Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to 2 year 1 way 1.25m AAV contract

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
in the offseason, but they still have to shed it, and they're under the cap now without horton on LTIR, which is what they want due to the bonus overages.

Albeit if cowen does get bought out, they don't have to do anything.

That would only happen if he wins his case.

They can do some paper transactions to get under the cap. IE start with a 20 man roster, send Matthews Nylander and Zaitsev to the Marlies. Place Horton on the LTIR and then recall Matthews Zaitsev and Nylander

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Good signing. If he keeps improving his game it should look like a steal of a contract.

And if he doesn't work out with the Leafs, he should be pretty easy to trade on account of his low cap hit.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I still think that this signing if preparation for a trade (makes it easier/ more lucrative,
to have a short contract already in place).. and that we might see a package trade before season start..

I have no problems with it, though.. either way.. Short-term contract and low Cap Hit..
He is also capable of having a better season, than the last one.., so he could always surprise..

3M: Martin Marincin Montage - TML (2010-2015 Highlights)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have the same feeling. The 2 year deal meets the standards to expose to expansion.
We have a bunch of LHD, with Valiev/Dermott/Neilsen pushing for a spot next year.

Rielly...RHD
Gardiner...Zaitsev
LHD...Carrick

Neilson is a long way from pushing for a roster spot....

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He really did play better at the end of the year. Now he's working out, getting stronger back in Europe. His long reach, good stick, and now hopefully size, are going to make him a good shutdown D. If he even bumps up his offense to 15-20 points a year as well, this will be a great deal.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I like this signing, and I think he'll have a big year. Unfortunately, that would likely mean that he would be the one claimed to LV.

MSG*

Ship up or ship out? He played great and a ton the second half of the season. This will turn out to be a steal.

On the worst team in the league. I'd temper a little bit. He's decent but not a difference maker. Difference makers required.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Be interesting to see where Marincin lines up on the Dcore.

He ended the year beside Rielly, but that was due to Hunwick his regular partner injured and shut down for the season.

Rielly, Gardner and Zaitsev :crossfing seem to be 3 of the top 4 on Defense.

Is Marincin seen as that 4th guy or is he battling Corrado, Polak, Carrick for that 3rd pairing?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Be interesting to see where Marincin lines up on the Dcore.

He ended the year beside Rielly, but that was due to Hunwick his regular partner injured and shut down for the season.

Rielly, Gardner and Zaitsev :crossfing seem to be 3 of the top 4 on Defense.

Is Marincin seen as that 4th guy or is he battling Corrado, Polak, Carrick for that 3rd pairing?

I would hope he at least starts with Rielly as they ended the season playing very well together. Imo he has earned the right to start the season with Morgan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would hope he at least starts with Rielly as they ended the season playing very well together. Imo he has earned the right to start the season with Morgan.

I guess the question with Marincin is, was he playing with Rielly at end of year because ..

A) Hunwick was injured, so a replacement was needed.
B) Leafs were trying to position themselves to finish 30th.
C) Marincin proved he could play on the top pairing in the last dozen games, thus earning a look on merit of play.
D) All of the above.

So if Hunwick is not injured to start the year, and Leafs are not looking to finish last how does this effect Marincin going forward?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I guess the question with Marincin is, was he playing with Rielly at end of year because ..

A) Hunwick was injured, so a replacement was needed.
B) Leafs were trying to position themselves to finish 30th.
C) Marincin proved he could play on the top pairing in the last dozen games.
D) All of the above.

So if Hunwick is not injured to start the year, and Leafs are not looking to finish last how does this effect Marincin going forward?
A: yes
B: yes but I don't think that's why he was playing there because if the goal of putting him there was to tank, he would have been taken off that pairing since they were performing so well. I rather think it was a test to see if he could play up to his potential.
C: yes
D: no just A and B
Again just my opinion.

Mr Hockey*

People would be surprised at the amount of information Babcock gives out during his pre and post game info.

Mr Hockey*

hunwick is garbage

• 31 yrs old makes 1.2 mil
  • works his way from #7 to #1 dman
  • plays against #1 line
  • plays on #1 PK unit
  • plays #1 shutdown role
  • plays most minutes every game
  • help Rielly learn how to play D
  • wears an "A"
  • starts his shift 58% of the time in his own zone
  • leafs top pairing dman
  • advanced stats says he is a top 4 dman
  • coach speaks highly of him on and off the ice

:shakehead

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you saw rielly's stats away from him right?

Hunwick is not a top pair D man...he is a bottom pair D man....Polak is the same. They both had an affect on their partners last seasin but it was not positive. People on here saying Marincin had a good end of the season...did not watch closly enough...Polak was garbage and he made Marincin look bad...but he had a very good season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad