Post-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens | Saturday, February 23 | No one injured. Night a success.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Some of the last posts from the GDT:

It felt like such a playoff atmosphere when I was leaving the building. High-fives from random people, group chants of many, stepped outside and found myself in the middle of around 5 or 6 other Sens fans just jumping around chanting "Go Sens Go".

Ahhh, feels good, man. It feels good.

Watching Leaf fans leave the building en masse with 30 seconds left was as glorious as it sounds.

No, more glorious than it sounds.

Watching on tv, it felt like the building wasn't in Toronto for the first time in a long time.

Please stop bragging.

Awesome!! Over on the leaf board, it's a whole other take on it:

:laugh:

I'm filling up with a good bubbly feeling thinking about it.

Kessel you mean? I don't remember seeing Kadri with the puck on his stick. Maybe I missed it. :dunno:

It was Kessel that won the BOO BIRDS award.

You are right, it was Kessel derision.

Just got back from the game.

Great atmosphere, great result.

They are out there. On the highways of Ontario, silent and reflective in their bitter contemplation of a night that began with so much promise. While the journey there passed in but an instant, the long road home in the dark is a lonely one, with only passing headlights to keep them company. But in them there is no solace to find.

Suck it.

Sens fans were loud and proud, I won't be able to talk for days.

balaclava brian

Dec 25, 2011
Zibanejad had an excellent game. I really hope this kid has turned a corner and has started to advance to another level.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Zibanejad has so much development left yet still looking great. Wouldn't mind Benoit on the team next year on the 3rd pairing.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Zibanejad had an excellent game. I really hope this kid has turned a corner and has started to advance to another level.

I really think he has. He's doing everything very well on the ice. He's been a slow learner but given that he is still so young I only see an upswing in his future.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Futurama-BenderPimpStrut.gif

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
We aren't?

Originally Posted by AndrePetersson
Please stop bragging.

Verb 1. gloat - dwell on with satisfaction gloat - dwell on with satisfaction
crow, triumph
boast, brag, gasconade, shoot a line, vaunt, tout, gas, bluster, swash, blow - show off
preen, congratulate - pride or congratulate (oneself) for an achievement

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We won we won we won :naughty:

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Verb 1. gloat - dwell on with satisfaction gloat - dwell on with satisfaction
crow, triumph
boast, brag, gasconade, shoot a line, vaunt, tout, gas, bluster, swash, blow - show off
preen, congratulate - pride or congratulate (oneself) for an achievement

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We won we won we won :naughty:
I was talking to CH, because he was bragging about being at the game. :p:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Back from SBP

man, what a game. Real gutsy performance by the guys. It wasnt as pretty as a game with our stars would be, but the sens looked like the better team most of the night, completely outworking the other team. Kudos to the coaching staff as well, it's clear that they were the better staff in preparation for tonight.

The game had, IMO, about 8000 leafs fans out of the 19499 announced attendance, with a heavy concentration towards the upper bowl obviously. I also noted a few suites full of leafers. That said, the sens fans went hard all night, matching the fan intensity easily. I was on the 300 sides, in a section that was probably 60-65% leafs fans. Very proud of the fellow sens fans in the section that counter-cheered them all night. To the credit of the leafs fans, at least in my section, even though the majority were piss drunk as usual, they were not confrontational and other than profanity issues, very respectful. This was probably a function of the game being so close and see-sawing all night, but for tonight at least, they were fine. I'll also mention that in the first period, a very distinct "oh ah silfverberg" could be heard for a while when he was on the ice from somewhere around the 300's behind the leafs net.

Back to the game:
- Alfredsson had a very very good night. Just solid all around and leading the attack quite often.
- Bishop looked a bit shakey on his glove hand, missing a few pucks (but still making the save by deflecting it). I expected after noticing it that the leafs would shoot glove more often, but didnt notice a real adjustment.
- Solid job by our patchwork defense. Yes, there were a couple of mistakes and giveaways, but overall the entire group deserves a big pat on the back. Extra applause for benoit on that block, sens fans went wild for him there.

leafs:
-scrivens has serious rebound control issues.
-kessel was the most dangerous player on the ice from both teams. You could tell he was the only real star player in the game. To their credit, the sens defense did a good job taking the pass away from him, and bishop did the rest.
-leafs defense looked really lost at some times. Gunnarson was the worst i think, but phaneuf, especially early, had a ton of giveaways defensively and misplays at the blue line offensively.

all in all, a great game. I was extremely worried knowing our injury situation, and not expecting much, but the guys really delivered. Cant wait to pick up my free big mac tommorow. Also, big props to the sens sound guys for playing song2 as the goal song for the winner and for after the final horn. Really made the game feel like a sens playoff game.

edit:
also, looking at hf, it seems many leafs fans are griping about the officiating. Being in a majority leafs fans section, i can say that this was a complete non-issue to the fans watching at the rink. I dont know if the commentators were influencing leafs fans at home or they're just being homers, but really, that's not the reason they lost at all. A few may have complained about goalie interference on the second goal, and that kadri "trip" was barely noticed by the fans around me. The biggest gripe about officiating i heard from them was about the linesmen being primadonnas on the faceoffs.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Great game, my first live game as an out of towner. Honestly didn't expect too much with all the injuries. The crowd was awesome after all I'd heard I expected to be drowned out by leaf fans.

Dana Scully

I want to believe.
Dec 3, 2005
Ottawa
Leafs post game thread is hilarious.

Saying we're obsessed with them and that's why a couple posters went over there and said something.

I guess they missed the group of Leafs fans who were here BEFORE the game, but somehow disappeared afterwards. :laugh:

But yes, the obsession is one sided. Whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Back from SBP

man, what a game. Real gutsy performance by the guys. It wasnt as pretty as a game with our stars would be, but the sens looked like the better team most of the night, completely outworking the other team. Kudos to the coaching staff as well, it's clear that they were the better staff in preparation for tonight.

The game had, IMO, about 8000 leafs fans out of the 19499 announced attendance, with a heavy concentration towards the upper bowl obviously. I also noted a few suites full of leafers. That said, the sens fans went hard all night, matching the fan intensity easily. I was on the 300 sides, in a section that was probably 60-65% leafs fans. Very proud of the fellow sens fans in the section that counter-cheered them all night. To the credit of the leafs fans, at least in my section, even though the majority were piss drunk as usual, they were not confrontational and other than profanity issues, very respectful. This was probably a function of the game being so close and see-sawing all night, but for tonight at least, they were fine. I'll also mention that in the first period, a very distinct "oh ah silfverberg" could be heard for a while when he was on the ice from somewhere around the 300's behind the leafs net.

24832140.jpg

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I was talking to CH, because he was bragging about being at the game. :p:

Just like a girl to spoil my joke... party pooper. ;)

So glad to see that:
- Greening got the message and repeated it in his interviews.
- ZBad is showing the reason for his high draft ranking
- Turris looks great despite not scoring. The pressure of playing on the top line will help his development
- Silfv is a steal. Great 2 way game.
- Our D may not contribute as much offensively but are much better than expected defensively
- All things considered our goal tending is superb compared to other years
- Loving the big Bingo guys on 3rd-4th lines. This opportunity will advance them too
- Different guys are contributing and that's how this team can win.
- Almost forgot.... Phaneuf sucks... Leafs suck.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I've always liked Gryba and thought he should have been called up sooner but he's much better than even I thought he would be. Could he handle top four minutes over a full season I wonder?

With Gryba, Wiercioch and Benoit all looking NHL capable we should be able to concentrate on upgrading our top six forwards in the offseason.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Leafs post game thread is hilarious.

Saying we're obsessed with them and that's why a couple posters went over there and said something.

I guess they missed the group of Leafs fans who were here BEFORE the game, but somehow disappeared afterwards. :laugh:

But yes, the obsession is one sided. Whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

I just can't get enough of those Leafs!

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Last saturday, Leafs fans were saying this:

We are missing a top 2 defenseman (Gunnarsson) too... when Erik Karlsson was mentioned.

Tonight:

Gunnarsson sucks.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll give a shoutout to Turris who really brought it tonight.

Lots of Leaf fans, sure, I was in 325 F, but it was very satisfactory in the end.

Sens outshot the Leafs for the most part, and for all the talk about how "tough" the Leafs were, the Sens more than matched them with big hits.

Close game, that 2nd period was very entertaining, but Sens came up huge at the end, despite the advantage in PPs that the Leafs got.

Nice to see the Sens fans representing tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad