Speculation: Offseason Roster Moves

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I would be fine with Stephenson and Marchessault going and the team has to be also.

GMs make mistakes when they swing back to one guy because another guy is priced out so they spend more money on the other guy.

If they are priced out of Marchessault (it might not be a bad move to let him go, we've probably seen his best 2-3 regular seasons and best 2-3 postseasons already and if he wants 7 million he might quickly not be worth that) but if they shift back to Stephenson and offer him more that's dumb.

Stephenson has one weapon, speed, and that will go down quite early into this deal and if they are offering him 3 million they shouldn't budge on it no matter what happens with Marchessault.

If they both walk and we trade Theodore for a younger winger then we have maybe one top six winger spot and one third line winger spot to fill. We've gone into seasons still needing pieces before and if we have to work free agency to find one of those then the trade deadline it can still work.
I'd also consider that, while Marchessault is probably our only true sniper at this point, his goals are partly a product of playing with Eichel. Marchy at 3x 5.5 and Stephenson at 4 x 4 is about all I'd go, maybe understanding Marchy with a position with VGK after he retires.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kings fan coming in peace. What kind of trades would you want for Hague? Roy? Thompson? Kolesar?

LA can send picks and/or prospects to keep cap down for those guys. LA needs a #3LHD, Right handed wingers with size and grit, plus a cheap goalie. They could possibly take Hill if a 3rd team retains and you guys want to keep Thompson.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just outside of the box a little bit, but does Vegas consider moving on from the Hertl experiment to keep Machessault and company? Boston is desperate for a 1st line C to play with Pastrnak.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Kings fan coming in peace. What kind of trades would you want for Hague? Roy? Thompson? Kolesar?

LA can send picks and/or prospects to keep cap down for those guys. LA needs a #3LHD, Right handed wingers with size and grit, plus a cheap goalie. They could possibly take Hill if a 3rd team retains and you guys want to keep Thompson.

I think the likelihood is that the more efficient deals which Kolesar & Hague are on make them the sort of known quantities the Knights would prefer keeping.

As for Roy, that could be even more extreme….he’s been effective across the board or in pinches up and down the roster, and if Hertl is considered to be the #2C moving forward, a healthy VGK roster looks filthy with Eichel/Hertl/Karlsson/Roy.

I don’t want to go full-hyperbole, but those 4 when healthy make one of the most well-rounded center quartets in the league.

Thompson’s contract is part of what makes Vegas’ cap maneuvering possible……I don’t want to give up on Hill so fast, but we know Vegas won’t hesitate to go all “Depeche Mode.”

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Just outside of the box a little bit, but does Vegas consider moving on from the Hertl experiment to keep Machessault and company? Boston is desperate for a 1st line C to play with Pastrnak.

No. Hertl waived his NMC specifically for Vegas. They aren't changing their minds based off such a small sample size. Stephenson is likely gone so they also need him to keep their center depth as it is.

Keeping Marchie isn't difficult cap wise. All they really need to do is move a cheaper contract like Whitecloud/Hague/Howden. Though it may be more prudent to move Theodore since they may not want to pay him next year anyways.

You can have Kolesar for a 7th. The rest I would have no desire sending in division.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

Doubtful they make such a quick about-face after he waived a NTC & the Knights gave up Edstrom for the guy.

While I don’t know how Vegas “runs back” Barby/Eichel/Marchy - Dorofeyev(?)/Hertl/Stone, but I’m pretty confident they’ll find a way. Likely moving Theodore for someone who can fill a similar role.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
You can have Kolesar for a 7th. The rest I would have no desire sending in division.

1715450888762.png

I don’t want to give up on “he who trucked Tkachuk” yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least not before having an idea what player would work as nicely with Carrier & Roy and would be taking his place. I think he’s good for the “glue” here.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
View attachment 868962

I don’t want to give up on “he who trucked Tkachuk” yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least not before having an idea what player would work as nicely with Carrier & Roy and would be taking his place. I think he’s good for the “glue” here.

Carrier is likely gone anyways. Kolesar is nothing special at all as a player, though I can tell he's liked in the room. Roy drives that line. Notice how whenever Roy was moved up in the lineup the 4th line became useless?

Reactions: WhataKnight

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Carrier is likely gone anyways. Kolesar is nothing special at all as a player, though I can tell he's liked in the room. Roy drives that line. Notice how whenever Roy was moved up in the lineup the 4th line became useless?

I’d say “markedly inferior when compared to having Roy centering it” as opposed to “useless.” Physically, they still “did the things”, albeit with about 1/3rd the ability to implement “the things” in a more offensive, forechecking approach - and that is a sizable downgrade given the removal of only one guy - admittedly.

Part of this is me not wanting to see Marchessault, Theodore and Kolesar all go in the same offseason. My thinking is that out of the three, the one that stings the least to lose is also the least likely to have priced himself off the team (Kolesar), while moving the most strategic one for adequate return (Theodore) could yield a scenario where they have a better shot to keep the most important one (Marchessault.)

I’d also say that while playing a heavy style for a reliable 90% of a team’s games played across three seasons isn’t expressly special, we have a lot of guys on the team who can’t. Unless an in-prime, lock-for-20-goal-season Cal Clutterbuck-type makes themselves available to the Knights, I’m happy with the known quantity.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I mean i am not sure that Hertl will stay with Vegas for the rest of his contract, but i think i am very sure that he won't be traded the offseason immediately after just trading a 1st round pick and a good prospect for him.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Would Karlsson become available if you guys keep Marchy/Stephenson?

The Blues need a 2C that can move down to 3C when Dvorsky is ready for top 6 minutes in the next couple years.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Would Karlsson become available if you guys keep Marchy/Stephenson?

The Blues need a 2C that can move down to 3C when Dvorsky is ready for top 6 minutes in the next couple years.

Sure as hell hope not. Karlsson is the most important Knight that doesn't have an NMC. Way better player than Stephenson. Choosing to sign him and move Bill would be a an all time bad move.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Fair enough! He’s someone that we’ve talked about on the Blues board, because we assumed you’d guys like to keep Stephenson and Marchy, but I don’t blame you guys for not wanting to deal him at all haha.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Fair enough! He’s someone that we’ve talked about on the Blues board, because we assumed you’d guys like to keep Stephenson and Marchy, but I don’t blame you guys for not wanting to deal him at all haha.
Marchy would be nice to keep if the contracts reasonable. You can have Stephenson for a stick of gum, give first shot at resigning him :laugh:

Reactions: WhataKnight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Expiring contracts:
Goalies: RFA 1: Saville. UFA 6: Patera. UFA: Papirny

Defense: RFA 2: Ahac. UFA: Martinez; Carroll, Hickey, Tischke

Forwards: RFA: Dorofyev, Morozov*, Primeau. UFA: Amadio, Carrier, Froese, Mantha, Marchessault, Rempal, Stephenson; Benson, Boudens, Cracknell, D'Amato, Guay, Swetlikoff

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As for AHL.... 2D and 2F signed (AHL deals),

NHL deals: 11+10F, 7+5D, 2+2G (plus Lehner)

So probably looking for 5 more (NHL/AHL) contracts minimum.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think Necas might be the type of candidate I was thinking about in a Theodore trade.
He's very talented but very inconsistent. He's big, fast and skilled, but his production is only so-so.

Question to me is "will Theodore take a hometown discount to stay in Vegas next year?" Tougher to find PMD's than wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad