Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Red Wings Feb 1, 7:30pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
More....

The Leafs have nine fewer powerplay opportunities than any other team. What on earth is going on here? I’m willing to put part of the blame on the officiating, but there seems to be more to this. Opposing teams certainly don’t want to face Toronto’s power play, but they don’t want to face Tampa Bay or Colorado with the man advantage, either, and both of these teams have no problems drawing penalties.
I don’t want to spend the assets to acquire Wayne Simmonds or Micheal Ferland at the deadline, but I wouldn’t mind adding some type of agitator. Mason Marchment is elite at getting under his opponent’s skin and he has outstanding chemistry with Trevor Moore, so this could be an outside-of-the-box solution. Let’s hope that the lack of power play opportunities thus far is just a fluke.

Last edited:
Reactions: D00bis

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
More....

The Leafs have nine fewer powerplay opportunities than any other team. What on earth is going on here? I’m willing to put part of the blame on the officiating, but there seems to be more to this. Opposing teams certainly don’t want to face Toronto’s power play, but they don’t want to face Tampa Bay or Colorado with the man advantage, either, and both of these teams have no problems drawing penalties.
I don’t want to spend the assets to acquire Wayne Simmonds or Micheal Ferland at the deadline, but I wouldn’t mind adding some type of agitator. Mason Marchment is elite at getting under his opponent’s skin and he has outstanding chemistry with Trevor Moore, so this could be an outside-of-the-box solution. Let’s hope that the lack of power play opportunities thus far is just a fluke.

I've been saying it for a long time... and people can chirp me all they want and say I'm being bias... because yes the Leafs are my favourite and only team... but the refs are a joke. This much talent and 9 less then any other team... that's bullshit.

I agree the effort level isn't always there to draw them as much as they should... but it seems pretty obvious during Leaf games the refs just let things slide.

I'm usually fine with that... but the Leafs are more then good enough... that they should of had a lot more opportunities in my opinion.

Maybe a better way to really dig this up is during Leaf games... how many penalties are called during the game for both teams ... and compare that to each team around the league for all their games played.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
More....

Yeah, it's so obvious that the refs are against the Leafs in that department but I don't think it would make much of a difference as our PP has been so horrible over the last 14 games, we've got a measly 3 PP goals. Something has got to change with our PP approach, we play better 5 on 5.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yeah, it's so obvious that the refs are against the Leafs in that department but I don't think it would make much of a difference as our PP has been so horrible over the last 14 games, we've got a measly 3 PP goals. Something has got to change with our PP approach, we play better 5 on 5.

Yeah to have the firepower we do, and to be so horrific is inexcusable

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man, it's about time for some hockey again.

That's a bit odd. The 4F1D constellation has much better results across the board. Almost no teams use two d-men anymore, and outside Nashville those teams just don't have a lot of talent, and their PPs are not very great.

The bomb from the point is more impressive than it is effective.

Burns and Karlsson!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
More....

The forwards don’t cycle like some other teams and they’ve been checked by just getting between them and the net. They’ll draw more enslaves if the fight for space between defender and the puck.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Yeah to have the firepower we do, and to be so horrific is inexcusable

Everything was working great for the first 35 games so I feel they got cocky about it and now try to be too pretty with the passing, and Matthews just doesn't have the aim or power in his shot these days (as was displayed in the All-star skills accuracy). Isn't it funny that when the PP went dry, shortly after their record is 4-7 in 11 games. This has to change, how can we make a serious run in the playoffs if we are that bad with the extra man.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Apparently Red Kelly's number is being retired tomorrow by the Wings, so puck probably doesn't drop until 8 I imagine. My question is, why the hell was his number not already retired? The man's a legend and he retired 52 years ago.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Andersen finna come out the gates with a boom and groom! And we get the first win after the sucka brake1!!! We rock the earth and get what we want! The money, the power, the cars and the personel!!! We doin it and we do what we want! Because of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :money: :dollar: :power: :wealth: :fans: :fan: Most fans in the world! BALL!!!!!

Reactions: Mugzy97

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Nice to see Rielly is on the right, he can definitely play that side with his speed and puck moving ability. Let Muzzin play where he is best and most comfortable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So safe to say Holl will be put on waivers when Ennis gets back, considering he's practicing as a forward

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wish we went with Gardiner/Hainsey and Dermott/Zaitsev but otherwise, I'm excited to see how the defense plays.

Hainsey no longer on the top pairing will make such a difference

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Nice to see Rielly is on the right, he can definitely play that side with his speed and puck moving ability. Let Muzzin play where he is best and most comfortable.
With the way Mo rushes the puck, his pairing ends up pretty fluid regardless. Just nice to have a high quality player beside him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad