Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is from a Siegel piece in the Athletic. Good to see we continue to be a hot destination.

t64v7oc6i6051.png

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Alexander Barabanov, RW, 26 (KHL)
Barabanov’s stats were unspectacular with SKA St. Petersburg this season, but there’s still a lot to like about his game. Barabanov had 46 points in the KHL last season and has been a jack of all trades for Russia in international play the past few years, so it’s understandable why teams have taken an interest in bringing him over. Barabanov was linked to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Arizona Coyotes earlier this season with others also believed to be in the running, so expect him to move over to the NHL next season and fight for a spot on a team that needs extra speed and two-way reliability.

Ten European free agents who could land NHL deals this summer - TheHockeyNews

Of course you never know what to expect with players coming from other leagues but on a positive note apparently the team knew he was going to leave since the begin of the season and took his minuets away.

Reactions: smitty10 and kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Happy Birthday to our new third line left winger. Guys got seriously great skills and work ethic and Edges that just always keeps him moving as he dangles from what i have watched.

Yesterday was his Birthday and hopefully he spends many more as a Leaf

Reactions: Lauro and kb

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
So where does this guy fit next season? Do we really want another small forward who isn't even proven in our lineup?

If there are no trades involving these players our wings on the 1st 3 lines look like

1. Hyman/Marner
2. Johnsson/Nylander
3. Mikheyev/Robertson/Kapanen

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
So where does this guy fit next season? Do we really want another small forward who isn't even proven in our lineup?

If there are no trades involving these players our wings on the 1st 3 lines look like

1. Hyman/Marner
2. Johnsson/Nylander

Realistically, I think Robertson plays in the A next year. And I would think at least one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Nylander will get moved.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nylander moved for the right price. The guy's skill is unreal and he's probably going to slap up 70 points every year but his intensity and play without the puck is abysmal. Send a message to the team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Realistically, I think Robertson plays in the A next year. And I would think at least one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Nylander will get moved.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nylander moved for the right price. The guy's skill is unreal and he's probably going to slap up 70 points every year but his intensity and play without the puck is abysmal. Send a message to the team.
Well, Robertson can't play in the AHL next year. And he looked fine against Columbus, so I don't know why it's unrealistic for him to play in the regular season

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Kapanen will most likely be dealt... Johnsson too if we find a taker after his injury.
Robertson is an instant replacement for Johnsson. And Johnsson makes 200k more than Kappy. Every cent counts when you're up against it. He's older than Kappy. He doesn't PK like Kappy. And he's smaller / less physical than Kappy. Johnsson is the obvious choice to move imo.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Robertson is an instant replacement for Johnsson. And Johnsson makes 200k more than Kappy. Every cent counts when you're up against it. He's older than Kappy. He doesn't PK like Kappy. And he's smaller / less physical than Kappy. Johnsson is the obvious choice to move imo.
I honestly think both are gone. Only way to clear enough space to truly upgrade the defence. I would obviously deal Johnsson first but not sure he fetches anything due to the knee injury. Kapanen could fetch a good return as well as cap space, and he didn’t impress me this year.

Reactions: Faltorvo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

1. Hyman/Marner
2. Johnsson/Nylander

Why can he not play on the 4th line? He seems to play quite similarly to a guy like Trevor Moore and Moore was a pretty good fit for our 4th line.

He is short but if his scouting reports and highlights are any indication, he is not afraid to play in tight and he is like 200lbs. Not exactly small.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I honestly think both are gone. Only way to clear enough space to truly upgrade the defence. I would obviously deal Johnsson first but not sure he fetches anything due to the knee injury. Kapanen could fetch a good return as well as cap space, and he didn’t impress me this year.
You could very well be right. I'm learning to be okay with change. On a personal level I grow attached to almost all my Leafs. But things aren't working. A shake up is needed. And tbh I don't see it being the big 4 like some people are asking for. Willy just got 31 goals in a shortened season. Guys like that don't grow on trees and I think that's Dubas' philosophy. We need to fill around the edges with more grit and heart. Radko Gudas. Mark Borowiecki. Josh Anderson. We need to surround our big boys with snarl. Guys who are willing to go to war. It's infectious. We have too many people coasting out there. I'm ready to move in from Andersen at 5 mil too and have a Talbot at 2.5m. Ride the hot hand between him and Campbell

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

sucks that his value is so low right now... seems we never part with anyone when their value is at its height. Or we just let them walk into free agency...

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
sucks that his value is so low right now... seems we never part with anyone when their value is at its height. Or we just let them walk into free agency...
He looked good for a first game back. Hopefully people can overlook the injury and look at the body of work. Possibly a big reason we could get a guy like Josh Anderson cheap though. Hometown boy who's coming off injury issues and a down year. I really hope we pounce on him

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Unfortunately, Johnsson will fetch most importantly cap space...<sigh>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->