Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to 2 year 1 way 1.25m AAV contract

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcock played what was given to him. Lou didn't go out of his way to upgrade goaltending when the starter needed time in the AHL to find his game again. I think Babcock said all the right things, he taught his systems, coached to win, He didn't complain when his big shooter was P.A Parenteau and better players were on the Marlies, he didn't complain when any NHL vets that could help win were either traded or buried. he didn't complain when he was given waiver fodder to fill his lineup and he didn't complain that he didn't have an NHL quality starter in net. A big reason we have Matthews is because of what went on between the pipes. How many 1 goal games did we lose?

If we had Nylander, Brown, Hyman, Leivo, Leipsic types up all year, and upgraded goaltending, we don't sniff bottom 5 and probably don't get Matthews.

Perfect tank.

Babcock definitely took things like a champ to work with what he was given.

That said, I remain convinced that giving a clearly not NHL ready yet Sparks so many stars near the end of the season was a tank move. Helped neutralize the positive impact guys like Nylander and Sosh were having on the team.

Mad Brills*

I do think he'll be given the Rielly treatment from 2013-14 at the start of the season. A few scratches, and if he plays well enough he'll be on the team full time in November. Though him being gone in late december is still an optoin

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Neilson is a long way from pushing for a roster spot....

It all depends how he looks with the Marlies this year (obvious I know). I have a hard time saying a prospect defenseman with size and fine mobility who posted a ppg 70 point season in the WHL in his draft +1 year is "far from making the roster". With how steep his development curve has been over the last 2 years, you could look foolish making statements like these.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
I still think that this signing if preparation for a trade (makes it easier/ more lucrative,
to have a short contract already in place).. and that we might see a package trade before season start..

I have no problems with it, though.. either way.. Short-term contract and low Cap Hit..
He is also capable of having a better season, than the last one.., so he could always surprise..

3M: Martin Marincin Montage - TML (2010-2015 Highlights)

he looks like the geeky kid from american pie.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
I tried. What about Marincin versus Gardiner, how much of a joke is that eh? What about Marincin versus Hunwick, I mean, my god you guys...

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No he is not.....using BS data without even understand what you are posting is a joke. Context is your friend when it is used.

No point in this discussion.....you thinking that Hunwick is better than Gardiner is so wrong on every level.

Best part is that a slightly above average OZS% makes Gardiner sheltered, despite some of the most highly regarded D-men in the league playing more favorable minutes. Of course, that counter-argument goes over his head.

buttman*

Leafs can't sign a backup, or even put sparks on the active roster until cowen's situation is cleared up.

If they lose that, unless they trade someone, they have to wait until October to have a backup on the roster once Horton's LTIR'd.

Sure they can. You can go over by 10% in the off-season. They also can put Horton and Robidas on LTIR which gives them about 8 million in space and only 47 contracts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To continue on that topic, Hunwick is for sure playing tough minutes. When you get down to the ZS% numbers he's at, you really start to see an effect. At least according to my own research.

The extent to which Hunwick's numbers plummeted though indicates that he is unusually unsuited to playing the role that he ironically is getting lauded for. He has been performer in a bottom pairing role for the last few years though.

So why did Babcock play him like that? Well if you want to spread out Gardiner and Rielly to make sure we have a possession driver on the ice as often as possible, you don't really have much choice. It's Hunwick, Polak or a youngster. Hunwick beats Polak, and Babcock obviously and understandably preferred the short-term veteran to play above his head rather than the long-term more valuable prospect.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Happy to hear they re-signed him. He grew on me as the season went on.

Sorry if this post is on topic.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Marincin is good defensively, and can help get the puck out of the zone.

For a guy that so classically fits the definition of a defensive defenceman, which is what everyone salivates for around here, he sure isn't liked much around here.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Thought he struggled a lot in the first half, and was a pleasant surprise in the second half. Really grew on me and I liked his game. Seemed to use his long reach effectively, and defends well. His offensive skills are non existent, however.

Mr Hockey*

I think Marincin may have some offensive upside. It looks like he put up some points in WHL and AHL.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Thought he struggled a lot in the first half, and was a pleasant surprise in the second half. Really grew on me and I liked his game. Seemed to use his long reach effectively, and defends well. His offensive skills are non existent, however.

Dat vision doe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3