Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to 2 year 1 way 1.25m AAV contract

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
  • 31 yrs old makes 1.2 mil
  • works his way from #7 to #1 dman
  • plays against #1 line
  • plays on #1 PK unit
  • plays #1 shutdown role
  • plays most minutes every game
  • help Rielly learn how to play D
  • wears an "A"
  • starts his shift 58% of the time in his own zone
  • leafs top pairing dman
  • advanced stats says he is a top 4 dman
  • coach speaks highly of him on and off the ice

:shakehead

He ia not underpaid....he started the year playing ok but struggled a lot after that.. Yes Babcock likes him and used him a lot but i would be shocked if he is used in the same way this season.

He did not help Rielly in any way...

Mr Hockey*

you saw rielly's stats away from him right?

When you partner up with Hunwick you are matching up against other teams top lines, your shift will often start as a faceoff in your own end. Hunwick played the most under-pressure/stressful minutes of the dmen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
  • plays against #1 line
  • plays on #1 PK unit
  • plays #1 shutdown role
  • wears an "A"
  • leafs top pairing dman

Leafs should be able to land quite an asset for him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
When you partner up with Hunwick you are matching up against other teams top lines, your shift will often start as a faceoff in your own end. Hunwick played the most under-pressure/stressful minutes of the dmen.

And he handled those minutes poorly after a good start. Once he was hurt Rielly numbers improved a huge amount playing with other D man....

Why is that?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
When the game started, Babcock coached to win! The tanking was done off the ice... my opinion

Imo the key phrase used by the leafs brass was 'evaluation'. Saying we have to see what this player can do etc gave the team a valid reason to play players above their comfort level.
I agree Babcock coached to win every game but he also played players that were not the best available choice to win so they could be 'evaluated'.

Mr Hockey*

Imo the key phrase used by the leafs brass was 'evaluation'. Saying we have to see what this player can do etc gave the team a valid reason to play players above their comfort level.
I agree Babcock coached to win every game but he also played players that were not the best available choice to win so they could be 'evaluated'.

Advanced stats say, he had a top 4 level season, playing the hardest minutes, your post favours my opinion?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Advanced stats say, he had a top 4 level season, playing the hardest minutes, your post favours my opinion?

Not according to this
Hunny_Hero.0.png

Other than impact on his linemates he is barely top 4.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
right.

Because playing a rookie goaltender with a bad groin screams trying to win.

Babcock played what was given to him. Lou didn't go out of his way to upgrade goaltending when the starter needed time in the AHL to find his game again. I think Babcock said all the right things, he taught his systems, coached to win, He didn't complain when his big shooter was P.A Parenteau and better players were on the Marlies, he didn't complain when any NHL vets that could help win were either traded or buried. he didn't complain when he was given waiver fodder to fill his lineup and he didn't complain that he didn't have an NHL quality starter in net. A big reason we have Matthews is because of what went on between the pipes. How many 1 goal games did we lose?

If we had Nylander, Brown, Hyman, Leivo, Leipsic types up all year, and upgraded goaltending, we don't sniff bottom 5 and probably don't get Matthews.

Perfect tank.

Mr Hockey*

Not according to this

Other than impact on his linemates he is barely top 4.

Coach plays him top 2, your stats say he is barely top 4 playing the hardest minutes of all the dman... :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Hockey*

I am not saying Hunwick is a NHL #1 dman, I am disagreeing with the mad brill/diceman guys who says Hunwick is garbage. Other than Rielly, he was our most valuable dman.

Last edited by a moderator:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I am not saying Hunwick is a NHL #1 dman, I am disagreeing with the mad brill/diceman guys who says Hunwick is garbage. Other than Rielly, he was our most valuable dman.

Not a chance....Gardiner is vastly superior and i personally take Marincin over him. Dion was better as well.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Babcocks usage of a player combined with stats, trumps your eye test, sorry bud :nod:

no it doesn't

Hunwick is just a responsible D that Babcock employed to help stabilize that top pairing.

Rielly is driving possession and fulfilling Hunwicks role, elite offensive skill offset by a very safe partner. Gardiner fulfilled a similar role to Rielly, So did Dion and so did Marancin, each a bit worse at it than the prior.

Hunwick is a 7th D playing too high as an obvious safe stop gap. Anyone with a brain, including Babcock, understands what he is.

Mr Hockey*

Gardiner is so much bettet that i question just what you see when you watch a hockey game...by the way Gardiner is #51
Eye test and stats...support my opinion.

Are you trying to get me to debate who is better, Hunwick or Gardiner?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
  • plays against #1 line
  • plays on #1 PK unit
  • plays #1 shutdown role
  • wears an "A"
  • leafs top pairing dman

Did you get these from a Mike Kostka thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad