Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Great news. Can't wait to get him back on the ice for real. I haven't been this excited about a defensive prospect since Rielly.

member 262271

Hoping he's Marlies-bound but thats due to my own selfish reasons. I'm sure management will do whats best for his trajectory.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
lol so much faster than Matthews :laugh: I guess he must have impressed at the development camp some what

good stuff. Officially welcome aboard Timmy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
lou must still be dumbfounded that he got one of the best talents in the draft at 17.

timmy will look good on the leafs this year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lou must still be dumbfounded that he got one of the best talents in the draft at 17.

God, I'd die if Liljegren made it. Don't think so though. He'd have to have a great camp.

Though a Hainsey-Liljegren bottom pairing would be awesome :laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
800214050-2017-nhl-draft-round-one.jpg-850x560.jpg

everytime i look at this picture i just laugh. everyone is looking at the camera Lou is thinking - that hair has gotta go....

:laugh:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
800214050-2017-nhl-draft-round-one.jpg-850x560.jpg

everytime i look at this picture i just laugh. everyone is looking at the camera Lou is thinking - that hair has gotta go....

:laugh:

Kid on the right looks like a young Dylan Strome.

For my own selfish reasons as the poster above has stated, I want him to play for the Marlies. However, the amount of dangerous plays in the AHL worries me. However #2, I don't know if I like the idea of him player for a poorly managed or poorly assembled swedish team. The Leafs will make the right decision though, so I' not the least bit concerned.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

If he tears up the AHL this season... he could be a nice option to have for a playoff push. If there are injuries, I'll take my chances with him over someone like Marincin.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
What a confident young guy, that's like a lil G talking at times. I mean he already mentioning Karlsson type of player/play and dirt. That's some real confidense right thurr. That's special type of mind and might be exploding on all of y'all. Other teams are really, really jelious of us and our rich team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kid on the right looks like a young Dylan Strome.

For my own selfish reasons as the poster above has stated, I want him to play for the Marlies. However, the amount of dangerous plays in the AHL worries me. However #2, I don't know if I like the idea of him player for a poorly managed or poorly assembled swedish team. The Leafs will make the right decision though, so I' not the least bit concerned.

Leafs offered him ELC quite early; so my guess is he must have impressed the Leafs brass.

Although, I am also quite concerned with the dangerous plays by the "plugs" in the AHL I think with the league taking even stronger actions and with league moving towards more skilled players instead of goons chances of that happening are relatively less than in prior years.

my hope is he plays in AHL and gets used to thinking the game on a north american ice surface so that he doesn't struggle like Zaitsev did; because as a D-man you gotta make the decisions much faster on north american ice; plus the kind of support staff we have that is: strength and fitness coaches; nutritionists, healthy lifestyle coaches; skating coaches; NHL vet presence (Greening, Robidas); sports science etc....with marlies incorporating Babs' coaching systems

I think it is a strong win-win scenario if Liljegren stays with the Marlies and develops here; get used to the north american nuances etc...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's probably where hes going to end up
Third pair with plenty of PP time maybe? Is there an experienced LD to pair him with though?

He'd probably would have ended up back in Sweden if his team wasn't a **** show
I wonder if we could wrangle it so that he goes back to Sweden but to a better organization

I guess it would depend on who if any make it out of camp and who Dubas brings in. Kid has played pro already so i have a bit of confidence that he will adjust well.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
i'm pretty sure it slides because of his age and if he stays in the ahl.

It happened with nylander and also kapanen. Their contracts did not count as they were in the ahl and under 20. It only counts if they play over 10 nhl games.

Same thing applies to him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
there's an easy solution to keeping him away from the AHL goons.

play him in the NHL.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...p-liljegren-and-clear-path-to-brown-deal.html

"We saw exactly what we thought we would," Lamoriello said of Liljegren, drafted 17th overall last month. "He's an outstanding skater, great poise."

The Leafs signed the defenceman to a three-year, entry-level contract on Wednesday with an average annual salary of $925,000 (all dollars U.S.) in the NHL and $70,000 in the AHL. There are also player bonuses worth a maximum of $400,000.

"We'll make a decision as far as what his future is in a short period of time," said Lamoriello. "He'll do one of two things: He'll go back to Europe to play, or he'll play with the Marlies. He will not go to junior."

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't really get the obsession with having him play on the Marlies. I think it's an appealing option but would personally prefer the SHL route for next season.

He needs to get his confidence back and find a consistently elite level of offence; the open ice, finesse game of the SHL will enable that. Bringing him in to Keefe's system right away, after a turbulent season could handcuff his offensive ceiling, in my opinion. Give him one year in Sweden, where he can be the go-to offensive force with Rogle, or hopefully a better team, and let him come over the North America a year later with more confidence, added strength, and some momentum to his overall progression.

Not sure if it's his equipment, but he looks much smaller physique wise in this dev. camp than in previous footage i've seen of him at the u18s and what not. The AHL is not a fun league for smaller skilled players.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'll say it.

In camp he looked very good. May make the big club.

Just sayin'

I don't think he'll make the big club regardless of how good he looks, management has no reason to rush him in. Then again, I was one of the skeptics that wasn't sure where Marner was going to play at this point last year.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I don't really get the obsession with having him play on the Marlies. I think it's an appealing option but would personally prefer the SHL route for next season.

He needs to get his confidence back and find a consistently elite level of offence; the open ice, finesse game of the SHL will enable that. Bringing him in to Keefe's system right away, after a turbulent season could handcuff his offensive ceiling, in my opinion. Give him one year in Sweden, where he can be the go-to offensive force with Rogle, or hopefully a better team, and let him come over the North America a year later with more confidence, added strength, and some momentum to his overall progression.

Not sure if it's his equipment, but he looks much smaller physique wise in this dev. camp than in previous footage i've seen of him at the u18s and what not. The AHL is not a fun league for smaller skilled players.

I think the obsession is that people can watch him play more. I hope he plays on the marlies for this reason as well.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He needs to get his confidence back and find a consistently elite level of offence; the open ice, finesse game of the SHL will enable that.

Why would the SHL be the place for that? It is a very low scoring league. Karlsson went from 0.22 PPG in the SHL in 2009 to 0.44 PPG in the NHL the following year (and almost a PPG during his games in the AHL). Hampus Lindholm didn't play in the SHL during his draft year, but he had a higher PPG during his D+1 in the AHL than he did during his D year in the Allsvenskan league.

To me, if you want him to get his confidence back (I think it already is) and find a consistently elite level of offence then I would put him in the AHL and have him play in some international tournaments where he will put up big numbers. The Leafs have Rosen and Borgman, both of whom will likely play with Marlies. Seems like the perfect location for him rather than going back to the Rogle trainwreck.

Some people say that he would be better off living in the comfort of being "back home". I say nonsense. He is 18 years old and wants to play in the NHL. Not some 12-year-old who needs a night light. And any statements that he made before he signed the ELC about wanting to play another year in the SHL are meaningless. That was the only thing he could say when asked as he was under contract to play there and the Leafs had not yet signed him. What did people expect him to say in public? "I can't wait to get the f' out of Rogle." What would he do then if the Leafs didn't sign him, and instead wanted him to go back to the SHL?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Would like to see Timmy with the Marlies just so i could get to watch him but at the same time would like to have the guys we have on the Marlies such as Dermott, Nielsen, Borgman, Rosen getting good minutes to develop. But at the same time would not like to have him playing for a poorly run team in the SHL like Nylander did

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Why would the SHL be the place for that? It is a very low scoring league. Karlsson went from 0.22 PPG in the SHL in 2009 to 0.44 PPG in the NHL the following year (and almost a PPG during his games in the AHL). Hampus Lindholm didn't play in the SHL during his draft year, but he had a higher PPG during his D+1 in the AHL than he did during his D year in the Allsvenskan league.

To me, if you want him to get his confidence back (I think it already is) and find a consistently elite level of offence then I would put him in the AHL and have him play in some international tournaments where he will put up big numbers. The Leafs have Rosen and Borgman, both of whom will likely play with Marlies. Seems like the perfect location for him rather than going back to the Rogle trainwreck.

Some people say that he would be better off living in the comfort of being "back home". I say nonsense. He is 18 years old and wants to play in the NHL. Not some 12-year-old who needs a night light. And any statements that he made before he signed the ELC about wanting to play another year in the SHL are meaningless. That was the only thing he could say when asked as he was under contract to play there and the Leafs had not yet signed him. What did people expect him to say in public? "I can't wait to get the f' out of Rogle." What would he do then if the Leafs didn't sign him, and instead wanted him to go back to the SHL?
It's less about point production and more about him realizing his strengths, which I feel he will be better able to do with more room on the bigger ice in a less physical league. He will have much less room to wheel in the AHL and will have to learn a totally new system that favours less creative, safer hockey. I don't think he's ready for that yet after his draft year. Also, Lindholm was a blue-chip prospect with a much thicker build at the same age who played a very complete game suited for AHL hockey.

For me, he's at least 2 years away from NHL exposure. Give Liljegren a year back home to add weight, get stronger, and realize his speed/skill on the bigger ice before having him make the switch in 2018-19. Like I said before though, I don't think the AHL is a bad option, I just prefer the SHL route at this point.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People need to seriously chill out with the NHL talk, leave the kid alone to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad