Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Leafs Nation thinking about how to get past the hump in the first round of the playoffs, I wonder how much of an impact an uninitiated rookie will do next spring? One of the underrated problems with the Leafs playoffs failures is we're constantly draining our supply of more experienced players so the new guys have to re-learn those experiences. Hopefully Barabanov is ready out of the box.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Johnsson has to go before Kapanen. And I think you give Kerfoot the boot too. Kapanen might be the last one to go out of the three.

Im willing to bet Kap is gone much before the other two. He didn't show up for the playoffs, and I cant help but feel the coach isnt a big fan of Kap. He has value, Kerfoot is more important due to the position he plays, and Johnsson plays a more scrapy east to west team than Kap. Kap for pics or Kap and Dermott for a right handed d makes sense. Im willing to bet Kap is the first to go, and deemed expendable.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Johnsson has to go before Kapanen. And I think you give Kerfoot the boot too. Kapanen might be the last one to go out of the three.
Kerfoot is 3rd on the trade list to me because he can play center. Trade the 2 wingers before you decide to trade Kerfoot.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Im willing to bet Kap is gone much before the other two. He didn't show up for the playoffs, and I cant help but feel the coach isnt a big fan of Kap. He has value, Kerfoot is more important due to the position he plays, and Johnsson plays a more scrapy east to west team than Kap. Kap for pics or Kap and Dermott for a right handed d makes sense. Im willing to bet Kap is the first to go, and deemed expendable.

It's funny. Kerfoot looks like a toolsy, skilled player who has great skating, and you'd assume he can play up and down the lineup whenever you watch him. But then you forget about him and then later realize he has virtually zero impact on the game.

Kapanen seems limited by his hockey sense to be an elite player, and doesn't work consistently hard enough or have the right mentality to be a true blue collar player.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Id do that trade instantly, not sure the flames would even pick up the phone? lol

I have no idea. I've been interested in picking up Sam Bennett as a reclamation for a while but he's often a lot better than usual in the playoffs. Not sure how Calgary values him...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Id do that trade instantly, not sure the flames would even pick up the phone? lol

Well Bennett hasn't cracked 30 points since his rookie season 5 years ago .. and only had 12 through 50+ games.

I'd be surprised if they were that attached to him these days.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The path seems clearer for Lehtonen in comparison due to the team's blueline situation, but I think Barabanov stands a good chance to make the team as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kerfoot has better underlying numbers than Bennett (I looked specifically at xGF, their xGF% is about even 5v5)

Sam Bennett's regular season track record is a complete washout on every level, so you're not going to find a Moneyball scoop on him. Don't even try.

But he says he loves the playoffs and comes to life in the playoffs and seems like the rare breed who seems to be all over the place in that environment and we lack that personality type. And that's the only reason I want him. Hoping he grows into the player resembling his draft status. Maybe you put him on a line with Nylander and he makes him a more useful regular season player.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Sam Bennett's regular season track record is a complete washout on every level, so you're not going to find a Moneyball scoop on him. Don't even try.

But he says he loves the playoffs and comes to life in the playoffs and seems like the rare breed who seems to be all over the place in that environment. And that's the only reason I want him. Hoping he grows into the player resembling his draft status. Maybe you put him on a line with Nylander and he makes him a more useful regular season player.
He seems like a deadline acquisition (for a mid-round pick) then, to shore up depth for a run. Not gonna trade Kerfoot for him.

Plus I think the Leafs are bringing in Thornton (in addition to resigning Spezza) for more of that veteran experience. Not sure if they need more depth pieces vs actual talent.

Reactions: New Liskeard

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
So the next shiny new toy for fans to get excited about shows up.

Lets see,good write ups,good video,diamond in the rough and our next solid add to the big club.

Been there done that what 20 or so times the last 3 years.
Kappy and Johnsson turned out the best of the long list of shiny new toys and of course everyone says we can move on from them because they got paid and we have guys that can replace them easily and cheaper,20 goal scorers and good PK guys grow on trees in Leafland.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The path seems clearer for Lehtonen in comparison due to the team's blueline situation, but I think Barabanov stands a good chance to make the team as well.

I found it interesting how there was a report; possibly stated by Lehtonen himself, that he likes to play both sides on D and may even prefer the right side? Im interested to see how he does; I think he may have a real shot and could be a dark horse. I haven't written off Rosen either; he is a fantastic skater and can still be a bottom pairing D IMHO.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
So the next shiny new toy for fans to get excited about shows up.

Lets see,good write ups,good video,diamond in the rough and our next solid add to the big club.

Been there done that what 20 or so times the last 3 years.
Kappy and Johnsson turned out the best of the long list of shiny new toys and of course everyone says we can move on from them because they got paid and we have guys that can replace them easily and cheaper,20 goal scorers and good PK guys grow on trees in Leafland.
Welcome to the salary cap era, especially when you have top forward talent. The leafs can replicate what they get from their bottom six right now so they can move all the expensive pieces to replace them with cheaper talent. Pittsburgh has done this for years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He seems like a deadline acquisition (for a mid-round pick) then, to shore up depth for a run. Not gonna trade Kerfoot for him.

Plus I think the Leafs are bringing in Thornton (in addition to resigning Spezza) for more of that veteran experience. Not sure if they need more depth pieces vs actual talent.

Alright, let's get him for a mid round pick if we can.

I don't want Thornton that much. Would prefer Corey Perry, but both would be dumper dives.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think they both make it, and I think Lehtonen becomes Sandin’s partner on the right. The Leafs need to get ran actual talented partner for Rielly, and I’d be ok with sacrificing Dermott to get it (if it’s not Travis playing the right himself)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad