Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Alright, let's get him for a mid round pick if we can.

I don't want Thornton that much. Would prefer Corey Perry, but both would be dumper dives.
Can’t stand Perry, and I’d much rather have Thornton tbh. Thornton would be a depth guy like Spezza, bring leadership to a young core and teach them to fight through adversity instead of bending over and taking it

Reactions: brhymes19

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So the next shiny new toy for fans to get excited about shows up.

Lets see,good write ups,good video,diamond in the rough and our next solid add to the big club.

Been there done that what 20 or so times the last 3 years.
Kappy and Johnsson turned out the best of the long list of shiny new toys and of course everyone says we can move on from them because they got paid and we have guys that can replace them easily and cheaper,20 goal scorers and good PK guys grow on trees in Leafland.

I don't see many people overrating Barabanov. Half the people forget to even include him in the Leafs' lineup. At best, I see him as a 3rd liner, but with Robertson in the mix now, then I expect him to be a 4th line energy guy with skill, similar to Trevor Moore.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I found it interesting how there was a report; possibly stated by Lehtonen himself, that he likes to play both sides on D and may even prefer the right side? Im interested to see how he does; I think he may have a real shot and could be a dark horse. I haven't written off Rosen either; he is a fantastic skater and can still be a bottom pairing D IMHO.

There seems to be more of an urgency to look at Lehtonen and Barabanov sooner because they are pending UFAs after the season. Sure, great if Rosen could stick somehow. I just don't know that I see him getting enough opportunities to prove himself beyond being a depth option.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Can’t stand Perry, and I’d much rather have Thornton tbh. Thornton would be a depth guy like Spezza, bring leadership to a young core and teach them to fight through adversity instead of bending over and taking it

Thornton is clearly not a fast skater. However, if you're comparing him to Perry; big Joe is the second coming of Athanasiou

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think they both make it, and I think Lehtonen becomes Sandin’s partner on the right. The Leafs need to get ran actual talented partner for Rielly, and I’d be ok with sacrificing Dermott to get it (if it’s not Travis playing the right himself)

As much as I'd like to see Sandin make the team for good, I don't know about pairing him with Lehtonen. I'd prefer more of an established presence there to start off with, and if whomever is initially on the outside looking in forces the issue at some point during the season, all the better.

I'm thinking Rielly and Dermott are a pairing as of now. Wouldn't mind a significant enough add to the blueline though at all (ideally meaning someone who can be a complement to Rielly on that pairing).

Last edited:

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
As much as I'd like to see Sandin make the team for good, I don't know about pairing him with Lehtonen. I'd prefer more of an established presence there to start off with, and if whomever is initially on the outside looking in forces the issue at some point during the season, all the better.

I'm thinking Rielly and Dermott are a pairing as of now. Wouldn't mind a significant enough add to the blueline though at all (ideally meaning someone who can be a complement to Rielly on that pairing).
Fair enough, although I’m not sure who comes out then. Maybe the plan is to slot Holl with Sandin? Maybe Dermott moves to the right and slots in with Sandin, and they deal Holl? I’m personally thinking Dermott is gone with the left side stacked, but wouldn’t be surprised if they deal Holl too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fair enough, although I’m not sure who comes out then. Maybe the plan is to slot Holl with Sandin? Maybe Dermott moves to the right and slots in with Sandin, and they deal Holl? I’m personally thinking Dermott is gone with the left side stacked, but wouldn’t be surprised if they deal Holl too.

Assuming a re-signing of Dermott and no trades of anyone already here, I'm guessing Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott and Lehtonen, plus an outside add via UFA or trade for the starting six. I didn't list the names in any specific order. Assumptions are just that though. I wouldn't be surprised to be off the mark in some way(s). Don't know if they trade Holl after recently giving him that contract. It's not impossible though.

Last edited:

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Assuming a re-signing of Dermott and no trades of anyone already here, I'm guessing Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott and Lehtonen, plus an outside add via UFA or trade for the starting six. I didn't list the names in any specific order. Assumptions are just that though. I wouldn't be surprised to be off the mark in some way(s).
No Sandin would truly be surprising. The more I think about it, the more I think one of Holl and a Dermott would definitely be dealt, wouldn’t be surprised if both are gone if there’s a deal that brings 2 RHD in

Reactions: Buds17

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So the next shiny new toy for fans to get excited about shows up.

Lets see,good write ups,good video,diamond in the rough and our next solid add to the big club.

Been there done that what 20 or so times the last 3 years.
Kappy and Johnsson turned out the best of the long list of shiny new toys and of course everyone says we can move on from them because they got paid and we have guys that can replace them easily and cheaper,20 goal scorers and good PK guys grow on trees in Leafland.

wow, i respect how you save your powder,,1 post a month over the past 2.5 years

this must matter to you

well, those 20 goals scorers had their cap space eaten by the big 3 and will pay the price

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
wow, i respect how you save your powder,,1 post a month over the past 2.5 years

this must matter to you

well, those 20 goals scorers had their cap space eaten by the big 3 and will pay the price

Eaten up by the big 4 for me.
Nylander just does not do it for me and I keep thinking how the work ethic and attitude seemed much better when he sat out.
I deal him and keep the other 2 but get why many would not.

I used to post a lot on 2 other sites and just read the comments here.
Since those 2 other sites went from good to awful I decided to post here.
Those other sites if you were not Dubas lovers,lou haters,Nylander lovers,Marner haters or disagreed with anything the majority said you were attacked by a pack of wild dogs.
You bleed Leaf blue and wear the rose coloured glasses no matter what.
In here differing opinions are many and more interesting and there are just a few complete fools and attack dogs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think they both make it, and I think Lehtonen becomes Sandin’s partner on the right. The Leafs need to get ran actual talented partner for Rielly, and I’d be ok with sacrificing Dermott to get it (if it’s not Travis playing the right himself)

The Leafiest thing ever is to think a puck-mover type with zero NHL experience is an adequate partner for Sandin.

But it's the Leafs, they're probably going to try it.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The Leafiest thing ever is to think a puck-mover type with zero NHL experience is an adequate partner for Sandin.

But it's the Leafs, they're probably going to try it.

Exactly it. Just another patch job. Lehtonen soft skill D and Babanov soft skilled forward. Just what the leafs need more off

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Where are you getting your information that Babanov is soft? Dude is heavy on his stick and goes hard to the net.

Oz looked good in his highlight video. I want to see what Barabanov looks like on NHL ice vs NHL competition before I form any opinion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He is a player that we hope hits, like we did with Mikheyev last year.

I see him as someone that can fill in and play on the 3rd line and help fill out the Leafs bottom 6 forwards.

Until we see him on NA ice and in action we have to wait and see what type of player we might have here however.

Reactions: ToneDog

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The guy has been on a line with Alex Ovechkin before. So did Leo Komarov. He's been considered a good skater that has been considered tenacious and good at getting the pucks out of the corner. Some of the most successful lines in hockey have had 1. Goal-scorer. 2. Play-maker. 3. That guy who goes into the dirty areas. The Leafs are plenty strong on the first two, low on the third. You play a team like Columbus, they're hard to skate through, you might have to dump the puck in. You're protecting a lead, you might want to dump the puck in rather then a fancy pass that gets picked off. Looking at the current roster, actually think it's his job to lose.

Reactions: aingefan

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I see him as Kap replacement with hopefully bètter IQ. Maybe he is the reason the Kap deal was facilitated. A less brittle Sosh would work too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I saw him as a guy that was signed before Robertson was an option for the Leafs.

I don't see him on the Leafs unless something major happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00