Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I saw him as a guy that was signed before Robertson was an option for the Leafs.

I don't see him on the Leafs unless something major happens.

The issue is his fit isn't clear. He's going to be a PP2 guy at best. Doesn't PK like Mikheyev. So what exactly is he? Probably a third/fourth liner with good skill and a willingness to go to the net, but sheltered at ES.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think he gets every chance to earn a top 9 spot, and don't think it's limited to the 3rd line. Wouldn't be surprised to see him him on the left in the top 6. Puck hound with decent skill and willingness to go to the paint fits well.

Admittedly all I'm doing on sight wise is a highlight pack and some WC games.

That and I find it very telling/interesting that he didn't get loaned back to Russia.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I saw him as a guy that was signed before Robertson was an option for the Leafs.

I don't see him on the Leafs unless something major happens.

I think Barabanov might make the team ahead of Robertson in any hypothetical either/or situation. Admittedly, even if that's mainly because he is older and a pending UFA at the end of the season.

Reactions: qqaz and teddygmr

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Can’t stand Perry, and I’d much rather have Thornton tbh. Thornton would be a depth guy like Spezza, bring leadership to a young core and teach them to fight through adversity instead of bending over and taking it

Thornton would be such an amazing add for this group

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think he gets every chance to earn a top 9 spot, and don't think it's limited to the 3rd line. Wouldn't be surprised to see him him on the left in the top 6. Puck hound with decent skill and willingness to go to the paint fits well.

Admittedly all I'm doing on sight wise is a highlight pack and some WC games.

That and I find it very telling/interesting that he didn't get loaned back to Russia.

I believe SKA still own his KHL rights and likely weren't interested in having him back for a partial season.

Reactions: 4thline

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I think Barabanov might make the team ahead of Robertson in any hypothetical either/or situation. Admittedly, even if that's mainly because he is older and a pending UFA at the end of the season.

Ummmmm Barabanov is a RW and Robertson plays LW sooo.. I'm not sure one has all that much bearing on the other..

Reactions: Drew311

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Ummmmm Barabanov is a RW and Robertson plays LW sooo.. I'm not sure one has all that much bearing on the other..

Some of the other wingers can play on either side though. I was thinking of the scenario where none of the other wingers are traded. That would then leave only one opening on the third line. That's not to say this is definitely what I think will happen.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
He can't handle 4C? Hell, Spezza'd be on his wing. You're telling me he's done?

Yeah, i think he's done.. how many 42 year old NHLers have had worthwhile seasons? I'm sure he could play 4 C.. but not the type of player i think the Leafs should play on that line.. id say they should try and toughen up the 4th line, no need for more offence imo, cheers

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Eaten up by the big 4 for me.
Nylander just does not do it for me and I keep thinking how the work ethic and attitude seemed much better when he sat out.
I deal him and keep the other 2 but get why many would not.

I used to post a lot on 2 other sites and just read the comments here.
Since those 2 other sites went from good to awful I decided to post here.
Those other sites if you were not Dubas lovers,lou haters,Nylander lovers,Marner haters or disagreed with anything the majority said you were attacked by a pack of wild dogs.
You bleed Leaf blue and wear the rose coloured glasses no matter what.
In here differing opinions are many and more interesting and there are just a few complete fools and attack dogs.
Haha you are good here bro. Its mixed here as you would expect. Likely much better posters here to a high degree. Everyone has a wee battle and moves on to great info and shootin the sh!t without to much of the nonsense you were getting. Stick around man :)

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I read the title as “Leafs sign Aleksander Barkov” and was super confused. Anyway I totally forgot about this signing but it certainly makes losing Kapanen sting less.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
As much as I'd like to see Sandin make the team for good, I don't know about pairing him with Lehtonen. I'd prefer more of an established presence there to start off with, and if whomever is initially on the outside looking in forces the issue at some point during the season, all the better.

I'm thinking Rielly and Dermott are a pairing as of now. Wouldn't mind a significant enough add to the blueline though at all (ideally meaning someone who can be a complement to Rielly on that pairing).
25/27 mins of derm on the right side a night???

OMFG PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reactions: MJK

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
25/27 mins of derm on the right side a night???

OMFG PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

In fairness, when I made that post, I was thinking Rielly and Muzzin would be the top two in minutes for the blueline by the end of the season. I don't think the top two in that regard necessarily have to be on an ES pairing together for the highest amount of minutes. Pietrangelo potentially being more of a possibility now would be a game changer for the group.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Never heard of this guy but just watched a few videos, first he's small, incredibly fit, great edges, lethal back hand and makes everything look effortless, he looks slippery, he had a few defenders twisted in knots in the videos I watched. Would love to see him against NHL talent.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Never heard of this guy but just watched a few videos, first he's small, incredibly fit, great edges, lethal back hand and makes everything look effortless, he looks slippery, he had a few defenders twisted in knots in the videos I watched. Would love to see him against NHL talent.
Jams the net hard too

Reactions: Bluelines

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So what're everyone's thoughts on him so far?

Personally I think he's a waiver wire type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad