Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So what're everyone's thoughts on him so far?

Personally I think he's a waiver wire type

He hasn't played much, but the 4th line has been heavily caved in so he is not helping much either.

He has to get used to North American ice without any kind of preseason, so I wouldn't give up on him too quickly. The injuries should help him get some more opportunities to play.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So what're everyone's thoughts on him so far?

Personally I think he's a waiver wire type

He hasn't really done much. In fairness, he hasn't received much of an opportunity at all. My way too early guess would be that he walks as a UFA, but... ;)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I've never been a fan of having skilled guys playing on the 4th line because skilled guys need more than 5 minutes a game to be effective, especially when they aren't getting any kind of PP or even PK time. Wouldn't mind possibly seeing him a bit more in the top 6 for like 2-3 games to see if he can make an impact at all.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's like the sixth game of training camp now.

They would have to televise the Leafs practices for most of us to get a hint of what Barabanov is all about.

We sure as heck haven't seen that in the games.

Reactions: Buds17

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
He hasn't really done much. In fairness, he hasn't received much of an opportunity at all. My way too early guess would be that he walks as a UFA, but... ;)

It is way too early. He needs some time to adjust to the NHL. Him and Lehtonen also have an out clause to head back to the KHL should they not receive ample time with the Leafs. If I was a betting man, I'd say Barabanov will end up back there before the season's done. I like what little I've seen from Lehtonen. Barabanov just looks out of place so far. Hopefully he gets a shot on the 2nd line once he settles into the NHL.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It is way too early. He needs some time to adjust to the NHL. Him and Lehtonen also have an out clause to head back to the KHL should they not receive ample time with the Leafs. If I was a betting man, I'd say Barabanov will end up back there before the season's done. I like what little I've seen from Lehtonen. Barabanov just looks out of place so far. Hopefully he gets a shot on the 2nd line once he settles into the NHL.

I'd hope not to lose him during the season as he'd at least be depth. Still, you could very well be right. Not sure I see Barabanov that high up in the lineup. Of course, playing in more games - or playing more in the games he does appear in - would at least represent some sort of better opportunity. Lehtonen seems to be in tough on the blueline as well. He averages a bit more ice time but has had to share the #6 designation. I'd hope for him to stick around for at least the remainder of the season too.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
maybe my expectations were a bit too high, but he's really not done anything to indicate that he can be an NHL caliber player. I'd give him a look with real minutes and then cut him loose if he still looks this useless

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
maybe my expectations were a bit too high, but he's really not done anything to indicate that he can be an NHL caliber player. I'd give him a look with real minutes and then cut him loose if he still looks this useless
I'm basically in the same boat. Other than a few blocks, I can't think of anything noteworthy he has done. He's only been in NA for what? 2 months? Might still need some time to acclimate though.

If he doesn't show anything I would rather the Leafs give Anderson a shot as he could bring some elements we need.

Reactions: Lumberg

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I understand he has had limited ice time but he’s done nothing to make me think he’s better than others we have healthy scratches right now.

Reactions: Lumberg

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I liked him the first game because I was worried about the pace difference with the K and he moved well. It doesn't look like he is thinking at NHL speed yet though. If there was an AHL he seems like a player you might drop down for a few games to let him get some momentum and then give him another look.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He hasn't really done anything, but he hasn't really player either. Doesn't seem to be much purpose to having him, wouldn't be surprised to see him head back to Russia with these minutes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As far as first impression go of what was said to be a prized UFA signing the early results have not all that overwhelming.

Still early and maybe we're in an adjustment period here to the NA game on smaller ice, so hopefully the best is yet to come.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As far as first impression go of what was said to be a prized UFA signing the early results have not all that overwhelming.

Still early and maybe we're in an adjustment period here to the NA game on smaller ice, so hopefully the best is yet to come.
"Prized UFA signing".

Talk about an over reaction.

Reactions: IPS

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Rather have kept Timoshov. He was pretty dymanic in spurts. Barabanov looks fast and engages, maybe he needs more ice time to see what he really is.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Y'all are insane. "Why is this guy doing nothing when he gets no ice time?". Barabanov hasn't had any opportunity to do anything. What were you guys expecting exactly?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Y'all are insane. "Why is this guy doing nothing when he gets no ice time?". Barabanov hasn't had any opportunity to do anything. What were you guys expecting exactly?

Winning a race to the puck. Winning a puck battle.

I dunno. Anything would be nice.

Reactions: supermann_98

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It’s totally rational to base an opinion off of 15 minutes of ice time. That’s such a large sample.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad