Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Enroth to a 1 year 750k deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
what does a buyout look like? sign Ramo even if he is as bad he is bigger so a couple of enroths goals wont go in on Ramo

Talk about overreaction :laugh:

You can't buyout a player midseason, only during specific period in the offseason and he'll be UFA by then.

Not like you'd buyout any player on a 750k deal after a 5 game sample anyway, can we not be overreactionary please?

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
i gave andersen the benefit of the doubt after 5gms too. didn't pretend he didn't suck in them, though.

my standard is the same for both.

your standard seems to be different for the two goalies - for one, 5gms of sucking is meaningless, for the other, it means he has to go.
You hold the same standard for a 5yr/5mil starter with better career stats than a 1yr/750k backup? Are you raising your standards for Enroth and lowering them for Andersen so they meet in the middle?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
are you saying we should hold enroth to a lower standard?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So Babcock puts the blame on the coaching staff, the players and the goaltender, and that's singling out Enroth? Don't really think he did.

With that said, one of the quirks with Babcock is that he has very little understanding and patience for goaltending. He won't like you unless you are consistently good, with very few bad goals.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
So Babcock puts the blame on the coaching staff, the players and the goaltender, and that's singling out Enroth? Don't really think he did.

With that said, one of the quirks with Babcock is that he has very little understanding and patience for goaltending. He won't like you unless you are consistently good, with very few bad goals.

Wait, what?

That's why when compared to Elliot in Calgary...both he and Andersen signed large, long term contracts.

Elliot has been all but replaced by Johnson while Andersen was back up by Babcock with the bold public statement of "he's our guy. we know what he can do and he will work this stuff out"

Elliot? He had no such public support and I'm not sure what's going to happen to him now in Calgary.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Due to the role he is paid to play, yes. The top starters in the league play the most games (60+) and earn the biggest contracts while their backups play the remainder and earn significantly less for a reason. The expectations are not the same. The only situations where a starter and backup are playing to similar standards are on teams with a 1A/1B.

You can give Andersen leeway after a poor 5 games because you've invested more in him and he has shown he can play better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So we should give enroth even more rope than the 5 games we gave Andersen a mulligan for?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Talk about overreaction :laugh:

You can't buyout a player midseason, only during specific period in the offseason and he'll be UFA by then.

Not like you'd buyout any player on a 750k deal after a 5 game sample anyway, can we not be overreactionary please?

sorry please add this to my previous post :sarcasm::sarcasm:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So we should give enroth even more rope than the 5 games we gave Andersen a mulligan for?

If I buy something for cheap that I don't have high expectations for, and that thing fails to live up to those lowered expectations, I might give up on it fairly quickly.

If I buy something that feels like a hefty investment, something I need and need to perform well, and that thing fails to live up to expectations at first, I might give it more time to turn around its performance, because I've invested so much into it and I have a stronger desire for that hoped-for performance at the time of purchase to become reality.

I think I understand where you're coming from, in the simple terms that the more you're invested in something, the more accountable you should hold it. I think you have to look at each situation through a bit of a vacuum to determine which thought process makes more sense, but when you're talking about two guys playing two different roles with two wildly different contracts and expectations, I'm inclined to show more patience to the one I have higher expectations for.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wait, what?

That's why when compared to Elliot in Calgary...both he and Andersen signed large, long term contracts.

Elliot has been all but replaced by Johnson while Andersen was back up by Babcock with the bold public statement of "he's our guy. we know what he can do and he will work this stuff out"

Elliot? He had no such public support and I'm not sure what's going to happen to him now in Calgary.

IIRC, Elliot (and Johnson) are pending UFAs, though Elliot costs a little more against the cap. I love how Babcock handled our situation, but with a 5x5 and a UFA as his options, the leash has to be long.

Last edited:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Lou: Jhonas, your equipment hasn't come back from the cleaners yet so would you be okay with practicing without it? Just once?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
What bothers me about Enroth is his rebound control. Everything on his pads when he is down in the butterfly is a large juicy rebound that usually goes in the net.

He can't control his rebound as you saw on the first goal last night. It was an innocent shot but he kicked right back into the slot area and got beat. Can't be doing that.

I would not give him anymore games.

Yes the Leafs are in a rebuild but also close enough to the playoffs for them to give the young kids a taste of meaningful hockey come March and April even if they don't make it playing those hard games down the stretch is more valuable than pissing away points with your backup who is giving up 3-5 goals everytime he gets in.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Send him to Orlando please

We are better off losing with a prospect or Ramo

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
What bothers me about Enroth is his rebound control. Everything on his pads when he is down in the butterfly is a large juicy rebound that usually goes in the net.

He can't control his rebound as you saw on the first goal last night. It was an innocent shot but he kicked right back into the slot area and got beat. Can't be doing that.

I would not give him anymore games.

Yes the Leafs are in a rebuild but also close enough to the playoffs for them to give the young kids a taste of meaningful hockey come March and April even if they don't make it playing those hard games down the stretch is more valuable than pissing away points with your backup who is giving up 3-5 goals everytime he gets in.

I was going to comment on his awful rebound control. Worst attribute for a goaltender. Worse that a bad glove hand.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016

I think you're referring to the 2nd goal. And the rebound wasn't into the slot. It was kicked out to the left side. Part of the blame for that goal needs to be on Gardiner who was coasting in and facing Enroth oblivious to Versteeg right behind him who buried the rebound.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yep. defense managed to somehow not only let the shooter walk unmolested into the slot, but also left the other guys open for the rebound too.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I know he should be ready to go, but would of been nice for the team to let him 'ease' into the game by playing a little tight to start the game off. And if you're suspect of his goal-tending, even more reason to shut the doors down.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
yep. defense managed to somehow not only let the shooter walk unmolested into the slot, but also left the other guys open for the rebound too.

Not to mention the 3rd goal where Stajan strolled past Gardiner and Rielly right down Yonge St. untouched. The lack of defensive support for Enroth this season has been atrocious. Not sure how much of that has to do with the back to backs.

On the first goal, Enroth didn't have a great read and was too far back in the blue when the one-timer came. Even with the same read, Andersen would have had a slightly better chance of stopping that simply due to his size. Being so small(and damn Enroth looks tiny out there) his reads and positioning need to be near perfect.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Wouldn't say lower standard but he is struggling a bit. Next time he is in net, his teammates need to button up and make it easier for him to gain confidence. They came out flat and he had to stop tough shots right off the bat.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

Well... is that really a bad thing? The coach wants to know he can trust his goalie to make the saves needed. Also, he has started Andersen 20 times out of 24 games this season, which kinda contradicts your opinion.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well... is that really a bad thing? The coach wants to know he can trust his goalie to make the saves needed. Also, he has started Andersen 20 times out of 24 games this season, which kinda contradicts your opinion.

No it doesn't.

I never said he won't play the goaltender. I'm saying that he has a history of making odd comments about his goaltenders any time they make mistakes, or go through bad stretches. He's done so throughout his coaching career. Howard in particular got to hear a lot.

Part of the scouting report on Babcock coming from Detroit was that goaltending can be sensitive because he looks at them like he does a normal player, who can be expected to work hard and just do their job. He seems to see mistakes and bad stretches as a failure to do this.

Very happy to see how supportive he was of Andersen when he struggled out of the gate.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
No it doesn't.

I never said he won't play the goaltender. I'm saying that he has a history of making odd comments about his goaltenders any time they make mistakes, or go through bad stretches. He's done so throughout his coaching career. Howard in particular got to hear a lot.

Part of the scouting report on Babcock coming from Detroit was that goaltending can be sensitive because he looks at them like he does a normal player, who can be expected to work hard and just do their job. He seems to see mistakes and bad stretches as a failure to do this.

Very happy to see how supportive he was of Andersen when he struggled out of the gate.

Oh oh, haha sorry read your post wrong my apologies, darn early mornings at work haha, I haven't followed Babcock when he was in Detroit so don't know his history indepth. Hmmm, we can only hope he's grown since then and learned to show better understanding and patience towards his goaltenders, and it appears he has :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad