Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Peter Holland to a 1 year 1.3M contract

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Good signing.

But I wonder if the fact that 1 he signed only for 1 year and 2 opted for less than 50% of what he would have gotten in arbitration means he was promised a spot in the Leafs lineup....

If he lost his arbitration case he would have got less.

He was never winning his case after clearing waivers.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
This guy has flip at the deadline for picks written all over him if not sooner. Hope he goes best mode this season.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Good signing.

But I wonder if the fact that 1 he signed only for 1 year and 2 opted for less than 50% of what he would have gotten in arbitration means he was promised a spot in the Leafs lineup....

I doubt he would have got 2.6M+ in arbitration, he asked for 2.1M

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he lost his arbitration case he would have got less.

He was never winning his case after clearing waivers.

No guarantee he would have gotten less.

His side had a decent arbitration case - where stats play the biggest factor in the outcome. He probably could have grabbed 1.3-1.5 if he had gone through with it.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
No guarantee he would have gotten less.

His side had a decent arbitration case - where stats play the biggest factor in the outcome. He probably could have grabbed 1.3-1.5 if he had gone through with it.

Makes a lot of sense then to take the $1.3 without a hearing where you could have ended up under $1mil if the worst happened.

He was never getting above $2mil.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You said he accepted less than 50% of what he would have gotten in arbitration though.

I mis-typed.

Either way I'd wager he's in the Leafs lineup come opening night.

If he though he was going to the Marlies he would have gone to arbitration. There's little reason to think he would have gotten much less than 1.3, especially considering he was on a 34 point pace this past season.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I mis-typed.

Either way I'd wager he's in the Leafs lineup come opening night.

If he though he was going to the Marlies he would have gone to arbitration. There's little reason to think he would have gotten much less than 1.3, especially considering he was on a 34 point pace this past season.

I hope they wouldn't promise a player a spot on the roster, especially if it was to save a couple hundred thousand.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hope they wouldn't promise a player a spot on the roster, especially if it was to save a couple hundred thousand.

I suspect some vets like Laich, Lupul, ect won't be Leafs or at least dressed to play in October.

More open spots than many assume.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe.

I'm just brainstorming out loud why he chose to avoid arbitration- but I still feel Leafs will have him in the lineup ahead of some others.

I don't understand how it's not obvious. 1.3 is a pretty fair salary. I guess he felt going to arbitration to try to get more wasn't worth the risk of getting less.

IMO he wasn't likely to get much more than this at all.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's a one year, 1.3 mil/ deal.

Holland can still be a quality useful player with size.

Our cap will get figured out, I just don't see much wrong with it.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Blech. Could've made due without him. I think we've got guys that could've taken his roster spot just fine.

As soon as they decided to give him a qualifying offer, he was getting a contract. Either awarded one through arbitration, or a settlement prior to the hearing.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I wish we could have just moved on. There are too many bodies right now and IMO he has not taken his game to the next level. If we can trade him for a 3rd then I am happy

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
His agents apparently do not agree or they wouldn't have accepted that figure.

Placing him on waivers was a very smart move.

Most cases settle prior to hearing.

He got a raise more than the leafs were originally offering on the QO which is the entire point of exercising your arbitration rights.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Lou Lam's brilliant waiving tactic turned a $2.1 mil ask into a $1.3 mil settlement saving the Leafs $800k.

No interest from any team all but destroyed Holland's bargaining power.

However his signing means 1 less roster spot for a young player as I doubt Leafs want to pay Holland that amount to play on the Marlies.

What are you going in about?

Him on waivers would have been inadmissible in a hearing.

He probably wanted around 1.5m, settled on 1.3m..like arbitration cases being settled in between the two values isn't common..:shakehead

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
What are you going in about?

Him on waivers would have been inadmissible in a hearing.

He probably wanted around 1.5m, settled on 1.3m..like arbitration cases being settled in between the two values isn't common..:shakehead

Neither is getting waived a few days before the hearing.

Getting stuck with a deal you don't want and can't walk away from would have been bad.

Perhaps waiving him helped break the ice that led to the avoiding of the hearing. Crazy concept, I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad