Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I don't really get the obsession with having him play on the Marlies. I think it's an appealing option but would personally prefer the SHL route for next season.

He needs to get his confidence back and find a consistently elite level of offence; the open ice, finesse game of the SHL will enable that. Bringing him in to Keefe's system right away, after a turbulent season could handcuff his offensive ceiling, in my opinion. Give him one year in Sweden, where he can be the go-to offensive force with Rogle, or hopefully a better team, and let him come over the North America a year later with more confidence, added strength, and some momentum to his overall progression.

Not sure if it's his equipment, but he looks much smaller physique wise in this dev. camp than in previous footage i've seen of him at the u18s and what not. The AHL is not a fun league for smaller skilled players.

Agreed with all

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Agreed with all

not necessarily. Keefe (and Babcock) have both shown that they will try to instal the defense side first, and then once that's there, they let the reins go. if it's best for his development to spend a year in stable environment - then that's it - not "oh well he may not develop offensively enough. it's there.

and to DarkKnight's point. why should people "chill out." if he has a great camp. he could be considered to make the team. I very much doubt it, but. who knows.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Rushing pmd like Liljegren need bigger ice to develop their playmakimg skills and speed and vision.

Kid needs to work on his defence too.

SHL and out of the TO spotlight it is.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Also, Lindholm was a blue-chip prospect with a much thicker build at the same age who played a very complete game suited for AHL hockey.

Your statements about Lindholm are pure nonsense. Despite the Ducks taking him 6th OA, that was a bit of a shocker at the time as he had been ranked 15th OA in the days before the draft. He was at the time 6'2" and 185 lbs. Size-wise I would far more comfortable with Liljegren playing in the AHL at 6' 192 lbs. Everything you say about Liljegren was said about Lindholm at the time.

"Lindholm can probably be best described as a strong offensively-minded defenseman. He is a good skater and his offensive instincts are paired with an ability to put the puck where it needs to be in the offensive zone. That said, he sometimes struggles in the defensive zone and needs to exhibit more consistency in that area. In addition, while he’s not a tiny hockey player by any stretch, he doesn’t use his physical assets very well in terms of checking and board-work. It’s likely that he’ll put on some muscle before eventually transitioning to North America, but adding size is a bit moot if he doesn’t know how to use it effectively."

"Hampus Lindholm is a very capable offensive defenseman that should go in the first round, perhaps even in the first half of the first round."

"Lindholm is under contract to Rogle for at least one more season, so he’ll stay in Sweden for the 2012-13 season."

"Like most defensive prospects, at best, he’s still a few years away from having any sort of real impact at the NHL level"

Playing in the SHL did nothing for Liljegren's development this past year. I doubt it will be any better with Rogle this coming year, and would just be sending him back to a frustrating situation. The Leafs signed him this quickly for a reason. They want to be in control of his development.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Rushing pmd like Liljegren need bigger ice to develop their playmakimg skills and speed and vision.

Well that confirms it :handclap:.

I do think the most likely result is going back to Sweden for a year. He should be more comfortable. At the same time the question of where he goes is still up in the air. Entirely within reason the Leafs decide to let him work on all that on the Marlies. I'm sure puck moving d-men have developed in NA in the history of the NHL.

With the Leafs actually becoming a good team again....there isn't much of a TO spotlight on the Marlies. More of a spotlight than he would have overseas, but not much of one.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Your statements about Lindholm are pure nonsense. Despite the Ducks taking him 6th OA, that was a bit of a shocker at the time as he had been ranked 15th OA in the days before the draft. He was at the time 6'2" and 185 lbs. Size-wise I would far more comfortable with Liljegren playing in the AHL at 6' 192 lbs. Everything you say about Liljegren was said about Lindholm at the time.

"Lindholm can probably be best described as a strong offensively-minded defenseman. He is a good skater and his offensive instincts are paired with an ability to put the puck where it needs to be in the offensive zone. That said, he sometimes struggles in the defensive zone and needs to exhibit more consistency in that area. In addition, while heÂ’s not a tiny hockey player by any stretch, he doesnÂ’t use his physical assets very well in terms of checking and board-work. ItÂ’s likely that heÂ’ll put on some muscle before eventually transitioning to North America, but adding size is a bit moot if he doesnÂ’t know how to use it effectively."

"Hampus Lindholm is a very capable offensive defenseman that should go in the first round, perhaps even in the first half of the first round."

"Lindholm is under contract to Rogle for at least one more season, so heÂ’ll stay in Sweden for the 2012-13 season."

"Like most defensive prospects, at best, heÂ’s still a few years away from having any sort of real impact at the NHL level"

Playing in the SHL did nothing for Liljegren's development this past year. I doubt it will be any better with Rogle this coming year, and would just be sending him back to a frustrating situation. The Leafs signed him this quickly for a reason. They want to be in control of his development.

It's kind of fascinating how quickly Lindholm went from an OFD prospect with questionable defense to being one of the league's best defensive defenders. Probably one of the best in the league at defending against zone entries.

As for Liljegren, I'm leaning towards a season in the AHL. There should be a spot available, and it feels like the best way for us to control his development while providing a stable environment.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm going to say it right now, his offensive levels are already at a NHL level. It's the potential of turn-overs and lack of defensive-awareness you have to worry about. Honestly, I think he gets a look at the NHL level. Giving him 9 games is like a $100,000 handshake to stay in North America. I think you can look at ice-times to see who Babcock liked or not. There's two positions that are available. I think anything is possible, including Liljegren. Doors could be opening for some, closing for others real fast.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
I'm going to say it right now, his offensive levels are already at a NHL level. It's the potential of turn-overs and lack of defensive-awareness you have to worry about. Honestly, I think he gets a look at the NHL level. Giving him 9 games is like a $100,000 handshake to stay in North America. I think you can look at ice-times to see who Babcock liked or not. There's two positions that are available. I think anything is possible, including Liljegren. Doors could be opening for some, closing for others real fast.

I agree. He obviously needs another year either AHL or Sweden but his offense is prob up to par or better than Rielly and Gardiner already. Give him 9 games and send him where you think best.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

It's a good thing there are no North American rushing defencemen, eh.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
So much earlier than Matthews :laugh:.

Just means that he can come play for the Marlies I believe. Doesn't mean he's going to.

I'd watch more too. May not be best for his development though. Last season he was tossed around, if that's a possibility again I can see them putting him in the AHL.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I don't know how much truth there is to that. North America churns out plenty of great PMDs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't know how much truth there is to that. North America churns out plenty of great PMDs.

Yeah. This is by no means something I've put a lot of thought/research into, but my feeling is that there's not as much advantage to more ice in terms of skating as many seem to think. Teams tend to defend by giving you that open ice in areas where you are too far away to do much with it. I'd say the biggest difference is that NA rinks favor explosiveness, EU rinks favor high-speed agility.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

What? Lol

:help:

Seriously think that one over.

1) Vision and IQ isnt just developed. You can teach a lower IQ player how to play within a system but what seperates the elite apart in this regard isnt dependant on ice surface.

2) One could even argue that coming over to American Ice Surface earlier would be more beneficial to adjusting his rushing and playmaking abilities to the style hes going to be required to play. I can speak to the simple fact going from the AHL to NHL is a significant difference in space and timing, and then there is that of the bigger ice surface that is a completely different aspect.

Ive always been a fan of European kids coming over earlier and adjusting to the smaller rinks like Nylander had, just simply because its a shock pretty quickly for them to discover that their time and space is gone significantly quicker and it is an adjustment.

Last edited:

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
The Leafs obviously just drafted this guy so why wouldn't he play in Toronto, why would we let him play in Sweden?

I'm new to the NHL so sorry for a stupid question.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Don't get your hopes up guys, per some Quality HFPosters, Liljegren is just our trade bait for coveted defenseman Sami Vatanen.

lol.

The Leafs obviously just drafted this guy so why wouldn't he play in Toronto, why would we let him play in Sweden?

I'm new to the NHL so sorry for a stupid question.

Newly drafted players typically spend time in their home club's system before making the jump to the NHL. Players drafted from the Canadian junior leagues will usually spend 1-3 years there before moving on, Swedes anywhere from 1-4 years in Sweden, Russians and the KHL, etc.

Welcome aboard!

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Don't get your hopes up guys, per some Quality HFPosters, Liljegren is just our trade bait for coveted defenseman Sami Vatanen.

lol.

Newly drafted players typically spend time in their home club's system before making the jump to the NHL. Players drafted from the Canadian junior leagues will usually spend 1-3 years there before moving on, Swedes anywhere from 1-4 years in Sweden, Russians and the KHL, etc.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the info - so certain Canadians may play in the OHL before AHL even after being drafted?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Thank you for the info - so certain Canadians may play in the OHL before AHL even after being drafted?

Exactly right. The two leagues have an agreement in which players drafted out of the Canadian junior leagues actually can't play in the AHL until they're 20 years old or have played 4 seasons of junior. Notably this doesn't apply to players of European nationality drafted out of Canadian junior leagues (these players are frequently considered "loaned" by their home European club), which is why, for example, Buffalo's pick 2016 Alex Nylander was able to play in the AHL as an 18/19 year old last year, even though he was drafted from Mississauga's junior team.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think the Leafs brass didn't or doesn't like the idea of Liljegren playing for multiple teams last night. It's hard to get adjusted to a team, settings, systems and I don't think he had enough to do that

Leafs wants to let him play for one team, get used to the system and settle down. I fully think Leafs management want him to play for the Marlies

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Our Canadian kids never feel any less developed from the smaller ice surface. No hockey player needs bigger ice to develop. Especially when they want to play in the NHL.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
He is getting a legit crack at the Leafs and may make it.

Anything is possible, but I would put my money on him not making the team. Perhaps he gets a taste (under 10 games) at the start of the season.

I'd rather have him on the Marlies. Don't see the value in him returning to the SHL to play on a bad team. Rather he play with the Marlies and have access to top facilities and closer to organizational eyes to keep an eye on his progress.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our Canadian kids never feel any less developed from the smaller ice surface. No hockey player needs bigger ice to develop. Especially when they want to play in the NHL.

They are generally all good athletes. Usually they just need to show they thibk the game at a higher level and have an adequate package incl. Speed shot etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad