Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So the Nylander treatment or straight to the Marlies.

Good.
Can't see him getting switched mid-year like Willy. The biggest thing Liljegren needs to work on is perfecting and refining his defensive positioning, I can't see how switching ice-surfaces mid-year would be a positive for that. One thing for short tournaments against his age (like this year's WJC in Buffalo), another when playing against men. Nylander also was also pretty much raised in North America, and the switch isn't as hard on forwards.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
ok, so if we are at 50 contracts throughout the organization and he earns a call up what happens? we cant call him up? if we can then it means we now have 51 contracts (unless he only get 9 games of course).

Ill take your word for it seems strange though

Pretty much. If we're at 50 and his 10th NHL game they will have to trade someone away essentially.

But I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. It's so minor. Even if it counted right away, it's literally the furthest thing to worry about.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No it still slides. Again, it literally just happened with Nylander and Kapanen.

The contract starts to count in the limit as soon as he plays his 10th NHL game, or if he turns 20 before the new year of the season -- which is why it affects UFA status as well.

Either way, to be honest, it really doesn't matter that much.
Nylander's contract didn't slide twice (it could have) but he played over 9 games. The notable thing is, he didn't earn a year towards UFA but he still burnt a year on the contract.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well makes sense to get him signed. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be on the Marlies, but I guess this makes it a possibility.

In the end, good for him. One more noteworthy moment on the road to making it to the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well makes sense to get him signed. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be on the Marlies, but I guess this makes it a possibility.

In the end, good for him. One more noteworthy moment on the road to making it to the NHL.

yeah it also gives us some control over his situation in Sweden, like confirming he will be given a fair chance at ice time ETC.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

edit: I personally would like to see him on the Marlies however I would understand if they send him back to Sweeden. The kid is young and has publicly said he wants to go back home. So let him, spend one more year at home and let him prepare mentally and physically to playing in Toronto

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Not surprising in itself, but I'm pleasantly surprised we've signed him this early. Must mean that he's really impressed at development camp. I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Marlies next year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nylander's contract didn't slide twice (it could have) but he played over 9 games. The notable thing is, he didn't earn a year towards UFA but he still burnt a year on the contract.

I did say that if you play over 9 games it doesn't slide anymore. :laugh:

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I guess he's probably heading to the Marlies? Seems like a waste of a contract slot if he was going back to Sweden for the year.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Can't see him getting switched mid-year like Willy. The biggest thing Liljegren needs to work on is perfecting and refining his defensive positioning, I can't see how switching ice-surfaces mid-year would be a positive for that. One thing for short tournaments against his age (like this year's WJC in Buffalo), another when playing against men. Nylander also was also pretty much raised in North America, and the switch isn't as hard on forwards.

The switch still happened for Nylander because they noticed some bad habits that result from the larger ice. Large sweeping turns and more coasting than they wanted to see, mainly.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The switch still happened for Nylander because they noticed some bad habits that result from the larger ice. Large sweeping turns and more coasting than they wanted to see, mainly.

I thought it was because MODO were a **** show, they were firing coaches and cutting his ice time

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

edit: I personally would like to see him on the Marlies however I would understand if they send him back to Sweeden. The kid is young and has publicly said he wants to go back home. So let him, spend one more year at home and let him prepare mentally and physically to playing in Toronto

I don't think he said he wants to. I think he said, he thought he probably had to. I'm sure he'd be just fine with Shannyco keeping him in Toronto.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like this makes it more likely he plays with the Marlies. Not a certainty obviously, but if he was going back to Sweden this wouldn't have been necessary so the fact they made sure it get it down bodes well I think for him playing with the Marlies

As far as the does it count against the 50 debate. If he plays in the AHL I think it does. The contract still slides if he doesn't play 10 NHL games, but I feel fairly confident it still counts against the 50 limit, which would make Brown's contract #50 when it gets done. But will double check the CBA to see if I can find the exert.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I thought it was because MODO were a **** show, they were firing coaches and cutting his ice time

He was the best player on the team. he played 21 games and finished with 20 points, the leading scorer on the team played 51 games and finished with 25 points. MODO did suck lol

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
He was the best player on the team. he played 21 games and finished with 20 points, the leading scorer on the team played 51 games and finished with 25 points

And, for what it's worth, I don't believe he finished the 21st game (minor injury).

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Congrats Timothy!

This team will be careful to not rush him. When he is ready to dominate he will play for the Leafs. It will be nice to watch.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I feel like this makes it more likely he plays with the Marlies. Not a certainty obviously, but if he was going back to Sweden this wouldn't have been necessary so the fact they made sure it get it down bodes well I think for him playing with the Marlies

As far as the does it count against the 50 debate. If he plays in the AHL I think it does. The contract still slides if he doesn't play 10 NHL games, but I feel fairly confident it still counts against the 50 limit, which would make Brown's contract #50 when it gets done. But will double check the CBA to see if I can find the exert.

For some reason I remember someone saying (around the time of Dale Mitchell and Stefanovich yuk) that ELC SL's dont count towards the 50 contract limit until they play 10 games.

Either that, or once a player is assinged to the minors it slides off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad