Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Peter Holland to a 1 year 1.3M contract

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Don't see where he fits in. If you think he's a better option than a healthy Michalek, you are gravely mistaken. A healthy Michalek is a quality 2nd line left winger. A healthy Peter Holland is a healthy scratch.

lol I totally Agree there, I just dont see where he fits maybe im wrong but I dont see him on this team come October.:shakehead

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
and you include bonus overages.

LTIR IS NOT FREE CAP SPACE.
It's not "free space" which is why they're going to get as close as they can to the cap to maximize the space LTIR creates.

Don't worry about the bonuses today, worry about then at the TDL. The team will have a much better idea on cap space and likely bonuses at that point.

Mr Hockey*

Barring trade(s), I don't see roster space for Marner and I think it's 50:50 whether Holland makes the team out of training camp.

I'm as keen as anyone to see the young guys in the NHL but the fact remains that Marner can play another year in the OHL delaying the start of his ELC for another season. That would actually be beneficial for the Leafs to stagger these player exits from ELCs.

As for Holland, he was going to get a contract after the Leafs qualified him. They probably miscalculated league interest in the player. Holland has to beat out a player like Laich for the 4th line center spot. Holland is at a disadvantage for this role. Babcock didn't trust him at center. I could see the Leafs burying him early in the season then giving an opportunity later in the season to bring his total NHL games up to the number to fulfill expansion exposure obligations.

I don't see roster space for Marner either, I am ok with him going back to London and playing center all season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is the most meh move of the offseason for me. I literally couldn't have cared less even knowing if we retained Holland or not at this point in the offseason(though with arbitration looming we had to retain him). He's there as depth if we need it, but I don't really want him on the team to start unless some of the young guys flop hard.

Hopefully someone claims him off waivers during pre-season when we try to send him down.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I don't see roster space for Marner either, I am ok with him going back to London and playing center all season.

I think that's a really bad idea. He's never going to play centre in the NHL so why even bother? I don't understand why anyone would want to change a thing about his multi-award winning play at wing.

Mad Brills*

I think that's a really bad idea. He's never going to play centre in the NHL so why even bother? I don't understand why anyone would want to change a thing about his multi-award winning play at wing.

Him going back to junior would be really dissapointing.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

The absolute obsession with every forward playing center really blows me away.

Marner's a winger. He's not going to be a center in the NHL.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
STOP. Marner's making the team, and even if he's scratched a bit, it's better than beating up on inferior kids again.

This. He has absolutely nothing left to prove at junior, zero.
He makes the team. Even if its in and out of the lineup he gets to eat, train, skate, practice etc with the big club. Far better training than being in London scoring 4 and 5 pts every game while playing bored.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
He makes the team. Even if its in and out of the lineup he gets to eat, train, skate, practice etc with the big club. Far better training than being in London scoring 4 and 5 pts every game while playing bored.

You'll never get that through to some unfortunately.

Living with and playing with and against pro's every day is what Marner needs. Even if he's only playing 2 out of every 3 games in order to shelter his minutes.

Nothing left to gain in London. He needs to keep moving forward at the NHL level even if the focus is on training and practicing more then it is on playing every night.

Mr Hockey*

A year at playing center will most likely help him be an even better player.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Meh. Wish they could have traded him for a pick of some sort. Anyways, depth is always good to have. Injuries happen. Some prospects take a step back. Maybe Marner doesn't make it etc. Holland can play wing too. We have no idea who they are trying to trade. If Bozak traded, he is a good 3rd line centre with Matthews jumping up to #2.

Mad Brills*

Nylander, who is 5 x the centre marner is, will be a winger for a big part of this year.

He won't be a centre EVER under babcock.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

How is that exactly? He's never projected to being a center professionally. To my knowledge has played very limited minutes in the middle.

Why would you send your future top line winger back to develop him as a C when you're already ready to start him off with a projected franchise C to come along with him?

Unless the NHL changes the rules to go to full time 4 on 4 then sending Marner back to OHL to play a position you have no control over him playing is rather ridiculous.

Mr Hockey*

nothing left to prove at junior... what does that mean?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
nothing left to prove at junior... what does that mean?

It means he has proved all there is to prove at that level and if he's sent back there's fear of him regressing due to essentially being above that level of play and being bored with it.

The same reason an exceptional student may be bumped ahead a grade or 2....to keep them challenged even if they prove to be exceptional.

Players who are too good for junior often end up with bad habits that can be tough to break once they become professionals.

Marner falls into that category after his last 2 seasons where he produced like a dominant 19/20yr old despite being 17/18 and much physically smaller then most of his opposition.

He won most major individual and team awards. How else does one need to explain "nothing left to prove" without having someone simply do 3 minutes of google research on the player being discussed? :laugh:

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Not sure where he fits in, seems to be the black sheep. Loves playing here - but he really has to show some sort of value this fall.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure where he fits in, seems to be the black sheep. Loves playing here - but he really has to show some sort of value this fall.

The anti-Kessel? Guy who appeared to not enjoy his time here but produced versus Holland who likes playing here but doesn't produce lol.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I don't think he does fit in but on a 1 year deal at a low cap hit he offers a bit of flexibility and experience. Might be able to flip him for a later pick as the season goes on. Worst case scenario he's a Marlie for the year.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
It means he has proved all there is to prove at that level and if he's sent back there's fear of him regressing due to essentially being above that level of play and being bored with it.

The same reason an exceptional student may be bumped ahead a grade or 2....to keep them challenged even if they prove to be exceptional.

Players who are too good for junior often end up with bad habits that can be tough to break once they become professionals.

Marner falls into that category after his last 2 seasons where he produced like a dominant 19/20yr old despite being 17/18 and much physically smaller then most of his opposition.

He won most major individual and team awards. How else does one need to explain "nothing left to prove" without having someone simply do 3 minutes of google research on the player being discussed? :laugh:

Thanks for answering this for me. He literally won everything he could at the major junior level. Every. Single. MVP award. He has nothing else to win in major junior.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good signing.

But I wonder if the fact that 1 he signed only for 1 year and 2 opted for less than 50% of what he would have gotten in arbitration means he was promised a spot in the Leafs lineup....

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Barring trade(s), I don't see roster space for Marner and I think it's 50:50 whether Holland makes the team out of training camp.

I'm as keen as anyone to see the young guys in the NHL but the fact remains that Marner can play another year in the OHL delaying the start of his ELC for another season. That would actually be beneficial for the Leafs to stagger these player exits from ELCs.

As for Holland, he was going to get a contract after the Leafs qualified him. They probably miscalculated league interest in the player. Holland has to beat out a player like Laich for the 4th line center spot. Holland is at a disadvantage for this role. Babcock didn't trust him at center. I could see the Leafs burying him early in the season then giving an opportunity later in the season to bring his total NHL games up to the number to fulfill expansion exposure obligations.

I'm not sure Laich will be a leaf come the fall.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Thanks for answering this for me. He literally won everything he could at the major junior level. Every. Single. MVP award. He has nothing else to win in major junior.

No problem.

Marner's like the definition of "nothing left to prove" as an OHL prospect.

Just look at his stat line from 15-16:
Season: 57GP 37+77=116 tied for #1 in league...named MVP
WJHC: 5GP 4+2=6 tied for team scoring lead
Playoffs: 18GP 16+28=44 won OHL playoff championship...named MVP
Memorial Cup: 4GP 2+12=14 won Memorial Cup championship...named MVP

84GP 59+119=178

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad