Leafs MVP

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Sorry, I can't give it to Dion.

His 6.5m cap hit takes away from his MVP value in no small way.

Best thing i would say is.

He is starting to play up to his and the leagues 8th highest D cap hit.

For me thats not MVP, nor praise worthy, if anything ,it's the least i demand from my Capitan and highest paid player.

Oh please give it up with his cap hit. He is not the only player in the league that may be overpaid and I say MAY. Calgary flames gave him that contract. What do you think he would get in free agency. There are at least 10 teams that would gladly pay him 6.5 million, again in free agency.

#1 dman who is scoring at a 50 point pace, plays 26-28 minutes a night against the top players on EVERY team . Hits, Fights and makes two AHL dmen have jobs in the NHL>

If every player was paid on what you or I think is their ability then there would be a whole lot of players making less.

I know you dont like phaneuf I just havent figured out why you are so negative toward him, . Yet you dont ever give him credit when he does something good, just bring a meaningless stat like cap hit.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Hypothetical situation:

Going into the first round would you rather be missing Kadri or Phaneuf for the first 4 games?

(for those of you that like to change parameters, pretend these are the only options)

I'd rather miss Kadri. :hides:

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
I don't think the MVP award has ever been given while taking someone's salary into consideration... Ridiculous.

Maybe start a thread about most cost-efficient if you like. Seems more appropriate to your arguments.

That said I have to say Phaneuf. Once Carlyle got his minutes under control he's been fantastic.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Hypothetical situation:

Going into the first round would you rather be missing Kadri or Phaneuf for the first 4 games?

(for those of you that like to change parameters, pretend these are the only options)

Its pretty simple actually

If season ended today we would be playing Boston.

If kadri was out for the first four games we have lupul,kessel,jvr,kulemin,
who could score and make it a series

If dion was out who would you like to play 26-28 minutes a night against lucic,horton
Gunnarsson would get eaten alive by these tough guys, same goes for franson,liles,gardiner,Kotska, the only one tough enough would be fraser and would you want him playing 26-28 minutes a game.

The answer my friends is We cannot think about losing dion!:amazed:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hypothetical situation:

In your scenario most missed would be,

Phaneuf
Reimer
Kessel/Kadri - close but I'd lean to Kessel

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'd say, most of them for the most part,yes.

Here's how Phaneuf ranks league wide vs the d-men making more than him in some categories considered important to the position.

Name|PTS|TOI/GP|Hits|BS
Suter|2|1|134|70
Weber|7|6|20|19
Campbell|9|3|212|59
Phaneuf|10|7|7|35
Boyle|26|40|159|58
Bouwmeester|27|14|111|74
Doughty|33|4|6|127
Chara|36|15|19|66

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hypothetical situation:

I'd rather miss Kadri, no doubts about it.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com

If season ended today we would be playing Boston.

If kadri was out for the first four games we have lupul,kessel,jvr,kulemin,
who could score and make it a series

If dion was out who would you like to play 26-28 minutes a night against lucic,horton
Gunnarsson would get eaten alive by these tough guys, same goes for franson,liles,gardiner,Kotska, the only one tough enough would be fraser and would you want him playing 26-28 minutes a game.

The thought is terrifying.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Oh please give it up with his cap hit. He is not the only player in the league that may be overpaid and I say MAY. Calgary flames gave him that contract. What do you think he would get in free agency. There are at least 10 teams that would gladly pay him 6.5 million, again in free agency.

#1 dman who is scoring at a 50 point pace, plays 26-28 minutes a night against the top players on EVERY team . Hits, Fights and makes two AHL dmen have jobs in the NHL>

If every player was paid on what you or I think is their ability then there would be a whole lot of players making less.

I know you dont like phaneuf I just havent figured out why you are so negative toward him, . Yet you dont ever give him credit when he does something good, just bring a meaningless stat like cap hit.

I don't like Dion?

Care to back that up!

If you have a problem with me demanding that our Captain and highest paid player earn his 6.5m cap hit, tough.

I hold every Leaf to that standard, you earn what you are paid or the team fails in the long run.

Do i find it praise worthy that a player, gawd forbid, actually earn his pay? No, i don't.

I'm thankful when they do, but i sure as heck ain't gonna go gaga over it.

Maybe it's been so long for you to actually see a Leaf earn his pay that you have forgotten what it looks like.:)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think the MVP award has ever been given while taking someone's salary into consideration... Ridiculous.

Maybe start a thread about most cost-efficient if you like. Seems more appropriate to your arguments.

That said I have to say Phaneuf. Once Carlyle got his minutes under control he's been fantastic.

I'm only using it as a tie breaker on this team. Kadri vs Dion.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Here's how Phaneuf ranks league wide vs the d-men making more than him in some categories considered important to the position.

Name|PTS|TOI/GP|Hits|BS
Suter|2|1|134|70
Weber|7|6|20|19
Campbell|9|3|212|59
Phaneuf|10|7|7|35
Boyle|26|40|159|58
Bouwmeester|27|14|111|74
Doughty|33|4|6|127
Chara|36|15|19|66

Yup, like i said, it's nice to see Dion finally playing up to his contract.

Still does not change my view that his retirement ,8 year contract cannot/should not be styled to cap hit him in the 15th range, around where Keith is. 6.5m cap should be reserved for the likes of Karlsson.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yup, like i said, it's nice to see Dion finally playing up to his contract.

Still does not change my view that his retirement ,8 year contract cannot/should not be styled to cap hit him in the 15th range, around where Keith is. 6.5m cap should be reserved for the likes of Karlsson.

The point wasn't whether he was playing up to his contract, the point was do you think any of those other guys are more deserving of their team MVP or even the slightest praise because statistically, he's doing better than most of those who are paid more than he is (and some of those are considered Norris finalist types). You claim he is doing "the least you would expect". Given what the others are doing versus their superior pay, I would assume it is fair to say you feel most of them aren't even meeting the minimum you would expect of them?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Reimer's not in net and Kadri was still in the AHL this would be a lottery team just like last year, when they had Phaneuf and Kessel for the full season. Statistically the later two are performing as they did last year, so its a 2 player race here.

So the reason a team would improve is through change, as doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is what Einstein referred to as "insanity".

However I think the real team MVP this year is Carlyle as he has made the biggest difference of all.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hypothetical situation:

The answers?
I'd rather miss Kadri. :hides:

I'd rather miss Kadri, no doubts about it.

The team would miss Phanuef more than Kadri.

Kadri.

We lose Dion and we're toast.

Which is why Phaneuf is our MVP

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If Reimer's not in net and Kadri was still in the AHL this would be a lottery team just like last year, when they had Phaneuf and Kessel for the full season. Statistically the later two are performing as they did last year, so its a 2 player race here.

So the reason a team would improve is through change, as doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is what Einstein referred to as "insanity".

However I think the real team MVP this year is Carlyle as he has made the biggest difference of all.

I think your last sentence kind of goes against the other points you're making, since Phaneuf is clearly fitting into Carlyle's system much more efficiently than he ever would have with Wilson. Carlyle needs a player like Dion for his system to work, that minute gobbling 2-way defenseman with a physical side. Obviously I would take Reimer over Scrivens any day, but the fact that Ben could put up similar numbers to Reimer makes me think that James is a big benefactor to the new look of the defense corps. I can't argue with Kadri's contributions though, the kid is unreal.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't like Dion?

Care to back that up!

If you have a problem with me demanding that our Captain and highest paid player earn his 6.5m cap hit, tough.

I hold every Leaf to that standard, you earn what you are paid or the team fails in the long run.

Do i find it praise worthy that a player, gawd forbid, actually earn his pay? No, i don't.

I'm thankful when they do, but i sure as heck ain't gonna go gaga over it.

Maybe it's been so long for you to actually see a Leaf earn his pay that you have forgotten what it looks like.:)

His pay has nothing to do with whether or not Dion is the MVP of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00