Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Peter Holland to a 1 year 1.3M contract

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
It's fine. I like that everyone is on 1 year deals but we have way many bodies. Start packaging players for better assets.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What are you going in about?

Him on waivers would have been inadmissible in a hearing.

He probably wanted around 1.5m, settled on 1.3m..like arbitration cases being settled in between the two values isn't common..:shakehead

This is what I'm going on about. :)

&

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
There is going to be some very angry posters here come opening night who have these rookie dream scenarios. The truth is, we have some young players who will not require waivers to be sent down. These players will likely be sent down in order to keep a slightly older "asset" regardless if that older player (i.e. Holland, Leivo, Corrado) is as good. Couple that with Babcock's history of allowing players to over develop in the AHL ... Guys like Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Soshnikov all won't make it.. The recent signings are pretty indicative of that unless they can move some of those assets in a Harrington/Rychel type of deal.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Is it not one or the other....the team submits its offer and the player submits his ask.

So it would have been one or the other and he risked losing and getting $900K as I doubt he would have won the 2.1M ask.

or somewhere in the middle right?
(or am i thinking of another sport?)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Is it not one or the other....the team submits its offer and the player submits his ask.

So it would have been one or the other and he risked losing and getting $900K as I doubt he would have won the 2.1M ask.

No, it can be anywhere in between those 2 numbers.

But generally, each side have to give its comparables, then from there, it could go in 2 ways.

1. They work out a deal before hand

2. They go to arbitration and argue their cases and then the arbitrator has final ruling.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Holland has had his chance. He was the doing of a past regime. Does he really have any future here? He is a run of the mill 3rd line Center with nothing special about his game. Would he play on a Stanley cup team? Anaheim says no. I don't think Babcock likes him and he is likely one of the "tweeners" he referred to. I know I wouldn't pay him $2 million.

1.3 million per. more than reasonable for a 25-30pt bottom 6 player

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
There is going to be some very angry posters here come opening night who have these rookie dream scenarios. The truth is, we have some young players who will not require waivers to be sent down. These players will likely be sent down in order to keep a slightly older "asset" regardless if that older player (i.e. Holland, Leivo, Corrado) is as good. Couple that with Babcock's history of allowing players to over develop in the AHL ... Guys like Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Soshnikov all won't make it.. The recent signings are pretty indicative of that unless they can move some of those assets in a Harrington/Rychel type of deal.

Yup, not necessarily agreeing with the names you suggest but waiver exempt is important when it comes to asset management.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He's still a decent NHL contributor. Perhaps he's traded in the next couple weeks, maybe he's given a chance to make the team... who knows.

But the Leafs will have a 2nd buyout window period at some point in August. This means the Leafs could very well trim their roster at that point.

I'd much rather have Holland over a few of the 'veterans' we have right now like Michalek for example.

Don't see where he fits in. If you think he's a better option than a healthy Michalek, you are gravely mistaken. A healthy Michalek is a quality 2nd line left winger. A healthy Peter Holland is a healthy scratch.

Agreed. People under-rate Michalek here. When healthy, he's a good 3rd player that can fill in on the 2nd line in a pinch. He's overpaid no doubt, and age and health are becoming factors, but .....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed. People under-rate Michalek here. When healthy, he's a good 3rd player that can fill in on the 2nd line in a pinch. He's overpaid no doubt, and age and health are becoming factors, but .....

Again when healthy.
Also for the past few years I've read about Lupul when healthy.
Odds are showing they are usually not.
Constantly missing because of injuries affects game time to get back up to speed. They also take their toll as your body starts to become 30-31-32-and on. It's not like a couple of bad luck years of injuries at 23-24 and then you pass that time to get your game going.
Aging plus constant yearly injuries.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We have over $5 mill in cap space oncr Horton's LTIR is in place. Not at all tight.

Its Horton's salary less the amount of free cap space the Leafs have at the time Horton is placed on LTIR. It's not automatically his entire salary amount as some people seem to think.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Again when healthy.
Also for the past few years I've read about Lupul when healthy.
Odds are showing they are usually not.
Constantly missing because of injuries affects game time to get back up to speed. They also take their toll as your body starts to become 30-31-32-and on. It's not like a couple of bad luck years of injuries at 23-24 and then you pass that time to get your game going.
Aging plus constant yearly injuries.

Michalek has played in 66 and 82 games in the two seasons prior to the last one. Not that bad. Last year he broke his hand a couple of times blocking shots. That's not a chronic injury thing.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

People will be angry well losing perspective that it's an 82 game season. Not just about Day 1! Guys like Soshnikov + Hyman + Leipsic won't be hurt by starting in the AHL and if anything it's nice we've finally got some depth. Injuries also always happen and we've got two very high injury risk guys in Lupul + Michalek so call up opportunities exist.

Those same fans will end up being happy when we start trading off spare parts to gain extra picks. Think names like Holland, Michalek, Polak, Hunwick and Greening

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Hope he gets back to his 2013-2015 numbers again..

The kid has it in him..., imo... He just has to hold onto.. & own it..

I Go Wild: Peter Holland 2014-15 Goal Highlights - TML

Peter Holland: Season Goals Montage - TML 2013-14

The Holland Wave: Peter Holland Tribute - TML 2012-13 & Early 2013-14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad