Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Peter Holland to a 1 year 1.3M contract

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yes all though I'm not 100% sure on that.

I doubt he will be bought out, there are bigger fish to fry, Cowan or maybe even Lupul.

It will be interesting, especially if the rumours are true and they sign Enroth, something will have to give.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Meh not a huge fan of his. Don't know why, but I think there's just so much more there that he can't unlock and reach.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't see where he fits in. If you think he's a better option than a healthy Michalek, you are gravely mistaken. A healthy Michalek is a quality 2nd line left winger. A healthy Peter Holland is a healthy scratch.

:laugh:

A healthy Lupul would be one of the most talented players on the Leafs.

Do we really care about half the players on the team anyway? Future is Andersen and the under 25's.

Mad Brills*

Unless someone who makes more than 2.4 million is traded, they'll have to use horton on LTIR immediately this year, since 2 RFAs+ a backup will cost a between 3.5 and 4 million.

They have 14 forwards under contract on one way deals unless you don't count lupul, which would be foolish

8 Dmen on one way deals, and presumably 2 goalies.

That's the 23 man roster, but the issue will come with playing time, and will a leivo be benched for a holland etc.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
What? Thought he was dead. Dead and gone.

How in the world does Toronto have room for him?
Toronto has plenty of room for him...the Toronto Marlies, that is.

With all the veterans still on the roster and all the talented kids coming up behind him, I'm sure Holland can see the writing on the wall as well as anyone.

That's why he was determined not to accept a two-way deal. So, when he inevitably gets waived at the end of camp, if he goes unclaimed again, he'll go down to the Marlies as some extra center depth. And as a buried player, $350K out of that $1.3M will count against our cap, which isn't too bad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou Lam's brilliant waiving tactic turned a $2.1 mil ask into a $1.3 mil settlement saving the Leafs $800k.

No interest from any team all but destroyed Holland's bargaining power.

However his signing means 1 less roster spot for a young player as I doubt Leafs want to pay Holland that amount to play on the Marlies.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I've been saying it for a while now, the Leafs will have any of the waivers-exempt players with the Marlies. So that's your Brown's, Leipsic's, etc. Nylander is the exception and Marner will get his cup of coffee. By those 9 games, someone (coughLupulcough) will be injured.

There is also a trade coming. You can just feel it. I don't think it'll quite be the Grabner 5-1 deal, but we could see a guy like Michalek with a guy like Holland heading to Arizona. Maybe an underwhelming prospect is thrown in there too, although we don't have too many of those under contract...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt he will be bought out, there are bigger fish to fry, Cowan or maybe even Lupul.

It will be interesting, especially if the rumours are true and they sign Enroth, something will have to give.

Not him, but players like Lupul, Michalek, Laich, whatever.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I don't even want him on the team - he's not good enough. And we have tons of guys who've jumped ahead of him and too little open spots. Hopefully he's traded before camp for SOMETHING.

Mad Brills*

Just trading a player who makes more than 2.5 million solves the cap crunch for now.

Mr Hockey*

I am guessing he gets traded at the trade deadline? ... If the leafs think he is only worth 1.3, there is no reason to keep him around and take a spot from a kid.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am guessing he gets traded at the trade deadline? ... If the leafs think he is only worth 1.3, there is no reason to keep him around and take a spot from a kid.

You look at the roster and you just know something will happen before the start of the season. So many NHL ready young players that have shown late last season that they are ready for that jump, on top of 2 blue chip prospects entering the lineup.

I'd be shocked if the Leafs don't make at least one roster cutting move before training camp.

Mad Brills*

Any kid that is waiver eligible is likely going down, save sosh/hyman barring a trade. Leivo's the one that makes this interesting.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Just trading a player who makes more than 2.5 million solves the cap crunch for now.

As they are this close to the cap, i would almost guarantee they plan on having Horton go on LTIR, otherwise it will be 5.3 + 3.0 (robidas) in dead space.

Might as well take advantage of spot they are in and get as much of Horton's LTIR cap space as possible.

I'm not worried. Pridham will working the Leafs/Marlies waiver wire Day 1 of the season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Unless someone who makes more than 2.4 million is traded, they'll have to use horton on LTIR immediately this year, since 2 RFAs+ a backup will cost a between 3.5 and 4 million.

They have 14 forwards under contract on one way deals unless you don't count lupul, which would be foolish

8 Dmen on one way deals, and presumably 2 goalies.

That's the 23 man roster, but the issue will come with playing time, and will a leivo be benched for a holland etc.
Why are you so concerned about using the LTIR "right away"

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Lou Lam's brilliant waiving tactic turned a $2.1 mil ask into a $1.3 mil settlement saving the Leafs $800k.

No interest from any team all but destroyed Holland's bargaining power.

However his signing means 1 less roster spot for a young player as I doubt Leafs want to pay Holland that amount to play on the Marlies.

Or you know, negotiations start with the player's agent demanding for than reasonable for his client knowing meeting in the middle is the most feasible option.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maple Leafs Sign Peter Holland to One-Year Deal

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890095

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today the hockey club has signed forward Peter Holland to a one-year contract.

Holland, 25, collected 27 points (nine goals, 18 assists) and 28 penalty minutes with the Maple Leafs in 2015-16. His five power play goals were tied for the second-most on the team. The Toronto native, acquired by the Maple Leafs in a November 16, 2013 trade with the Anaheim Ducks, has accumulated 69 points (30 goals, 39 assists) in 195 career NHL games.

Holland was originally selected by Anaheim in the first round (15th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hopefully this serves as a wake up call for Holland and he brings the work ethic and consistency needed.

Very serviceable player with good skill. Let this be a lesson learned for him, and he comes to work everyday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad