Leafs MVP

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The only half-intelligent thing Bill Watters ever said,

"Goaltending is 80% of the game. Unless you don't have it, then it's 100%."

That's why I say Reimer. Kadri has been unbelievable but still....

The only reason i can't give it to Reims is Scrivs, he has posted pretty much the same numbers, other then wins and that could just be bad circumstances.

That said, I'm not 100% sold it's more about the tenders then the team in front or is it a 50/50 split?.

Last edited:

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Reimer's gotta take the bull by the horns. We play Lundqvist back-to-back. This is Reimer's chance to outduel the best goaltender in the nhl and put some serious distance between us and them. If he's our mvp, he will do it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
you can say that about Reimer - take away some of the games he has stolen for us and the same thing applies.

You can say the same thing about dion - take away the games he has scored and shut down the other teams superstar and we wouldnt be in the playoffs.

I'm loving kadri and what he brings to the team but he has played sheltered minutes ,even RC has said as much. Could we still win without kadri - I think so

could we still win without dion - well like i said before who could replace his minutes.

Look I think we are in a very good position becasue we now have skilled players on every line and on D. We have a pretty nice core who compliment each other

Phaneuf,Kessel,Kadri,Mclement,Lupul,Reimer in my opinion these guys are our core.

Sorry, I can't give it to Dion.

His 6.5m cap hit takes away from his MVP value in no small way.

Best thing i would say is.

He is starting to play up to his and the leagues 8th highest D cap hit.

For me thats not MVP, nor praise worthy, if anything ,it's the least i demand from my Capitan and highest paid player.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Why is everyone (most) talking hypoheticals, we should judge on what has already happened.

Its Kadri AINEC. Reimer's been good, but had been injured and we did well without him.
- Phaneuf people forget too easily was pretty bad for the first half of the season, Franson was 10x more effective. He has only recently picked up his play.
- Kadri has played consistantly well throughout the season.

Fans want to make it close, but it really isn't. Kadri AINEC.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

For me thats not MVP, nor praise worthy, if anything ,it's the least i demand from my Capitan and highest paid player.

Would you wager that any of those ahead of him are playing up to their contracts?

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Why is everyone (most) talking hypoheticals, we should judge on what has already happened.

Its Kadri AINEC. Reimer's been good, but had been injured and we did well without him.
- Phaneuf people forget too easily was pretty bad for the first half of the season, Franson was 10x more effective. He has only recently picked up his play.

Are you talking about me? I said Kadri was my mvp in a previous post.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Just because he wasn't getting points doesn't mean he was pretty bad. I thought he's been pretty solid all year.

I can't even argue with people that say Kadri is the MVP, a strong case can be made for both Kadri and Reimer.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
No love for Kulemen????
Dude plays harder/more important minutes than McClement.

If you had to scratch either off the line-up card for tonight I would rather be without McClement.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
No love for Kulemen????

If you had to scratch either off the line-up card for tonight I would rather be without McClement.

McClement and Kulie would be 1/2 for the Leaf Selke lol

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No love for Kulemen????

I'd have to scratch Kuli ,sorry.

McLem is the #1C on the leagues #4 pk team = priceless.

Ya ,Ya, Kuli is the #1 winger but C>>>Wing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Lupul had been healthy all season and played consistently at the level he has displayed thus far, it would be him without question.

Based on the players that have been healthy, I would nominate the following players:

1. Phaneuf

2. Kadri

3. Reimer

It's worth noting that Phaneuf is probably the most under appreciated player on this forum. If he was out for an extended period of time, his absence would hurt our team more than the absence of any other player on our squad.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think anyone comes close to Kadri.

Plently of players have had their moments but I've lost count of the amount of games that Kadri has just completely taken over.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It is nice that there is no clear winner of MVP. Perhaps the team is playing more of a "team game"!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Phaneuf for the MVP, I wish I could give it to Kadri but I'm sure he'll have his fair share of Leaf MVP's in the future. Kadri's been that spark the Leafs have needed for a looooong time, the opposition needs to zero in on him because he'll burn them if they don't and that just creates space for Lupes and Kulie. Even in the games where he's held off the scoreboard he's been playing very solid defensively and his presence in the lineup really benefits the top line.

That being said this is Phaneuf's team, and this is the first year we're really seeing it. He's scored some huge goals for us and has mentored a bunch of AHL-caliber defensemen into playing solid hockey. He eats up valuable minutes late in the game, and he's a rock on both the PP and PK. Guys like Franson are good players, but having Dion go against the Stamkos's and Crosby's of the Eastern Conference are the reasons they can really excel. If Dion had even a #2 pairing guy with him all season (typically that's Gunnar, but not when he's hurt) then I can't even imagine the season he'd be having.

Also big shoutouts to Reimer and Kessel. Reim's finally finding his game and he's starting to show the confidence that a #1 goalie needs in this league. There's plenty of starting goalies out there who would probably have worse records and stats if they were on this team and on Saturday he even outdueled Marty Brodeur, one of the greatest of all time. Kessel is starting to lose his one-dimensional player status and he's doing it under a much tougher system that Wilson's loosey goosey, let them score 3 goals and see if we can squeak one in when they're bored strategy. He'll never be confused for a two-way forward but with his newfound playmaking abilities and always present finishing touch I think he'd be a dominant player if he had a true number 1 center aside him.

Oh, and Carlyle. But that's saying enough right there.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If Lupul had been healthy all season and played consistently at the level he has displayed thus far, it would be him without question.

Based on the players that have been healthy, I would nominate the following players:

1. Phaneuf

2. Kadri

3. Reimer

It's worth noting that Phaneuf is probably the most under appreciated player on this forum. If he was out for an extended period of time, his absence would hurt our team more than the absence of any other player on our squad.

I agree.

When I hear MVP, I think what player would we miss the most if removed from the line-up. For me, without a doubt that is Dion Phaneuf.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Mcclement. Without him our PK would be terrible and we'd be losing more games than we win.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago

When Franson starts playing against the oppositions best forwards and logging the most ice-time in the league you can say he's more effective. But, until then it's clear that Phaneuf is our best defenseman by far.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Phaneuf for the MVP, I wish I could give it to Kadri but I'm sure he'll have his fair share of Leaf MVP's in the future. Kadri's been that spark the Leafs have needed for a looooong time, the opposition needs to zero in on him because he'll burn them if they don't and that just creates space for Lupes and Kulie. Even in the games where he's held off the scoreboard he's been playing very solid defensively and his presence in the lineup really benefits the top line.

That being said this is Phaneuf's team, and this is the first year we're really seeing it. He's scored some huge goals for us and has mentored a bunch of AHL-caliber defensemen into playing solid hockey. He eats up valuable minutes late in the game, and he's a rock on both the PP and PK. Guys like Franson are good players, but having Dion go against the Stamkos's and Crosby's of the Eastern Conference are the reasons they can really excel. If Dion had even a #2 pairing guy with him all season (typically that's Gunnar, but not when he's hurt) then I can't even imagine the season he'd be having.

Also big shoutouts to Reimer and Kessel. Reim's finally finding his game and he's starting to show the confidence that a #1 goalie needs in this league. There's plenty of starting goalies out there who would probably have worse records and stats if they were on this team and on Saturday he even outdueled Marty Brodeur, one of the greatest of all time. Kessel is starting to lose his one-dimensional player status and he's doing it under a much tougher system that Wilson's loosey goosey, let them score 3 goals and see if we can squeak one in when they're bored strategy. He'll never be confused for a two-way forward but with his newfound playmaking abilities and always present finishing touch I think he'd be a dominant player if he had a true number 1 center aside him.

Oh, and Carlyle. But that's saying enough right there.

NEVER EVER quote your coach as MVP, we all saw what happened after BB pulled that beauty with RW last season:shakehead, the players revolted.:sarcasm:

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Over 20% of the season still remains but at this point its gotta be either Kadri or maybe Phaneuf. For the numerous reasons already stated on here by other hf peeps.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
NEVER EVER quote your coach as MVP, we all saw what happened after BB pulled that beauty with RW last season:shakehead, the players revolted.:sarcasm:

My apologies. While I do trust Carlyle's 18-wheeler driving skills infinitely more than Wilson's it's still a rookie mistake.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area

How does his cap hit have anything to do with whether or not he's our mvp. Were not even up against the cap, we have cap space, so its not like his salary could be used elsewhere. Oh wait, I forgot, your one of the guys who values cap space above anything. Why use 6.5 mil on a top 10 defender when we could have 6.5 mil more in cap space for free agents who never come to Toronto.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
How does his cap hit have anything to do with whether or not he's our mvp. Were not even up against the cap, we have cap space, so its not like his salary could be used elsewhere. Oh wait, I forgot, your one of the guys who values cap space above anything. Why use 6.5 mil on a top 10 defender when we could have 6.5 mil more in cap space for free agents who never come to Toronto.

"cap space above anything"? HA! hardly.

More like i understand the value in good cap management and so do the teams, thats why they spend real money on hiring capologists.

Most valuable player.

When you have two players who's on ice value could be argued as a push, then i turn to the tie breaker and thats cap hit.

For what they have both done and when one consumes only 1.7m in cap and the other 6.5m, the breaker goes to the guy whose is playing well above his cap hit.

At a 6.5m cap hit, Dion is finally,slowly starting to earn what he is paid, sorry but i don't find that overly praise worthy.

Meh, maybe i have standards, maybe i demand that players earn what they are paid.

What a novel concept.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kadri for me. Has been backing other teams up all year. Not great at face-offs but his puck pursuit is so good he isn't hurt defensively. A bunch of other guys have had strong years but he has really driven the offense when the guys they expected were not always there.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hypothetical situation:

Going into the first round would you rather be missing Kadri or Phaneuf for the first 4 games?

(for those of you that like to change parameters, pretend these are the only options)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad