Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Y'all are insane. "Why is this guy doing nothing when he gets no ice time?". Barabanov hasn't had any opportunity to do anything. What were you guys expecting exactly?
Robertson literally played 2 minutes and stood out in a positive way. Engvall was excellent in his only game. It's pretty fair to point out how completely useless he's been and how little he's brought to the team

Reactions: supermann_98

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This guy is nothing special. Doesn’t do anything very well.

he’s quick but not overly quick. His shot is whatever. Isn’t physical and isn’t hard on the puck like Robertson and hes small.

I can forgive size if you have things you do really well but he’s like every other soft skill player we’ve tried inserting in the bottom 6.

Him, Brooks, Vesey can all go for all I care. Soft and do nothing well and not competitive enough.

Simmonds is physical and provides a presence, Mikheyev is stupid fast, big and battles hard. And before he got hurt he had a wicked shot. Engvall is big and stupid fast too. Also battles hard. Kerfoot would be on that list but he’s an NHL centre. Spezza is a big NHL centre.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Keefe is easing him in, let the guy get comfortable before writing him off. He has treaded water so far, I haven't noticed any big mistakes.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
On the Leafs, Alexander Barabanov is 5th in hits/60, 1st in blocked shots/60, and 2nd in Takeaways/60.
His offensive numbers were close to teammate Nail Yakupov, who had 16 points in 58 games in his last
season. I don't think Barabanov is necessarily ever going to be an exciting player to watch. Think you're
looking at 3rd line candidate at the best.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Please fire Barabanov to the moon. I cannot take watching him anymore. I'm not that critical on players...but he is ungood! Was bad tonight, losing constant battles. The first game against Calgary (24th) he lost every single board scrum he was involved in. I get he needs minutes, but he doesn't play hard enough to justify giving him more.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This guy stinks. Has had one memorable shift or play.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Y'all are insane. "Why is this guy doing nothing when he gets no ice time?". Barabanov hasn't had any opportunity to do anything. What were you guys expecting exactly?
Robertson did more in the 2:30 he played before getting hurt than Barabanov has in all of his games played combined

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'm expecting him to do something, ANYTHING with his opportunity, and I know you are going to say he hasn't gotten an opportunity, but every time you step on the ice is an opportunity and he has done NOTHING

Travis Boyd has played 2 games Barabanov has played 6 games, Travis Boyd has actually contributed when he's played, Barabanov hasn't contributed a thing

Reactions: Lumberg

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This type of signing is always a roll of the dice. So far he's trending as below replacement player level. That was always a very possible outcome. For some reason it still isn't recognized that there's a big jump in hockey level from the KHL to the NHL AND the hockey is very different. It can be difficult to project what happens when a mature player jumps a level.

Why it hasn't ended? There was probably a promise of opportunity that still hasn't been completely fulfilled. Sometimes the player himself figures it out and asks out before the opportunity window is closed.

As to the ice time argument, I'm sorry he's a veteran pro. His play should leap out at you in even the smallest sample size.

Reactions: MyHockeyBuddy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm expecting him to do something, ANYTHING with his opportunity, and I know you are going to say he hasn't gotten an opportunity, but every time you step on the ice is an opportunity and he has done NOTHING

Travis Boyd has played 2 games Barabanov has played 6 games, Travis Boyd has actually contributed when he's played, Barabanov hasn't contributed a thing
I'd take Barabanov out at this point for Boyd or Anderson.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think he's trying out there and has had some nice shot blocks an all but hes an undersized guy that seems to lose every board battle he engages and is a black hole offensively so far. He's also been given a pretty good opportunity to this point.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
He’s nothing special. Others players have done a better job to justify staying in the line up over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad