Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Enroth to a 1 year 750k deal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
By signing a 6'4 goalie for 5 years. And a <6'0 goalie for 1 year.

You have a great point. What if theyre working on an Enroth extention/Anderson trade as we speak?!

Leafs plan and thinking. IMO

1st - Andersen/Enroth
2nd - Vegas Expansion Draft
3rd - Andersen/real backup with long term potential

Management is in a holding pattern waiting out the expansion draft and just needed a vet seat filler for this year.

However the 1 year minimum signing doesn't address the expansion draft for Toronto by signing Enroth for only 1 year. Had he gotten a 2-year deal he would have.
Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.
That means the Enroth signing has not protected Sparks/Bibeau as one will need to be exposed.

Leafs could have given him a 2-year lowball offer and then had someone to expose to Vegas.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Enroth and Lundqvist. Interesting pair.

However, it is a fact that Lundqvist stays a lot on the line. If you stay on the line like he does, there's more net to shoot at. More net to shoot at obviously mean easier to score. That's not good goaltending!

There's a clear trend in the NHL of moving away from passive goaltenders to a more aggressive, blocking style. Thankfully Toronto is wise to this trend and chose to sign goaltenders with a more aggressive style, while Rangers are stuck with their relic.

PS. I remember a bunch of games where the Leafs, one of the worst teams in the league, has dummied Lundqvist. I'd link, but it's just too many games for that.

;)

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

Someone related to the leafs will win the world cup of hockey.

babcock as the coach

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Saying big goaltenders have an advantage is fine. I did that too, after all. But that's really not different than an advantage in any other aspect, for any other position. It's all something that if you lack it, you have to compensate for.

The smaller goalie needs to be a better skater to compensate. The slower goalie need to read the play better to compensate. A small forward need to be more elusive to compensate. And so on it goes.

My main point was that it's never a good idea to judge any player by only one attribute. Enroth isn't a bad goaltender because he's small. He's a good backup because while he's got excellent mobility and reflexes, he's also very small and none of the other parts of his game is up to that same standard. It's all part of a whole.

I agree with this but will say that being small as a goalie is different than being small as a forward. You're not stopping pucks as a forward where every inch of your body being in front of a net is important.

I'm glad smaller goalies are being eliminated, yes some of them use quickness to make up for their lack of size but what's the shelf life on that? Size is important. I'm glad Freddy is 6'4. But now he has to back it up. Prove that he's worth his contract.

BTW: I'm not knocking Enroth. I hope he does well for us in the games he plays.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The most games in any season that Enroth has ever won in his career is 13, and it took him 37 games to accomplish it. So I'm not sure how many games he is stealing when he is losing 24 games of every 37.

That's a .351 winning %.. If he played 20 games that would mean he would steal 7 games. ;)

Enroth is just a stop gap solution, but the real key for Leaf nation is Freddy Andersen where the real focus should be on. He is being brought in to be a foundation piece going forward and so how he performs and plays is vital to our future. Enroth just here to give him an occasional night off.

PS. I still remember last year when the Kings were in TO and Leafs one of the lowest scoring teams in the league put 5 goals past Enroth in a 5-0 Leafs win. (http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400815349)

And he has played for some pretty bad Buffalo teams where Miller didn't help them much either. He is what he is. A competent backup who knows his role and is a stop gap.

Since you keep bringing up about bigger goalies fill more net i just thought i would share something with ya. I played my weekly 3 on 3 game last night. It was about a Jr.C caliber. I'm a 5'9 goalie and the goalie in the other net was about 6'2. By your logic he has a big advantage over me and should allow less goals but guess what. He let in 8 more goals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree with this but will say that being small as a goalie is different than being small as a forward. You're not stopping pucks as a forward where every inch of your body being in front of a net is important.

I'm glad smaller goalies are being eliminated, yes some of them use quickness to make up for their lack of size but what's the shelf life on that? Size is important. I'm glad Freddy is 6'4. But now he has to back it up. Prove that he's worth his contract.

There has been a ton of talk on Marner's size and Enroth is even smaller than Mitch..

Putting your smallest player in net just doesn't seem like a good strategic move if winning is the goal, where mass alone helps block pucks even ones you don't see.

Smaller goalies are trending the way of the Do-Do bird because analytics are forcing them out of the game. Enroth is playing on his 4th team in the last 2 years now and this might be his last NHL contract as he likely heads back to Europe to further his career. IMO

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Leafs could have given him a 2-year lowball offer and then had someone to expose to Vegas.

No reason for Enroth to sign this cheap for 2 years. He might think he has a very good chance to prove himself.
Also this year league minimum is 575k, after that it's 650k, he would have gained nothing by signing for 2 years.
Great signing for the Leafs

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Shelf life is a good point. Mobility can often be one of the things that deteriorate the quickest. And yeah, you are right that it's a bigger issue for goaltenders.

I just take exception with the single-minded size focus that certain posters have. Saying that Enroth is too small to be an effective backup, when we know he is.

Not sure why I go back to this particular example all the time, but it's like saying a forward is too slow, for example, to produce in NHL when he has put up 35 points in a depth role consistently for years.

We know who Enroth is. He's a guy that has been one of the most effective backups in the league over the 3-5 last years, and who struggles when asked to be a starter. Luckily, we are not going to ask him to be a starter.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
There has been a ton of talk on Marner's size and Enroth is even smaller than Mitch..

The talk is most driven by you. I'm starting to see a pattern...

As for one of your earlier posts, it's my understanding that Enroth cannot be exposed in the expansion draft next season if he does not have a contract that extends into 2017-18.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As for one of your earlier posts, it's my understanding that Enroth cannot be exposed in the expansion draft next season if he does not have a contract that extends into 2017-18.

You miss understood my point. I was saying if it had been a 2-year instead of 1-year he could have been exposed.

That means the Enroth signing has not protected Sparks/Bibeau as one will need to be exposed.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
We will see, Enroth is nothing to worry about.

Great thread, already 11 pages, the interesting goalie talk from former years will continue and Reimer and Bernier won't be out of sight.

I checked the schedule, Enroth should at least play 24 games and when Andersen doesn't feel good, Enroth could play 30. I think 52/30 wouldn't be bad.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
Signing Enroth to one year was wise. This way, Sparks is exposed but not likely to be selected. If he is, so be it, but he is not ready yet. Enroth will be a free agent next summer. If he plays well, we can try to resign him. If he was lost to LV, this would not be the case.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We will see, Enroth is nothing to worry about.

Great thread, already 11 pages, the interesting goalie talk from former years will continue and Reimer and Bernier won't be out of sight.

I checked the schedule, Enroth should at least play 24 games and when Andersen doesn't feel good, Enroth could play 30. I think 52/30 wouldn't be bad.

The only way Enroth plays 30 games is if Andersen gets hurt, otherwise Enroth realistically gets 20-24

247Leafs

Jul 28, 2016
Outside of the Toskala/Gustafsson era..... Is this just the second time the Leafs have had an all Euro goalie duo? Not that it matters where you're from though.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You miss understood my point. I was saying if it had been a 2-year instead of 1-year he could have been exposed.

Am I missing something? This seems to pop up now and then, an I just don't get it. signing Enroth to a 2 year contract would mean he would be exposed to the expansion draft, yes. But Sparks would still be exposed, too!

Scenario A: Enroth on a one year deal. Sparks is the only Leafs goalie who meets the criteria to be exposed to LV, and we risk losing him. We protect Andersen with our only G slot.

Scenario B: Enroth on a two year deal. Sparks and Enroth both meet the criteria to be exposed to LV, so we risk losing one of the two. We protect Andersen with our only G slot.

Seriously!? Am I missing something? We are required to have one exposed goaltender that meets the criteria. But we don't get to pick and choose if we have more than one!

Edit: Do people think that PIT could have signed a backup to a 2 year deal, and then keep MAF and Murray, since they now have one guy to expose?

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Enroth has been an above average goalie (i.e., his save percentage has been higher than average, corrected for shot quality) for his whole career, less two months during Buffalo's epic tank a season ago.

oaZdGsH.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad