Post-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens | Saturday, February 23 | No one injured. Night a success.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Bishop may fight the puck at times but he's great at handling dump ins. A big reason we were able to get out of our zone so easily tonight (without Karlsson, mind you) was because of him.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Bishop may fight the puck at times but he's great at handling dump ins. A big reason we were able to get out of our zone so easily tonight (without Karlsson, mind you) was because of him.

i disagree with everything this man says. he sounds like a sabres fan.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Bitterly disappointed Leafs fan here. In peace, obviously.

Absolutely hate the Senators, so tonight is especially tough to take - especially the manner of which it ended up happening. That's hockey though.

What I did want to come by and say though, is that Paul MacLean is sensational; this guy doesn't get enough credit around hockey circles. I don't know if it's because Ottawa just overall doesn't get the same attention as Montreal or Toronto, or because he isn't as outlandish a quote producer as some of the other coaches in the NHL, but he doesn't get enough credit for me.

I spent all day on twitter chirping Sens fans and friends about how much of a big deal has been made over Ottawa injuries, but truth is that's a huge sucker punch. But the fact that he has righted the ship (even if it's only 4-5 games) is really impressive.

Being totally objective, when you look at the Senators roster it's devoid of just pure skill - there aren't too many super skilled players. What MacLean does, is he puts Ottawa on a level playing field with the more skilled teams, because he has you guys working so hard. The gap control and the skating in neutral ice was solid for 2 periods, and the forecheck caused us problems all night. I lost track of how many puck battles my so called "touch" team lost tonight - was maddening as a fan to watch that.

At times we looked like a team of 18 guys that had never played together before, and I think the coach deserves a lot of credit for it.

If I'm awarding the Jack Adams trophy today, it goes straight to Paul MacLean. There's likely a few people in Chicago not happy about that, but you can't ignore what MacLean has done with the hand that he's been dealt. Oh, and that feather duster too.

Oh and it was great to see a good battle in the stands tonight as well - from all accounts of people who went to the game, it sounded as though Sens fans more than handled their own against Leafs Nation. Just adds to the allure of the rivalry moving forward.

Cheers

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Does anyone else get like a douchey vibe from Kadri? I've always felt that... even before he was drafted by TML.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Does anyone else get like a douchey vibe from Kadri? I've always felt that... even before he was drafted by TML.

There's a fire to him. A spirit or determination.

I wouldn't call it douchey or arrogance though.

The kid is still as humble as they come, if you've ever listened to some of his media scrums.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
Man I thought the sens were supposed to take a nosedive after the karlsson injury, nice to see the team work and silence the naysayers. Hope to see you guys in the playoffs.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Bitterly disappointed Leafs fan here. In peace, obviously.

Absolutely hate the Senators, so tonight is especially tough to take - especially the manner of which it ended up happening. That's hockey though.

What I did want to come by and say though, is that Paul MacLean is sensational; this guy doesn't get enough credit around hockey circles. I don't know if it's because Ottawa just overall doesn't get the same attention as Montreal or Toronto, or because he isn't as outlandish a quote producer as some of the other coaches in the NHL, but he doesn't get enough credit for me.

I spent all day on twitter chirping Sens fans and friends about how much of a big deal has been made over Ottawa injuries, but truth is that's a huge sucker punch. But the fact that he has righted the ship (even if it's only 4-5 games) is really impressive.

Being totally objective, when you look at the Senators roster it's devoid of just pure skill - there aren't too many super skilled players. What MacLean does, is he puts Ottawa on a level playing field with the more skilled teams, because he has you guys working so hard. The gap control and the skating in neutral ice was solid for 2 periods, and the forecheck caused us problems all night. I lost track of how many puck battles my so called "touch" team lost tonight - was maddening as a fan to watch that.

At times we looked like a team of 18 guys that had never played together before, and I think the coach deserves a lot of credit for it.

If I'm awarding the Jack Adams trophy today, it goes straight to Paul MacLean. There's likely a few people in Chicago not happy about that, but you can't ignore what MacLean has done with the hand that he's been dealt. Oh, and that feather duster too.

Oh and it was great to see a good battle in the stands tonight as well - from all accounts of people who went to the game, it sounded as though Sens fans more than handled their own against Leafs Nation. Just adds to the allure of the rivalry moving forward.

Cheers

Thanks for the post. MacLean is definitely under-appreciated. He's done wonders with the team, from the injuries to keeping the team focused on the task at hand. He hasn't allowed the team to get too high or too low, and he's trusting all of the players.

It was a great game tonight. Both teams had some great chances, but I agree the Sens outworked the Leafs tonight.

The atmosphere at the 'Bank was great. Both fans were vocal, yet people were very cordial. There weren't any skirmishes that I witnessed. Yet, it made for a great time at the 'Bank.

I thought Z-bad's line was great all night. They only had one shift that I can remember where they were bottled up in their own end, but they did a great job defensively and creating chances on the offensive (which goes without saying).

Turris played a very good game. He was around the puck all night and his defensive work was excellent.

I thought Smith did a great job defensively on Kessel and Van Riemsdyk.

Benoit was solid. Probably was the team's best defenceman tonight. He had some good chances offensively and was sound defensively.

The worst Senator IMO was Chris Phillips. He made several mistakes - from poor pinches to getting caught flat footed in the neutral zone and in his own zone on at least 3 occasions to being overly aggressively defensively and getting caught near the blueline, which led to the tying goal. He had a really rough night.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll admit that the drunken obnoxiousness was at a manageable level.

It was a close game.

If things had gotten out of hand, I'm not sure what would have happened.

In any event, nice ending. The place was packed so the disappointment was tangible.

If it had been a blowout, one or the other team's fans would have been in short supply.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Lets have fun.

Anyone wearing a Leafs jersey gets non alcoholic beer but they are not told. Then watch how they act to see if it's the alcohol making them boorish.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
3t4alb.jpg

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec

No idea what Smith was trying to do here. Was he trying to fight Kadri? Trying to do the ole fake glove drop?

Pretty embarrassing for him to do that to some small finesse player either way. We'd be saying the same thing if a leaf tough guy did that to Silfverberg or something. I don't find it funny. Plus Neil is the only one to get a penalty out of all that, so antics like that do nothing for the team. Perhaps Neil and Smith should start showing some aggression towards opponents and actually stick up for teammates instead of acting like kids in the schoolyard or smashing sticks inside the penalty box.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
No idea what Smith was trying to do here. Was he trying to fight Kadri? Trying to do the ole fake glove drop?

Pretty embarrassing for him to do that to some small finesse player either way. We'd be saying the same thing if a leaf tough guy did that to Silfverberg or something. I don't find it funny. Plus Neil is the only one to get a penalty out of all that, so antics like that do nothing for the team. Perhaps Neil and Smith should start showing some aggression towards opponents and actually stick up for teammates instead of acting like 12 year olds or smashing sticks inside the penalty box.

I thought it was pretty funny. Kadri is one of those arrogant type of players, Smith is just trying to get him off his game.

I mean this was almost Rutuu level, whom we all loved.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Pretty embarrassing for him to do that to some small finesse player either way. We'd be saying the same thing if a leaf tough guy did that to Silfverberg or something. I don't find it funny. Plus Neil is the only one to get a penalty out of all that, so antics like that do nothing for the team. Perhaps Neil and Smith should start showing some aggression towards opponents and actually stick up for teammates instead of acting like kids in the schoolyard or smashing sticks inside the penalty box.

Hes doing what all agitators do. Agitating the easily annoyed and skilled players.

This happens every game...

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I found it hilarious. And so did all my friends who are Canucks fans. Smith is a tough guy, maybe an agitator one might say. It can be his job to get under the oppositions skin to throw off key/star players. I have no problem with this. Many other teams employ the same style players. Just ask Canucks fans how they feel about Brad Marchand. It is what it is. I love it. It's not like he sucker punched Kadri or was feeding him punches.. He was just agitating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad