Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Red Wings Feb 1, 7:30pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I like how it adds two completely different power play options. Can base the 2nd power play unit around points shots, tips, rebounds etc while the first unit looks for the nicer passing plays.
That sounds good but it probably means that pp unit#1 will get only 50 to 60 seconds....imo that puts too much pressure on them........almost all other teams give the first unit the vast majority of the pp time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That sounds good but it probably means that pp unit#1 will get only 50 to 60 seconds....imo that puts too much pressure on them........almost all other teams give the first unit the vast majority of the pp time.
Give them like a minute 15 or a minute 30 then put the 2nd unit on for a rest. The 2nd unit just ripping pucks on net as much as possible for the rest of the time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock doesn't feel overly thrilled with the idea of running with 5 LHDs. Maybe, just maybe, he could sit out Hainsey for Ozhiganov or Holl? Naaaaaaah...

Reactions: Liminality

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson won't stay on the 4th line........he should bump Marleau.
If it were up to me I'd have Johnsson and Moore as my top 2 left wingers..
And have Kadri,Brown and Hyman as a true shutdown 3rd line..
But none of that will happen with this coach..

I'm honestly beyond shocked to see Nylander on the left side. He did his best work on left wing prior to coming to the NHL but for some inexplicable reason in his 3 years here he was NEVER even tried there despite our lack of depth on LW.

I mean the PP has needed modifications for a very long time, our lack of a weak-side shooting threat is so f***ing obvious yet our coaching staff insists that Matthews and Nylander stay on their strong sides.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Babcock doesn't feel overly thrilled with the idea of running with 5 LHDs. Maybe, just maybe, he could sit out Hainsey for Ozhiganov or Holl? Naaaaaaah...

That's why I think they'll still make a trade.

Maybe something like... a 4th, Brown, and Marincin... for Gudas and a 6th.

Drop down a couple rounds (we have 2 4ths though and we don't have a 6th). . Hurts a bit... but you get a decent RD... lose a LD... and Philly get some value from Brown plus the 4th.

Salary going out 2.9 million

Coming in 3.35 million

Only add 0.435 in salary. We have performance bonuses so I know that's a factor. Might not work perfect but something like this.

Maybe value is way off... but Just spit balling.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
sure Brown has been playing well but why not

Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
?

Kadri plays better with a strong forechecker on his line IMO. He and Brown looked the most energized I've seen in years playing with Willey against Washington. The way that 3rd line played last game I wouldn't break them up either. I would prefer Johnsson over Hyman/Marleau with Matthews/Tavares but this is Babcock one of those guys won't play on the 4th line.

Reactions: PromisedLand

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I detect some subtle shade at management here.

But what could he be 'shady' about?

He loves Rielly... he likes Gardiner and Muzzin... I'd think he likes Dermott, especially what he's done at a young age...

If you were Babcock, who would you want gone?

Reactions: Liminality

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
But what could he be 'shady' about?

He loves Rielly... he likes Gardiner and Muzzin... I'd think he likes Dermott, especially what he's done at a young age...

If you were Babcock, who would you want gone?

I think he likes them individually, I don't think he likes the general idea that we went out and traded for another LHD.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I'll take Rielly playing his offside over Hainsey.

Regardless of how Babcock feels, Muzzin is a significant upgrade for our D.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Really excited to see how the new defense is going to look :DD. Although it might take a few games to click, still hoping I’ll see an improvement.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Have to take advantage of our games in hand on the Habs and Bruins. They're each only one point behind but have played two more games.

January was a really shitty month for this team, hopefully February is the opposite.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think he likes them individually, I don't think he likes the general idea that we went out and traded for another LHD.

Babcock is a highly paid experienced coach
He just got a massive personnel upgrade for the defense

There's no such thing as perfect but Babcock's situation looks pretty sweet right now

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Our defense looks so much better now. I think Hainsey will be a lot more effective with less and more selective minutes. Excited to see how Muzzin will play but we should all temper our expectations. Adjusting to a new system/coach can take some time. Having a legit top pairing is something we haven’t had in a long time.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Babcock is a highly paid experienced coach
He just got a massive personnel upgrade for the defense

There's no such thing as perfect but Babcock's situation looks pretty sweet right now
I don't think he's throwing shade at management at all. I don't think anything was done here that would likely annoy Babcock. The things that are likely to annoy him are smaller things, such as being forced to keep guys on the roster who he doesn't want because the GM values them and they can't clear waivers. Or, his hand being forced into playing a guy he doesn't really want to (Sparks/McElhenny).

Babcock may be stubborn and believe he's the smartest guy, but he's not dumb. He knows how hard it is to get a top 4 RHD, and Muzzin fills everything he wants outside of being Right-handed. He's played Rielly in spurts on his off-side this year (Gardiner hates being lined up on the right), and that pairing generally is generating a ton of chances (although, it also tends to happen when we are chasing a game, and score-effects run a bit rampant). He won a cup with all LHD. In an ideal world would he have a split 50/50 D, absolutely. That's why he makes a small talent sacrifice with Team Canada when he has such ridiculous choices (which is one of the reasons he played Muzzin and J-Bo over Subban, along with their lower risk profile). He knows the Leafs aren't team Canada, and there are only so many top 4 D that are able to be acquired.

Reactions: Liminality and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think he's throwing shade at management at all. I don't think anything was done here that would likely annoy Babcock. The things that are likely to annoy him are smaller things, such as being forced to keep guys on the roster who he doesn't want because the GM values them and they can't clear waivers. Or, his hand being forced into playing a guy he doesn't really want to (Sparks/McElhenny).

Babcock may be stubborn and believe he's the smartest guy, but he's not dumb. He knows how hard it is to get a top 4 RHD, and Muzzin fills everything he wants outside of being Right-handed. He's played Rielly in spurts on his off-side this year (Gardiner hates being lined up on the right), and that pairing generally is generating a ton of chances (although, it also tends to happen when we are chasing a game, and score-effects run a bit rampant). He won a cup with all LHD. In an ideal world would he have a split 50/50 D, absolutely. That's why he makes a small talent sacrifice with Team Canada when he has such ridiculous choices (which is one of the reasons he played Muzzin and J-Bo over Subban, along with their lower risk profile). He knows the Leafs aren't team Canada, and there are only so many top 4 D that are able to be acquired.

I'm not throwing shade at Babcock, I think he's going to be pretty happy when he looks down the bench and sees Muzzin ready to go over the boards instead of Hainsey

Ideally you'd have a mix of left and right but management can only do so much in that regard, I think the fan base and Babcock are pretty happy with the front office boys right now

Babcock will make it work

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Have to take advantage of our games in hand on the Habs and Bruins. They're each only one point behind but have played two more games.

January was a really ****ty month for this team, hopefully February is the opposite.

This is a huge game tonight. We were terrible for a long time until the WSH game, then we had a big break, we picked up Muzzin so how bad we were for a while there is all forgotten right? Winning tonight is expected, it'll be like that bad stretch never happened. If we lose though then watch out! Boston and Montreal are just one point behind us and the next day is PIT ...

Huge game. GLG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->