Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Peter Holland to a 1 year 1.3M contract

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So now we have Holland, Laich, Martin, Greening, Lupul, Michalek potentially filling out our bottom 6 of the roster.

With JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Komarov as automatics to fill out 4 of 6 top 6 spots that leaves 2 spots for rookies one of which will be Matthews.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So now we have Holland, Laich, Martin, Greening, Lupul, Michalek potentially filling out our bottom 6 of the roster.

With JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Komarov as automatics to fill out 4 of 6 top 6 spots that leaves 2 spots for rookies one of which will be Matthews.

Matthews will start on the 3rd line with Nylander on the RW to start as per Babcock.

Only question really is how long will that last? I could see Matthews moving up the line up quickly.

I could also see him having some slow stretches just because this will represent more games played then he typically has played in a season previously, taking into account World Cup, pre-season games and 82 regular season games.

Mad Brills*

One of holland/greening/laich/michalek will be traded or sent to the marlies.

Marner I think is close to a lock barring an awful camp.

Any waiver exempt kids not name sosh/hyman will be sent down to start barring a trade.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Lou Lam's brilliant waiving tactic turned a $2.1 mil ask into a $1.3 mil settlement saving the Leafs $800k.

No interest from any team all but destroyed Holland's bargaining power.

However his signing means 1 less roster spot for a young player as I doubt Leafs want to pay Holland that amount to play on the Marlies.

Considering the Leafs track record of front loading contracts (Kessel, Phanuef, Bernier, etc.), dealing players right after they receive their signing bonus (Bernier), taking on cap dumps to gain assets (Laich), buying out players (Grabo, Gleason), paying AHLers - NHL wages so they'll sign with us (Brennan + Arcobello) sending Holland down to the AHL definitely won't be a real dollars financial decision.

Mr Hockey*

One of holland/greening/laich/michalek will be traded or sent to the marlies.

Marner I think is close to a lock barring an awful camp.

Any waiver exempt kids not name sosh/hyman will be sent down to start barring a trade.

The waiver eligible are Levio,corrado,carrick.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't want to use LTIR, so you don't get hit wit bonuses.

http://theleafsnation.com/2016/5/7/...and-the-leafs-need-to-be-cautious-in-using-it

Trade a michalek, and you can have horton's dead money on the roster and not worry about it.
LTIR is best utilized by being right at the cap because of the way it is calculated.

I also believe your article is wrong on bonuses. Last I heard, they count as "hit" (mostly to help low cap teams) until the season is over. To help the top spending teams, the NHL allows a 7.5% bonus buffer during the year that teams are allowed to exceed the cap by. Then once the bonuses are known, teams reconcile and may pay overages is that 7.5% pushed them over the cap.

So basically the Leafs want to get exactly to the cap before throwing Horton (or anyone else ) on LTIR since it creates the most space.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Considering the Leafs track record of front loading contracts (Kessel, Phanuef, Bernier, etc.), dealing players right after they receive their signing bonus (Bernier), taking on cap dumps to gain assets (Laich), buying out players (Grabo, Gleason), paying AHLers - NHL wages so they'll sign with us (Brennan + Arcobello) sending Holland down to the AHL definitely won't be a real dollars financial decision.

Exactly. This deal in no way secures Holland's roster spot on cap grounds. If Leivo or whover in the 600-700k range beats him out there's still savings (.65+ (1.30-.9) < 1.3) in sending him down.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

2 Goalies:
Andersen,Backup

8 D:
Rielly,Gardiner,Marincin,Zaitsev,Hunwick,Carrick,Corrado,Polak

13 Forwards:
7 For sure:
JVR,Kadri,Komarov,Bozak,Matthews,Nylander,Martin

4 gotta be somewhere:
Lupul,Greening,Michalek,Laich

2 remaining spots:
Holland,Leivo,Brown,Sosh,Hyman,Marner,Froese,Rychel highest profile

Pick 2. 23 man roster.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Holland and Laich will be competing for the 4th line center role. This doesn't hurt any prospects trying to crack the roster.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Is a couple of fourth round picks too much to ask for Holland @ 1.3?

I'd take that and run so fast your head would spin.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is a couple of fourth round picks too much to ask for Holland @ 1.3?

I'd take that and run so fast your head would spin.

Nobody took Holland for Free when Leafs placed him on waivers a couple days ago so getting multiple picks in any round would seem difficult unless Holland has a breakout year statistically and creates a market for his services that doesn't exist right now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nobody took Holland for Free when Leafs placed him on waivers a couple days ago so getting multiple picks in any round would seem difficult unless Holland has a breakout year statistically and creates a market for his services that doesn't exist right now.

The thing is that he wouldn't have gone at 1.3 million had he been claimed. He would have gone for at least 1.5 mill, and even then the other team would have been lucky.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011

Lupul is injured long term. I think we can infer that Martin and Holland are locks.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Dave Nonis thought Holland was worth multiple picks just a few years ago, so maybe he can convince Murray to have the Ducks trade for him.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
We really need to win that Cowen arbitration case or the cap situation is too tight, we need to move a body.

I'd really love to jettison Holland and maybe 1 other body in a 2 for 1 type deal.
We have over $5 mill in cap space oncr Horton's LTIR is in place. Not at all tight.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Sweet. Glad to see him signed.

I think he'll be great on the PK.

Hope he either plays RW or takes the 4c spot from Laich.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Barring trade(s), I don't see roster space for Marner and I think it's 50:50 whether Holland makes the team out of training camp.

I'm as keen as anyone to see the young guys in the NHL but the fact remains that Marner can play another year in the OHL delaying the start of his ELC for another season. That would actually be beneficial for the Leafs to stagger these player exits from ELCs.

As for Holland, he was going to get a contract after the Leafs qualified him. They probably miscalculated league interest in the player. Holland has to beat out a player like Laich for the 4th line center spot. Holland is at a disadvantage for this role. Babcock didn't trust him at center. I could see the Leafs burying him early in the season then giving an opportunity later in the season to bring his total NHL games up to the number to fulfill expansion exposure obligations.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I still don't think Holland is here by the time the season starts
One or more of Laich, Lupul, Michalek, Greening have to go

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Leafs get the best out of this situation right now. If Holland makes the team then he's not at all expensive. And if they don't want him he's easier to move at that low cap hit or easy to bury in the AHL (not the whole amount I think, but enough).

Get maximum flexibility with him now.

Mad Brills*

Barring trade(s), I don't see roster space for Marner and I think it's 50:50 whether Holland makes the team out of training camp.

I'm as keen as anyone to see the young guys in the NHL but the fact remains that Marner can play another year in the OHL delaying the start of his ELC for another season. That would actually be beneficial for the Leafs to stagger these player exits from ELCs.

As for Holland, he was going to get a contract after the Leafs qualified him. They probably miscalculated league interest in the player. Holland has to beat out a player like Laich for the 4th line center spot. Holland is at a disadvantage for this role. Babcock didn't trust him at center. I could see the Leafs burying him early in the season then giving an opportunity later in the season to bring his total NHL games up to the number to fulfill expansion exposure obligations.

STOP. Marner's making the team, and even if he's scratched a bit, it's better than beating up on inferior kids again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad