticks tighter and will get rid of the puck a little quicker leading to poor decisions and turnovers.
When playing against the Leafs they know they don't need to worry about being hit and are able to take that extra time and execute at a high level.
On average they are the same size, or bigger, than most other teams in the League and although they may want to see themselves (and they are) as a skill team that will only carry them so far.
Tampa sees themselves the same way yet fore-checked, hit and cycled the Leafs into submission.
They'll never be L.A. or Washington but they should be able to match Tampa's physicality.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Which leads us to the only statistic about Nylander that matters: Since Dec. 6 until now the Leafs record places them 10th in the eastern conference - not good enough to be in the playoffs (quoted from Toronto sports radio this morning).

This is a textbook example of correlation not equalling causation.

Reactions: Kurtz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Confirmed now so if ref calls delay of game for moving posts on a shot on net in last 2 minutes of a game then it is an automatic penalty shot because the team can't serve the full 2 minutes. There can be no 2 minute minor served. There is no ref interpretation. He either calls the delay or not. That is his only option. So the ref MUST be 100% clear the goalie did it intentionally. There is no ability to challenge that call. So the REF clearly was not sure the goalie did it on purpose. Imagine had he called it. Any Leaf on the ice could have taken the shot. That would have been a hellava ending.

No other player caused Delia to move the post. Rule should be if goalie moves it off without opponent's help it should be a penalty (penalty shot if < 2 minutes remaining in the game). Do not leave it up to the ref to determine whether it was done on purpose or by accident. Similar to puck over the glass rule.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
if there is no interpretation, then intent does not enter the equation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->