Leafs MVP

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I know these guys dont deserve MVP rights, but the pair of Fraser and Franson has been huge for us. Phaneuf has been great but Fraser and Franson have been giving us solid minutes night in night out all season... Reimer has been good and Kadri has been great for giving us a second all star to worry about.

Disgruntled Observer*

I didn't bother looking in this thread because I thought Kadri was such the painfully obvious choice that it would just be another Kardi blessing thread.

Decided to finally look in and am SHOCKED to see that a debate is actually happening.

But it's absolutely Kadri.
Without even an honorable mention.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Depends on your definition of MVP... I would say Phaneuf is our most valuable player, aka if you subtracted one player from the roster, losing Phaneuf would have the biggest impact IMO.

But has he been our best/most outstanding player? Hmm.. He's in the running, though not running away with it. Lupul (small sample size), Kadri, and Reimer are other contenders. McClement has been incredibly effective in his role, but wouldnt be overall the best player or anything.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
kadri playing vs other tems top lines and hes a +19
kessel vs checking lines and hes a minus 5:nod:
kadri, dion, goalies and PK, ARE THE MVP's
You're getting confused. Kessel's line is taking on the opposition's top defensive line. On the other hand, Kadri is up against the opposition's top offensive line. His line didn't necessarily replace Grabovski's line considering that it's the primary line that starts in the opposition zone. In short, Kessel's line is the primary scoring line and it's a large reason why Kadri's line is so successful.

[Edit]

The MVP is clearly Dion Phaneuf. Simply put, if he's down, we're done. I understand that he isn't necessarily a our quarterback, but he is an elite mobile defenceman. In fact, he resembles mobile defenceman like Pronger.

Nevertheless, he isn't as nasty, but I think he'll play a lot more aggressive if he has a suitable partner. We really need another mobile defenceman. Someone like a Regehr, who is difficult to play against and rarely out of position.

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I didn't bother looking in this thread because I thought Kadri was such the painfully obvious choice that it would just be another Kardi blessing thread.

Decided to finally look in and am SHOCKED to see that a debate is actually happening.

It's not anywhere near as clear cut as you make it sound.

Phaneuf has been absolutely awesome this year. Played big minutes against the best in the NHL. Big hits. Big Points. He's been exactly what we thought we were getting from the trade. Most important, the team seems to have gelled behind his leadership this year.

Reimer has again been solid. He looks like the kid who broke in and stole our hearts two years ago. Under pressure this year he has come up big for us time and again.

Kadri is a monster. Ppg, big hits, big goals and draws penalties like nobody's business. IF he can continue to develop like this, we have our 1c folks.

Kessel gets no love around here. Again most likely a ppg player, Phil has quietly taken his game to another level. He's back checking, picking pockets, and seems to be very aware of the entire ice surface this year. He has turned into a hell of a playmaker too

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Have to agree it goes to Kadri.

Not just for the numbers he has posted, but for playing so well that those with him raise their production.

But you wrong on the no honorable, Reims #s, are team MVP worthy.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

Not really. This team hasn't had problens scoring in the past but it has had goaltending problems. Reimer and to a lesser extent Scrivens has solved that issue. Ask yourself this, where would this team be without Reimer's solid play? Not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

kdot222

Apr 7, 2013
The most valuable player to our team this year has to be Phaneuf. Kadri has been huge, but take him away, and our team still scores a lot of goals. Take away Phaneuf and the D is an absolute mess. The guy chews up 25 minutes of ice a game against the other teams top players, and still manages to put up points ( Tied for 7th in defenseman scoring)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reimer it the teams MVP, because you can't win without a good goalie, but Kadri is our MVP skater this year for how he has carried the offense.

H.M. to Lupul, but injury has prevented him from playing more games to make a bigger impact or he would be challenging Kads for the scoring lead.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Phaneuf, McClement, Carlyle, Reimer(Scrivens) in no particular order.

I'm really happy that we have some forwards that can score and produce points (Kessel, Kadri, Lupul, JVR) but i think the above mentioned guys are the main reason why we are in a playoff spot right now.
I am not a big fan of every decision Carlyle makes but his system really helped this team to be successful. I think i don't have to explain why i picked Reimer/Scrivens.
If i have to pick one player i would go with either Phaneuf or McClement. I don't think we would be anywhere near a playoff spot without them. Probably Phaneuf though(C and big minutes).

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
My problem with Phaneuf as MVP is that he has been great the last 10-15 games. Before that not so much. A month ago most of you (not me) were complaining that he wasn't a #1 defensemen. Now all of a sudden the Leafs would collapse without him? There is only one guy who game in and game out from the first game on, got points, plays gritty, draws penalties. And makes players around him better. That is Kadri. Again most of you guys have short memories.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
1. Phaneuf
2. Reimer
3. Kadri
4. Kessel
5. McClement

I'd hate to see where this team would be without the minutes that Phaneuf puts up.

Lupul hasn't played nearly enough games to be factored into this discussion. Kessel has been putting up points all season and is the only reason his line faces the best defensive players of the opposing team. Not sure why he has been ignored by most fans.

This would be my list.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
The biggest win of the season was the 4-0 in Ottawa.
The three stars were:
1. Kadri
2. Lupul
3. Reimer

That win encapsulates the season so far. Kadri is the mvp, Lupul *might have been mvp if he played full season, and James Reimer has been solid when called upon. There's still 10 games left for Reimer to steal my Kadri vote. If he's the leafs mvp, he'll do it.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The only half-intelligent thing Bill Watters ever said,

"Goaltending is 80% of the game. Unless you don't have it, then it's 100%."

That's why I say Reimer. Kadri has been unbelievable but still....

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Kadri isn't even our best forward, how is he more critical to our success than the only guy who's been even remotely effective between the pipes for us since Belfour? How is he more important that Phaneuf, who's anchored our blue line and chewed up the best players on opposing teams? MVP shouldn't be a popularity poll, which this obviously has become. Kadri has been great, but let's not get carried away. He's not as important as Reimer, he's not as important as Phaneuf, he's not as important as Lupul even in his limited playing time. If it was Kadri getting smushed by the Phlyers instead of Lupul then Grabovski and McClement would have stepped up and filled in just fine until he got back into the lineup. He's not irreplaceable the way you'd expect the MVP to be. Let's be honest, this is the cult of Kadri at work inflating his value to the team to ridiculous levels.

Ok, Kadri isn't MVP:

- Take away the 2pts from that NYI game
- Take away the 2pts from the TBL cuz Kadri was in on 3 of 4 goals.
-Take away the 2pts from that OTT game where Kadri had 4pts (pt on every leaf goal)
- Take away 2pts from that Bruins game we won.

We're already out of a playoff spot, shall I continue?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
when reimer went down we had scrivens who did a good job

when lupul went down we have kessel,kadri.jvr to score

if kadri went down we would have lupul,kessel,jvr to score

if dion went down who would we have to replace these minutes and feel
comfortable in doing so. Who on our team would you feel comfortable with playing 26-28 minutes a night against Tavares,Crosby,Malkin,Ovechkin,Stamkos,Lucic,Clarkson,Nash,Staal,Giroux,
etc. A lot of posters on this board just look at stats and not the complete body of works. One poster said above dion was invisible the first games of the year but he was paired with two AHL dmen kotska and holzer for those games. Once put on with a 3/4 dman like gunnarsson his game has turned up a notch because he can now play his game not worry about what mistakes the AHL dmen will make. Give Dion a better partner, one who enables him to play his game and i think he would be in the Norris running.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Ok, Kadri isn't MVP:

- Take away the 2pts from that NYI game
- Take away the 2pts from the TBL cuz Kadri was in on 3 of 4 goals.
-Take away the 2pts from that OTT game where Kadri had 4pts (pt on every leaf goal)
- Take away 2pts from that Bruins game we won.

We're already out of a playoff spot, shall I continue?

you can say that about Reimer - take away some of the games he has stolen for us and the same thing applies.

You can say the same thing about dion - take away the games he has scored and shut down the other teams superstar and we wouldnt be in the playoffs.

I'm loving kadri and what he brings to the team but he has played sheltered minutes ,even RC has said as much. Could we still win without kadri - I think so

could we still win without dion - well like i said before who could replace his minutes.

Look I think we are in a very good position becasue we now have skilled players on every line and on D. We have a pretty nice core who compliment each other

Phaneuf,Kessel,Kadri,Mclement,Lupul,Reimer in my opinion these guys are our core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad