Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Seen some confusion here about the slide rule and the 50-man limit, so let me clear that up. The 50-man limit is introduced in Article 1 of the CBA ("SPC" is "Standard Player's Contract"):

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit. Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by the Commissioner.
and Juniors is defined as follows:
"Major Juniors" or "Juniors" means the Canadian Hockey League, including the Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

This means that Liljegren will count against the 50-man limit unless he is loaned to Niagara.

The "Slide Rule", which can prolong the ELC, is described in Article 9.1 (d):
(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

His contract will "slide" if he doesn't play at least 10 NHL games. This has nothing to do with the 50-man limit.

So, most likely, his contract will slide, but still count against the 50-man limit.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Seen some confusion here about the slide rule and the 50-man limit, so let me clear that up. The 50-man limit is introduced in Article 1 of the CBA ("SPC" is "Standard Player's Contract"):

This means that Liljegren will count against the 50-man limit unless he is loaned to Niagara.

His contract will "slide" if he doesn't play at least 10 NHL games. This has nothing to do with the 50-man limit.

So, most likely, his contract will slide, but still count against the 50-man limit.

Thanks. I was looking for this and couldn't find it but was too dumb to look in the Articles. I knew it was in there somewhere.

Don't quote me on this, but I also believe that QO'd count against the limit as well until they've been declined. So Brown's QO would count against the limit to put us at 50 up until the point he declined it. I'd imagine he already has but that's info I don't believe we're privy to with RFA's normally. This is because if they signed 50 other contracts, then an accepted QO would put it at 51 which isn't allowed so they have to leave that room until it's been declined.

This wouldn't matter because we'd likely be leaving a contract spot for Brown anyway, and he's already likely declined it. But just something to note.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
This wouldn't matter because we'd likely be leaving a contract spot for Brown anyway, and he's already likely declined it. But just something to note.

A qualifying offer can't be "declined" per se, it just expires on July 15th if the player hasn't accepted it before.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think Niagara is the best place for him to develop :sarcasm:

The escarpment is lovely this time of year! And the wine is magnificent!!

I hope they play him with the Marlies. We have one, if not the best development team in hockey. Let's turn this kid into a stud!!!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The escarpment is lovely this time of year! And the wine is magnificent!!

I hope they play him with the Marlies. We have one, if not the best development team in hockey. Let's turn this kid into a stud!!!

That's probably where hes going to end up
Third pair with plenty of PP time maybe? Is there an experienced LD to pair him with though?

He'd probably would have ended up back in Sweden if his team wasn't a **** show
I wonder if we could wrangle it so that he goes back to Sweden but to a better organization

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Without moving Marincin and/or Marchenko, I don't see Liljegren playing for Marlies this season. We have way too many defensemen on Marlies that needs ToI and I don't see how they can justify taking ToI from any of those Marlies D and give it to Liljegren. I think if he can get similar role to what Nylader got when he went back to SHL, it will be ideal for his development.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I would watch a lot more Marlies games this year if Liljegren is playing for them :)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So much earlier than Matthews :laugh:.

Just means that he can come play for the Marlies I believe. Doesn't mean he's going to.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Will get a look in camp for Leafs like I said. Mature body, good player, gotta see if he can think at NHL pace.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is very exciting.
It's all coming together.
Welcome aboard Lily!

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Probably going to be like Nylander's development path. Back to Sweden and if it gets bad they'll pull him out of there then put him on the Marlies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

see this is what i thought, when i was talking to superdave but i didnt know it still counted if he went to sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad