Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Enroth to a 1 year 750k deal.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
This guy is tiny. First time I saw him in pre-season, my jaw dropped. I don't know how he managed a .922 even on the kings with his size; corners are gaping on this guy every time I see low angle replays.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm amazed this is the same goalie that seemed to stonewall the Leafs while he was with Buffalo.

Looks so small in net

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Me too :laugh:

I can't tell if he's serious anymore.

I don't care for Enroth either, but this loss was a team effort.

Yeah, I wonder how people think when they blame the goaltender for a loss in which we scored a grand total of zero goals.

Also impressive that people have already forgotten the lesson of Andersen's first five games. One month, and people make the same kind of overreactions again.

I'm amazed this is the same goalie that seemed to stonewall the Leafs while he was with Buffalo.

Looks so small in net

He used to be so quick on the ice that his size didn't matter much. Right now his mobility look about average, which is a problem if you're that small.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
first poster who runs to the main boards and starts a "would Enroth gets picked up off waivers" thread gets a cookie

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, I wonder how people think when they blame the goaltender for a loss in which we scored a grand total of zero goals.

Also impressive that people have already forgotten the lesson of Andersen's first five games. One month, and people make the same kind of overreactions again.

He used to be so quick on the ice that his size didn't matter much. Right now his mobility look about average, which is a problem if you're that small.

This seems fair

The third goal he had little chance on.

The second goal I would say it's equal parts the rebound he gave up plus the fact that the defense allowed the Flames player to walk in for the shot with no one covering the other player for the rebound

The first was also a tough one. The team D stood still to allow Hamilton to sit beside the slot for an open shot. And it was a well place shot above the pad at the corner of the net. But I feel that Enroth could have battled more to see that shot to make the save.

Not entirely his fault tonight, the team started really slow, but he could have bailed them out early. He was fine after the second goal. After then the loss is on the team for not being able to score against one of the weakest teams defensively

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Know the difference between a backup goalie whose name you are familiar with and an actual quality backup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This seems fair

The second goal I would say it's equal parts the rebound he gave up plus the fact that the defense allowed the Flames player to walk in for the shot with no one covering the other player for the rebound

The first was also a tough one. The team D stood still to allow Hamilton to sit beside the slot for an open shot. And it was a well place shot above the pad at the corner of the net. But I feel that Enroth could have battled more to see that shot to make the save.

Not entirely his fault tonight, the team started really slow, but he could have bailed them out early. He was fine after the second goal. After then the loss is on the team for not being able to score against one of the weakest teams defensively

Our reads on all plays seem more or less identical. I wrote about them in the PGT.

I've read goaltenders say that the hard low shot that you need to make a pad extension on is the hardest rebound to control, but yeah. Preferably you want him to kick out to put it further away from goal, if anything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Well, Enroth ever only stonewalled the Leafs because of the kind of rosters they used to take into Buffalo...

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Frankly I think we've forgotten how utterly deflating it is for a team when a goalie can't stop anything. When you can't count on those first few saves it can kill the offense. How can you play bold and take chances if you are 100% sure anything going the other way ends up in the net?

When the #1 struggles you can endure it. Because that person will get the time and chances to find themselves. A backup won't have that chance.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Our reads on all plays seem more or less identical. I wrote about them in the PGT.

I've read goaltenders say that the hard low shot that you need to make a pad extension on is the hardest rebound to control, but yeah. Preferably you want him to kick out to put it further away from goal, if anything.

Great minds think alike ;)

It's easy to blame the goalie, especially with the numbers Enroth has this year. But it's not all him IMO. He hasn't been great, but not as bad as his numbers tell.

We're just used to good backup goalies around here ;)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Frankly I think we've forgotten how utterly deflating it is for a team when a goalie can't stop anything. When you can't count on those first few saves it can kill the offense. How can you play bold and take chances if you are 100% sure anything going the other way ends up in the net?

When the #1 struggles you can endure it. Because that person will get the time and chances to find themselves. A backup won't have that chance.

Our offense wasn't killed though. Chad just sat on it until it gave up.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Well, Enroth ever only stonewalled the Leafs because of the kind of rosters they used to take into Buffalo...

I don't understand what people are saying about him owning us.

Enroth has 1 win and 2 losses against us in his career. The win was a .920 sv% performance and the two losses average out to around .850 sv%.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While his performance past the 2 goals was pretty good. You have to save one of those two goals in the first minute. While neither were that soft, you can't allow those goals so quick next to one another on a back to back. We probably would have lost anyway due to how hot Johnson was, but he didn't give us much of a chance.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Leafs backup should have about 10 games to start. So there is no need to sign Ramo for 10 games. Just play Bibeau for those 10 games.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Why? Enroth was/is seen as a capable NHL calibre goalie. His horrible start this season puts a question mark to his future NHL career but when he signed no one knew he would struggle like this. And his struggles are a short sample size of 5 games and often with a tired team in front of him. So one has to take that into consideration.

And no, I am not really a fan of him but I can see why people where/are.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This guy is tiny. First time I saw him in pre-season, my jaw dropped. I don't know how he managed a .922 even on the kings with his size; corners are gaping on this guy every time I see low angle replays.

he flat out missed the first shot ,pulled a bernier on us :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
what does a buyout look like? sign Ramo even if he is as bad he is bigger so a couple of enroths goals wont go in on Ramo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This seems fair

Glad to see these posts, seems from the PGT like everyone wants to throw Enroth to the wolves. I went to sleep after the first period, watched the highlights this morning to confirm my views on the goals which are the same as yours. The 3rd goal he had no chance on IMO and the first two were more difficult to assess, I'd say that while unquestionably he had a chance on both they were far from routine saves, the first one it's hard even from watching it several times exactly what happened and the second one, yeah it's his fault he gave up the rebound but as you pointed out, rebounds are quite hard to control on shots like that. And yeah blaming the goalie in a game where we got shut out is just dumb. Really hope the team plays better in front of him next time. Also, Calgary hadn't scored two goals that fast to start a game since some time in the 80's I think it was? You can't come out that flat as a team in the NHL and expect to win a game ever. This was a team loss plain and simple.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I am going to start off by saying that he has not been good but i think alot of you are overreacting the same way you did about Andersen the first 5 games when some said they wanted to waive him.
I have always been a fan of Enroth but he looks off to me. His movements look awkward and stiff and his rebound control has not been good. Usually he is very loose and a fun goalie to watch. I would encourage some of you to watch some of his past highlights to see what i mean. Imo he should get an extra start here or there to work through it just like Freddy did. He is getting too few of starts to get into a rhythm. I know its tough to want to put in a goalie that is deflating but if the ultimate goal is winning games you need 2 goalies to be good to give you a chance in case of injury whether its in season or playoffs. Might as well try to figure it out now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am going to start off by saying that he has not been good but i think alot of you are overreacting the same way you did about Andersen the first 5 games when some said they wanted to waive him.
I have always been a fan of Enroth but he looks off to me. His movements look awkward and stiff and his rebound control has not been good. Usually he is very loose and a fun goalie to watch. I would encourage some of you to watch some of his past highlights to see what i mean. Imo he should get an extra start here or there to work through it just like Freddy did. He is getting too few of starts to get into a rhythm. I know its tough to want to put in a goalie that is deflating but if the ultimate goal is winning games you need 2 goalies to be good to give you a chance in case of injury whether its in season or playoffs. Might as well try to figure it out now.

My first reaction is that while this may seem radical to some people, it's actually a very good idea. We have more back to back games (18!!) then any other team this season and we've also sucked so far in the second of those back to back games. Basically we have to get better there or we can forget about the playoffs and that means we need Enroth, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00