Leafs MVP

caramelontop

Feb 12, 2013
Thunder Bay
Another big game, Reimer comes up huge and the runaway MVP choice by most on here, Nazem Kadri, with another no show. 12 players with more shifts tonight than Kadri, yeah's that's our MVP alright. Why can't we just accept he's having a breakout season, why do we have to hype the living crap out of him and make him out to be something he's not yet. When Kadri's logging 20 minutes a game, showing up every night and playing against the other teams best and still producing, then we can include him in this discussion. Really, I can't believe Reimer isn't the runaway choice. It's puzzling, but not really when you consider how unstoppable the hype train is in Leaf Nation when it chooses a new savior.

How do I block your posts ?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Another big game, Reimer comes up huge and the runaway MVP choice by most on here, Nazem Kadri, with another no show. 12 players with more shifts tonight than Kadri, yeah's that's our MVP alright. Why can't we just accept he's having a breakout season, why do we have to hype the living crap out of him and make him out to be something he's not yet. When Kadri's logging 20 minutes a game, showing up every night and playing against the other teams best and still producing, then we can include him in this discussion. Really, I can't believe Reimer isn't the runaway choice. It's puzzling, but not really when you consider how unstoppable the hype train is in Leaf Nation when it chooses a new savior.
Man dont you just hate this Kadri kid... I cant stand him. 22 years old 40 points in 39 games best +/- while playing significantly fewer minutes than Kessel and the other 1st liners... I mean where does the kid get off playing in the NHL, especially since he dared beat up on my Windser Spitfires... oh wait did I type that.. I mean Reimer, Reimer's the greatest. He should be MVP.

jughead42*

Wtf is your problem man? I thought you said you would stop unnecessarily hating on him after that game against Ottawa.

Some things will never change I guess.

Oh and please tell me how Reimer has been perfect in every single game he's played this year.

In my opinion Reimer has been the most valuable player to the Leafs. Without him we are hoping for a ping pong ball to bounce our way in the lottery instead of chasing a higher seeding. Look at the kid's record in wins and losses, it speaks for itself! Kadri has been great, but he hasn't been our most valuable player. It's hype. It's not hating for me to point that out. Even if I like the kid as a player I can see he isn't MVP material YET. If Kadri is so valuable why's he pulling 12 minutes a night? He's not there yet obviously.

caramelontop

Feb 12, 2013
Thunder Bay

The kid just assisted a guy score his 5th goal in 301 games and ROB said in his interview that he hopes Naz picked up the puck for him. And you say he's a no show. I hope you are a no show for a change.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
In my opinion Reimer has been the most valuable player to the Leafs. Without him we are hoping for a ping pong ball to bounce our way in the lottery instead of chasing a higher seeding. Look at the kid's record in wins and losses, it speaks for itself! Kadri has been great, but he hasn't been our most valuable player. It's hype. It's not hating for me to point that out. Even if I like the kid as a player I can see he isn't MVP material YET. If Kadri is so valuable why's he pulling 12 minutes a night? He's not there yet obviously.

BTW Jugster. Whatever happened to your theory that Frattins talent was over inflating Kadri's numbers at the 20 game mark of the season. I think you had a similar theory for a while about McArther padding Kadri's stats for a while as well.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

Reimer has been great, but he's been receiving a lot of goal support as well. He's let in 3+ goals multiple times since coming back from injury, and thanks to the Leafs top 5 offense he's been bailed out a lot over that stretch.

And how is it hype? You don't think the leading scorer on this team is a viable MVP candidate?

It's the fact that you specifically go out of your way to denounce his accomplishments, that's what I find ridiculous.

You purposefully single him out but you have nothing to say about anybody else.

And then you say ridiculous things like "another no-show tonight" as if Kadri has been doing a ghost act, when he's been our most consistent producer, and yet you still complain that he's apparently not consistent? Even in his 12 minutes tonight, he set up O'Byrne for a beautiful goal and almost scored one on a takeaway around the Rangers net and just barely missed.

To the bolded, you're cherry picking by using his time for one game. Tonight was the exception, not the norm.

Kadri is averaging about 16 minutes a game, and for the past month that number has increased to 18 as Carlyle has given him more responsibility and ice time due to his excellent performances.

Tonight they didn't have to use him a whole lot because the first line was finally buzzing and took the load off him. Can't expect a 22 year old to do it all by himself every night.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

1.) He actually came out with an assist and 3 hits on the night, continuing his outstanding breakout campaign performing at over-PPG over the past 39GP.

2.) It's really not all that puzzling. James Reimer has been great, no doubt. But he's played in just 64% of our games and let in a fair share of goals at that.

jughead42*

Reimer has been great, but he's been receiving a lot of goal support as well. He's let in 3+ goals multiple times since coming back from injury, and thanks to the Leafs top 5 offense he's been bailed out a lot over that stretch.

And how is it hype? You don't think the leading scorer on this team is a viable MVP candidate?

It's the fact that you specifically go out of your way to denounce his accomplishments, that's what I find ridiculous.

And then you say ridiculous things like "another no-show tonight" as if Kadri has been doing a ghost act, when he's been our most consistent producer, and yet you still complain that he's apparently not consistent? Even in his 12 minutes tonight, he set up O'Byrne for a beautiful goal and almost scored one on a takeaway around the Rangers net and just barely missed.

To the bolded, you're cherry picking by using his time for one game. Tonight was the exception, not the norm.

Kadri is averaging about 16 minutes a game, and for the past month that number has increased to 18 as Carlyle has given him more responsibility and ice time due to his excellent performances.

Tonight they didn't have to use him a whole lot because the first line was finally buzzing and took the load off him. Can't expect a 22 year old to do it all by himself every night.

What coach would only give their MVP 12 minutes in an absolutely crucial game down the stretch? Is Crosby going to have any 12 minute games? How about Chara, is he going to play 12? If he were our MVP that wouldn't happen.

You say you can't expect a 22 year old to do it all by himself every night, but that's pretty much my point. Why are we making this kid who's still learning consistency of effort and how to win a freaking faceoff our most valuable player when he obviously isn't yet? Clarke MacArthur duelled kessel for our team scoring lead, eventually losing by 2 points just a couple seasons ago. Did that make him our MVP that year? Doubt it.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

that has been my largest criticism of him. Nothing less, nothing more.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
that has been my largest criticism of him. Nothing less, nothing more.
He's currently 15-5-4. That's pretty damn impressive. Wunderkind Schneider is 15-7-3 in comparison. My MVP for the team is Kadri, though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Love it.

Kadri line did not get as much Ice as usually as Carlyle was using Leo against Nash. Kadri played well again. He had 3 huge D zone hits and made very good D zone decisions that helped relieve pressure. Had some time on the PK....and was a plus 1 with an assist.

We won the game against NJ 2-1.....Kadri played a key role in keeping the score that way....

So he leads the team in goals, plus/minus and total points.....yeah he needs to pick up his game.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
He's currently 15-5-4. That's pretty damn impressive. Wunderkind Schneider is 15-7-3 in comparison. My MVP for the team is Kadri, though.

Corey Schneider also has a vastly superior SV% (.928 vs .919), GAA (2.06 vs 2.54), more SO (5 vs 2) and has let in 10 less goals over the exact same span of games (25).

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
What coach would only give their MVP 12 minutes in an absolutely crucial game down the stretch? Is Crosby going to have any 12 minute games? How about Chara, is he going to play 12? If he were our MVP that wouldn't happen.

You say you can't expect a 22 year old to do it all by himself every night, but that's pretty much my point. Why are we making this kid who's still learning consistency of effort and how to win a freaking faceoff our most valuable player when he obviously isn't yet? Clarke MacArthur duelled kessel for our team scoring lead, eventually losing by 2 points just a couple seasons ago. Did that make him our MVP that year? Doubt it.

You're comparing Kadri to Crosby, the best player in the world? Talk about hyperbole.

And here you go again trying to pick apart his game. You fail to realize that Kadri has been consistent. He has been the most consistent forward on this team, and it's not even ****ing close.

The MacArthur example is terrible. MacArthur doesn't do much when he's not scoring, and he was on a really hot line. Grabovski and Kulemin both had career years with Kulemin hitting 30 goals and Grabo potting 29 himself. Grabo, Kulemin and Kessel all had more impressive seasons and were more important.

Kadri, even when he's not scoring, is very noticeable every game and is always making things happen, his play away from the puck has been great.

MacArthur was never like that, even in his season where he put up 60 points, there were games where he was completely invisible. MacArthur does not have any grit to his game and is average at best defensively, often making lazy or careless plays.

Also, Kadri has made every linemate better. MacArthur does not have that same effect.

Try again.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Corey Schneider also has a vastly superior SV% (.928 vs .919), GAA (2.06 vs 2.54), more SO (5 vs 2) and has let in 10 less goals over the exact same span of games (25).
True, and still doesn't have a better won/loss record. To me that is the statistic that counts. But I am not arguing that Reimer is a better goalie than Schneider. I don't believe that to be true. I'm just saying that Reimer's record is nothing to sniff at.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I would say kadri.
When lupul broke his arm it looked like things were gonna go really badly for the leafs. Kadri picked up the slack and led the team for a long time. I think his passionate play, like the fight with hedman, plus the great plays, hattrick, numerous hit, really provided some inspiration for the vets. He might not be playing a huge role now but those early games were enough to get my vote.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Phaneuf, he's been the steadying presence back on the blue line. I'd hate to see this team without his big minutes played day in, day out.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
How can it not be Reimer?

As much as I like Kadri, I'd have to seriously debate Phaneuf being #2 behind Reimer.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I dont know about any of you but when

Lupul went down - I said OK boys someone has to pick up the slack - and for the most part they have

If Kadri went down - same thing applies

If Kessel went down - same thing applies

If Reimer went down - Ok boys scrivens has to pick up the slack

When dion got a cheapshot in last nights game - I was Oh No there goes our season - who can play those minutes - and then he was all right and i breathed a sigh of relief. Then when Nash scored his two goals when phaneuf was not on the ice and The other coach said he did that on purpose to get nash away from phaneuf

Well Nuff said

Oh and for the other poster concerned about his cap hit he has more points than Doughty and more hits and doughty cap hit is 7 million, whata bum

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Kadri has to be the early favorite so far.

Although McClement has been quietly very effective. Not a points getter.

Dion should get some mention too, even if it's a whisper.

Lupul's been great when he's played which hasn't been much. If he was a full-timer, he'd be fighting with Kadri for MVP.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Kadri. McClement. Fraser. Franson. Komarov. The five biggest performances and players I cherish and trust the most this season. I can't believe how good Fraser is.

James Reimer

I Stop Pucks
Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
McClement. I'd hate to see our penalty kill numbers without him.

Penalty kill has been a huge problem in the past couple years and has been what killed our chances of getting a playoff spot multiple times. If we make the playoffs this year, McClement will be a big reason we did.

Runner up gotta be Kadri or Reimer. Can't choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->